RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Google Search
Google

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:22 am 

Hi
My grandfather grew up in Quakers Hill, he went to that little school at Parklea - remember if you crossed the railway line at Quaker's Hill and then kept going?
He settled in Blacktown with my grandmother whose father Jack Moon was a blacksmith in Blacktown 100 years ago. They lived in one of those houses just next to Blacktown railway station - near where the trains go off to Quaker's Hill. (The houses aren't there any more)
My mum remembers lying in the grass in the backyard with her sister during the war watching the pilots from Schofield's learning dogfighting over their house. Mum also remembers when Nirimba opened, she and her sister used to go to dances with some of the officers there. She says the CO of Nirimba came to talk to her parents about it - I don't know if that was good or bad!!
Many years later, and after a complicated series of chance events (I won't bore you with the details), I met a 2nd term apprentice from Nirimba. So even though I never went to Nirimba, I went there heaps of times! I remember the dog who lived at the gate, I remember the weird rules there were, and how big the place was. I remember him sneaking me into the division to show me where he lived (I was so scared we would be caught and there would be trouble! - so don't tell anyone, OK? THEY might turn him into a green frog or take away his birthday)
Anyway it is now 23 years later and we are still together, we have 2 kids who are both in Navy Cadets. (They don't want to join the Navy though)
I like being reminded of Nirimba, though for me it brings back all those memories of young love etc which is probably different to the rest of you!!
It is a great site and I like the forum software you use it is my favourite of all the kinds of internet forums I have used.
Thanks,
Angela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:39 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: The Entrance
State: NSW
C'mon Angela... [-X You can't stop there...!!! We want details... Some of us may well know you...! :-k

Who did you marry :?: what year was it that you went to the Nirimba dances :?: and what is your website :?: ours is phpBB, and yes, we like it...!!! :thumbright:

President - MOBI Yacht 'Nirimba' Association Inc.
Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:08 am 
Div. Captain

City or Town:
State:
Angela ! ! !
Great post........Of course you now have the interest of those on this site, although by 1981, a lot these guys were in the early stages of dementia, alzimers, substance abuse, homeless, deviate and just like the normal average sailor :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :- But will no doubt know your partner.
More info for them please.
Cheers Dino.

Cerberus,Albatross,Melbourne,Albatross,Melbourne,Kuttabul and several short stints on Brisbane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:28 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
Hi Angela,

Nice to hear from you. The only young love most of these old farts had at Nirimba was a 10oz glass of Reschs or Tooheys. #-o

I can relate to your story, having met my first wife when I was at Nirimba (she lived just up the road from Quakers Hill railway station), and getting married in 7th term. Only lasted 7 years (2nd one has lasted 23 years so far), but I thought it was true love at the time. Turned out to be true lust.

I see you had a Moon in your family tree. We've got a Moon child too, generally high on diesel or petrol fumes. Hope you're not related to our tartar-headed, train tootin' terror, Jim Moon. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:42 am 

hi all

just seen your site advertised in the RN regulators site and thought i would pay you a visit if there are any ex crushers/snakes/reggies out there feel free to visit www.rba93.com

I visited the land down under during your bi centennial on HMS Ark Royal
and loved every minute cant wait to come back

retired from the mob in 99 and now having to work for a living at Gatwick Airport

keep up the good work and i will let you know if i am coming down under

eon

Post subject: just visitin'
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:02 pm 

Thanks for browsing our Regulating Branch website here in the good ol' UK. We are in our infancy as a website but it is growing slowly. From the Crushers here we wish you all the very best. Jossman, moderator www.rba93.com

Post subject: Visitor from UK
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:34 am 

Hello to all down under. Like many I found you through the Fisgard site which is being bought up to standard by some very clever ex boy tiffs. I am a simple soul that took ages to get into the visitors book! I have not always been simple! I joined the RN age 15 at HMS FISGARD Series 20 January 1954 and subsequently completed 39 years 4 months service before retiring completely in April 1993 age 55 with a Lt Cdr's pension. During my time I never had the good fortune to get to Oz although I once left Singapore during 1960 in the good old Woodbridge Haven en route to Darwin but we did not get there because our RFA was diverted to more important business in Penang. So we had a short weekend in Jakarta and went back to Singers. None the less I have met some good pals from the RAN mostly over here on courses or on exchange on FOST Staff. I also met a few unfriendly types in the Dockyard Canteen at Singapore when I was a young PO of the Patrol. I never could understand why Ozzies piled up their empty tinnies for the Kiwis to knock down as an excuse for a Saturday lunch time punch-up. But thanks to everyone for the memories of a great bunch of guys. I forgot to say, I was an OA, the chaps who put ART in the word ARTIFICER. Keep up the good work with this site and keep on producing the splendid Australian wine that we drink by the bucketful.

Regards,

Colin Giles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:23 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
State: NSW
Hi Colin,

Thank you for your kind words and congratulations on surviving your short stint (39+ Yrs) in the RN.

I would have thought it obvious why we lined up our empty tinnies......it would have been a travesty to use full ones!!!

Yes, I have to admit that our wines are rather good and enjoy the occasional full bodied red, for medicinal purposes of course.

Hope your website goes as well as this one has and make sure the Chippies don't get too pretentious, as ours have!!

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Colin, further to what Brian said about the tinnies, it was also an opportunity to continue our inter-nation sporting rivalry.

In most sports the Aussies are on top, but I'm a little unsure as to where the bar-room brawling result is at the moment.

Eon and Jossman, pleasure to have you here as well.

Cheers

CJ

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject: Guest
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:50 am 

Thanks BC and Seejay for your kind relpies or should I say "good on yer mates".

I see you did well in the rugger tournaments yesterday, another excuse for a few more beers. Ive got a crate of Fosters here but its like Tiger and San Miguel, all brewed in the UK under licence and somehow does not taste authentic and has too many bubbles which make me f..t.

Regards,

Colin Giles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:26 am 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
Hey Colin,
Careful there !!! Mention of that word f..t will have the damned greenies on your back in this country!!! They will accuse you of producing too much methane gas !!! Sad but true !!! The bloody ridiculous idiots !!!
I guess they run around looking like as if they have an egg up their bums, so that they won't f..t !!!

Regards Col N.

:finga:

June 1951/Dec 1963 Ships. "Australia" II, "Tobruk I", "Sydney III", "Anzac II", "Yarra III".............Depots. "Cerberus"x2, "Tarangau", "Penguin", "Lonsdale".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:39 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Perth
State: WA
I hasten to add my old mate Col Nash (Oldmech), is referring to "environmentalists" not God's Green Men!!!

Good onya Colin, Welcome to the Site!

31st MOBI Intake
July 71 to July 81
Nirimba, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, Parramatta, WRE, Yarra, Stalwart, Derwent.

Post subject: saluting men are WRONG
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:30 am 

hi
i'm peta, brett ingrams (member number 630) 16 year old daughter
i do navy cadets, and i have realised that the men saluting at the top of the page are wrong wrong wrong
it's short way up, short way down
they are doing long way up long way down
not even the pongoes salute like that
:rolleyes:
from Peta
ps- this site is pretty cool tho.. my parents are always on it. the saluting is the only bad thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:35 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Well done Peta!!!!

Over 700 ex and serving Navy members on here, and none of them have picked it up yet!

Tell your Dad to buy you a sports car as a reward, you deserve it!!!!!!!!

Cheers

CJ

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:00 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
Hi Peta.

Well spotted. :thumbright:

You have to remember though that this terrific web-site is the brainchild of a couple of Chippies. Don't tell them I ever said so, but they've done a great job. You can't expect perfection however; after all they're not Greenies. :mrgreen:

So don't be too hard on them. Glad you're enjoying the site, and great to see you're in the cadets. :supz: :supz:

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> RAN Skilled Hands GUEST BOOK  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next