Rick

Jock passesd away in the early hours of Friday morning

Here are the funeral arrangements:

Cornelius Gray 'Jock' McCracken
McCRACKEN, Cornelius Gray. 14.12.1925 -
Late of North Curl Curl.
Beloved and cherished husband
for 59 years of Joy. Treasured and loved father of Patricia
Bucknall, Jill Marles and Elizabeth McCracken.

Father-in-law of Geoff Marles. Grandfather of Amanda, Ian
and Skye Bucknall; Daniel, Rae and Kirsty Marles.

Great-grandfather of Hannah and Harrison Bucknall and Luke
Marles.

The family and friends of
CORNELIUS are kindly invited to attend his funeral service
to be held in the South Chapel
of Northern Suburbs
Crematorium, Delhi Road, North Ryde, on Thursday (June
21, 2007) at 12 noon.

No flowers, donations to
specified charities, envelopes at the door.

In The Care Of
WHITE LADY FUNERALS

Manly
A.F.D.A. 9976 0854

Chas

I had the great pleasure (as did 'Charlie',) of serving with Jock in HMAS Tarangau, TPNG, where, (for a LCDR,) he was one of the most likeable identities on the island... A true 'white man' as we say... :thumbright:

Jock and Joy and daughters Jill, Elizabeth and Patricia were ALL very popular and the family always seemed to be more at home with the troops at the island's many banyans and social events, both at the Junior Sailors' Mess and the Chiefs' and P.O.'s Mess, than they were in the Wardroom, and on a number of occasions I, along with many other single sailors, had the pleasure of enjoying the McCrackens' hospitality at their home... :3some:

If the Navy had, (in some uncharacteristic gesture of community) hand-picked a family, who would add to the harmony, enhance the social fabric and break the monotony of twelve to twenty four months on a lush tropical island in the middle of nowhere, they couldn't have done better than to select 'The McCrackens'... =;

Jock was one of those unpretentious true Gentlemen, and his passing will be a sad loss to this world, he will be truly missed by everyone he came in contact with... :notworthy:

My sincere condolences to Joy, Elizabeth, Jill and Patricia... :cry:

I will definitely be attending Jock's funeral service on Thursday... VALE JOCK... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:17 pm 
Div. Vice Captain

City or Town: TUMBI UMBI
State: NSW
Thanks for those words Rick
I've a lot more I want to say about Jock but still too upset at the moment
I just hope anyone who served with Jock can get there if they can. Beaut Bloke ..Beaut family!!
Chas

14th MOBI intake
Jan '63 - Jan '75
Nirimba,Melbourne, Parramatta, Cerberus, Penguin, Lonsdale, Tarangau, Penguin, Parramatta, Waterhen, Melbourne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:47 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Waikiki
State: WA
Shit!!!

Knew Jock during his Tarangau days as well.
An absolute gentleman. Will be sadly missed by all who ever knew or had anything to do with him or his family.

Shit again!

Sympathies to all his family.

Jan'65 Leeuwin Intake (10th) - Jan'66 Nirimba Intake (20th)
Jan'65 to Mar '88
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Stalwart, Samarai, Lae, Penguin, Curlew, Buccaneer, Navy Office, Barbette, Cairns, RANTTU (based in Port Moresby), Stirling, Bunbury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
Received this post script from 'Charlie' Charlton... :evil3:

If you know how to post this on Gunplot there may be many people who served with Jock who would like to be advised of his death...

A great man and friend to many.

Will be sadly missed not only by family, but those he came in contact with in his time in RAN ...especially (on) Manus (Island).

Charlie

I agree with you entrirely Charlie, but regrettably, as both Ned and I are banned from The Gun Plot, (our 'punishment' from 'Stones' for having the audacity to start off our own website...) so I'm unable to post it... #-o

:type: If any of our Members are still Members of The Gun Plot, would you please ensure Jock's funeral notice gets posted there... :notworthy:

Thanks...
:thumbright:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:16 pm 
Sprog

City or Town: Canberra
State: ACT
I also knew Jock during his Tarangau days.
An true gentleman. Will be sadly missed by all who ever knew or had anything to do with him and Joy.
I still remember the pleasure and privilage of an invite to Jock and Joy's "Sak Sak" for an all night BBQ, just bring yourself, thats all, and not allowed to leave until the sun rose, with a beer in hand.
A "whiteman true".
Also met again in Canberra and he had not changed at all.

Sympathies to Joy and family.

20th MOBI Intake
Jan66 to Jan'87
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Hobart - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Harman / Bels(HMAS Hobart x2) - HMAS Swan- HMAS Harman / NO - HMAS Torrens - HMAS Penguin - HMAS Harman / NO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:19 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
Jock's funeral was a dignified and moving affair, (our Dave 'Charlie' Charleton piped Jock's casket into the Northern Suburbs Crematorium's South Chapel playing 'Flower of Scotland' on his bagpipes,) yet with with a typical wry touch of humour, and anyone who knew him would appreciate the 'Order of Service' folder below which sums up the 'Jock' that we all remember... :evil3:

It was lovely to see Joy and the family again, she REALLY hasn't changed..! [-( Hard to believe it's 35 years since we last saw each other in Manus Island... :shock: Jock and Joy spent a total of four years in HMAS Tarangau, Manus Island, testimony to their popularity and acceptance by all... :thumbright:

Having prior commitments at RANSA I couldn't get out of, I wasn't able to stay at the wake, leaving after just one beer, but I'm sure everyone else is still there now... :partyman: (...trying to find Jock's secret stash of Glenfiddich...!) :roll:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 6 posts ]