PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
Received the following sad news via Dick Roebuck today... :(

Name: Dicky Roebuck
Email Address: r.roebuck@optusnet.com.au

Hello to all,

This is Ryan Bidgood eldest son of Kevin Bidgood. I regret to inform you the passing of Dad yesterday 11May07 on his 57th birthday at Townsville General Hospital.

The family would like to inform you all that Dad's funeral service will be conducted at 1600 on Wednesday 16May07 in Cairns.

Regards,

Annie
Ryan
Byron

Kevin was Member #505 on RAN Skilled Hands and no doubt caught up with many of his friends when he attended the 2006 50th Anniversary of HMAS Nirimba last year...

From his signature we know he had a full and colourful career and will be missed by many...

Kevin Bidgood
R43471
Ex WOETW4
23rd MOBI Intake
July 67 to July 87
Nirimba, Sydney, Vampire, Tarangau, Swan, Navy Office, Stalwart, Lonsdale CAC Ikara, Nirimba, Cairns DEE. Ex CMF prior to RAN.

[-( Another MOBI taken too soon, rest on your oars, VALE Kevin... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:08 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
State: NSW
Truly sad, I served with Kev a couple of times and he was a great character.

RIP Kev.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post subject: RIP
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:59 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town:
State:
I remember Kevin from Nirimba days to when he paid off and settled in Cairns and worked at the Cairns Base Hospital. I used to catch up with him now and then when I was living in Cairns. I'm shocked to hear of his passing. Deepest sympathy to his family.

Would appreciate if someone could fill me in on the details by emailing me tad@bovells.com.au or mobile 0428276604

18th Mobi Intake Jan 65
10th Jan 65 to Jan 77
Nirimba, Sydney, Vendetta, Melbourne, Waterhen, Cairns, Stalwart.

Post subject: kev bidgood
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:30 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
State: Victoria
I also was at Nirimba with Kevin. He was a geat guy and a dam fine rugby player if im correct. I was also at Lonsdale when he was at CAC for the Ikara programme and had many a beer in the Chiefs mess at Lonsdale. With us at the same time were Norm Worrall (Dec), Geoff Stirling(Dec), Mark Collins. Lots of others but not many mobies

Smooth seas Kev

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, FMP-W, Stuart, Penguin/Ships Divers course, Stuart, Lonsdale, Melbourne, Kuttabul, Cerberus, Stuart, Swan, Nirimba/ Q course, Cerberus, CPSO-M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
For those attending, the service will be held at 4 PM, at Birkin's Funeral Chapel, 411 Mulgrave Road, Cairns.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:55 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
Condolences to Kevs family and loved ones.

Knew him from Nirimba and Rugby. Top guy taken far too soon.

Lately he who must be obeyed seems to be seeking reinforcements for his army at far too early an age.

Fair winds and smooth seas Kev.

Mike (Pony) Moore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:48 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Kevin's service was held yesterday in a packed chapel, with both of his sons there. They're both in the navy carrying on their Dad's tradition.

Kevin succumbed to meliodosis, apparently contracted in Thursday Island.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:36 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
Very close Seejay; just missed by an eye.. :roll:

For those of you who like me weren't sure what Melioidosis was.....here's all you never wanted to know about it. Scary disease.

Melioidosis is an infectious disease of animals and humans (goats, sheep, pigs, horses, rodents and humans can be affected.) caused by a germ (bacteria) called Burkholderia pseudomallei. Melioidosis infection commonly produces no apparent symptoms. In people who do develop clinical symptoms these may include: skin abscesses or ulcers; abscesses in internal organs; pneumonia; and septicaemia (infection of the blood). It is a very serious disease in people who develop symptoms and can be fatal even with the correct treatment.

The length of illness is variable and is affected by factors including the severity of the disease, any other diseases the patient may have (eg. diabetes, immune system disease) and the treatment given. As it is common for people to be infected with the bacteria and not develop any symptoms, it is difficult to know the prevalence of the infection. Clinically diagnosed melioidosis is relatively rare.

The bacteria which causes melioidosis is common in the environment in tropical and subtropical parts of Queensland, and has also been known to cause disease in temperate areas on occasion. In these areas, the disease is most likely to develop in people exposed to contaminated soil or water. The disease is more likely to develop in people who have an underlying condition. These conditions include diabetes, renal failure, severe injury and major burns. Melioidosis may be spread by contact with contaminated soil or water through a skin wound, by aspiration or ingestion of contaminated water, or by inhalation of dust from contaminated soil. Human to human transmission has not been proven and transmission of the disease via insect bite has not been known to occur.

The incubation period (time from contact with the germ to development of illness) may be as short as two days. However, many years may elapse between presumed exposure and the development of the disease. This suggests that the bacteria can lie dormant in the body and become active after an extended period of time. There is no strong evidence of human to human transmission of the germ. Active infection is treated with antibiotics. Prevention is the primary method of controlling the incidence of melioidosis. There is no vaccination available to prevent the disease. In areas where melioidosis occurs, immediately and thoroughly clean any abrasions, cuts and burns that have been contaminated with soil or surface water. Persons with debilitating diseases and those with traumatic wounds should avoid exposure to soil and surface water.

Though it rarely occurs in Queensland, in February this year Queensland Health issued a warning for people to protect themselves against the disease.

The Tropical Population Health Unit said north Queenslanders were particularly susceptible to the soil borne disease after heavy rainfall, as the bacteria lives in the soil all year round, but summer rain brings it to the surface.

Most cases of melioidosis occur north of 20oS (north of a line at about Bowen). Occasional cases have occurred as far south as Brisbane.
Antibiotic treatment is used in human cases with very long courses of treatment.

Military personnel have developed the disease in association with inhalation of dust stirred up by helicopters.

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:07 pm 
Reg. Chief

City or Town:
State:
I am late in reading this sad news. Only 57. We were at Nirimba at the same time and he spent time on the Sydney when I was there. A great bloke for a greeny and from reading what Robin has to say about this horrible disease, not a nice way to go.

My thought are with you Kev.

23rd MOBI Intake
Jul 67 to 76
Nirimba, Sydney, Torrens, Paramatta, Kuttabul
Merchant- MV Howard Smith, MV SilverHawk
Vales Point Power Station, Eraring Power Station, Retired ill health.
Now???? Living it up in retirement.

Post subject: Kev
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:03 am 

Bloody hell !
RIP mate.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 10 posts ]