Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:19 pm 
Div. Chief

City or Town:
State:
Another sailor has lost his battle with cancer.

Warren Edgar (Wazza) Close, ex-POCK, passed away about 12:15 Monday 1st September, 2008, peacefully at the Mater Private Hospital in South Brisbane.

Warren has been a life-long friend and we had known each other since we were about 13-14. He joined pussers on the 6th July 1968 as a Junior Recruit and paid off on 5th July 1988. After pussers he joined the Merchant Marine (BHP) and worked his way up to Chief Steward. I joined 12 month later as a MOBI.

Our paths were to cross many times up until he paid off in ’88 and had three postings together in that time.

He was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer about three months ago and was initially given three - six months to live. He saw a second surgeon and it was decided he undergo chemo to relieve the pain. The surgeon thought the treatment would prolong things for about 18 months.

I spoke to Wazza about two weeks ago and he had spent a couple of days in hospital getting his pain management under control and he was about to start the second bout of chemo. He was feeling good in himself and pretty confident about the treatment - the cancer hadn't decreased but it hadn't grown.

On Thursday last I received a call from his son-in-law to say he was back in hospital with the pain increasing and the doctors unable to get it back in control. In the usual Wazza style he was arguing with the doctors and the nurses saying he was okay.

Yesterday morning I spoke to his son-in-law once again and Wazza had deteriorated and they thought he may not have lasted Saturday night.

I spoke to the team-leader at the hospital on Monday morning around 11:30 and they had increased his pain medication and he was resting comfortably - it was only a matter of time. Unfortunately he was in no condition to talk.

The final call came at 12:45 from his son-in-law to say he passed away about 30 minutes earlier. It was that sudden it caught everyone off guard.

When he was diagnosed he asked (told actually!) me to do his eulogy. As I started to put pen to paper - well, fingers to keyboard - I realise what a great honour he has bestowed on me and how hard it is to cram 40+ years of friendship into a few short pages. I don't know how I will fair but I'm sure I'll shed a tear or two as I recount his colourful life.

He live life to the full, lived each day as it was his last and when we spoke of his impending death he said, “Shit happens! Can’t stop it. Anyway, I have had a good life.” I just hope I can face up to it like that when my time comes.

As SeeJay found with Lumpy - it leaves a bloody big hole in your life. We would often go many months and sometimes a couple of years without catching up but when we did it was like no time had passed since the last time. I am coming to terms with life without him around and the colourful phone calls at all times.

Farewell, my friend. You take with you the knowledge that you were loved by all you knew. Likewise, thank you for the privilege of being your mate for over 40 years.

July 1969 - July 1994
Nirimba, Penguin, Hobart, Stalwart, Kuttabul, Coonawarra (Reconstruction Team 76), Derwent, Cerberus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
I'm sorry to hear of your and your mate's family's loss Stretch. I didn't know him, but whenever we lose a sailor we all feel the loss of one of our own.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:09 pm 
Div. Chief

City or Town:
State:
So true SeeJay. And it pains me to see that in almost every case it is the dreaded C that is plucking our shipmates from us at a way to early age.

July 1969 - July 1994
Nirimba, Penguin, Hobart, Stalwart, Kuttabul, Coonawarra (Reconstruction Team 76), Derwent, Cerberus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:01 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
Very sorry to hear about Wazza Stretch. Following so soon after the loss of Lumpy, it seems to be a swifter flowing river of sadness. Let's hope it starts to dry up like the Murray.

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:36 pm 
Div. Chief

City or Town:
State:
Tafmo,

We can only hope my friend.

Alas we, the ex-Naval community, seem to be in an extremely high-risk category far exceeding the general population when it comes to the dreaded C!

July 1969 - July 1994

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 5 posts ]