Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
I think he was at Lonsdale when I was, and as you said, PK, a very fair man... RIP, Ike... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:52 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
State: Victoria
Ike was there when I arrived which was in Early 1973. So he would have been there before that. Paddy Collins was the Fst Lt and Ike the XO. There is a photo of him posted on FB. I dont know how to repost it here. He was a bit eccentric. He was seen talking to the trees on the day/morning of Admirals Rounds telling them not to let any leaves fall. On reflection I think it was all a bit of an act to let us sailors think he had lost his marbles.

FB post: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, FMP-W, Stuart, Penguin/Ships Divers course, Stuart, Lonsdale, Melbourne, Kuttabul, Cerberus, Stuart, Swan, Nirimba/ Q course, Cerberus, CPSO-M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:22 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Canberra
State: ACT
Pretty sure Ike was at Lonsdale in mid 74, and was present at the reading of my warrant for being a naughty little ABWM2. I remember he had the shits because I had not had my hair cut before having my warrant read. He was certainly a tough man back then. RIP Sir.

I was posted to Lonsdale for Duchess while she was doing her upgrade to training ship.

July 72-June73
Ex WM,QMG,Bosun,Paid off Sept 93
Leeuwin,Cerberus x3, Lonsdale, Watson, Coonawarra(DNB), Harman.
Supply, Melbourne, Vampire, Attack, Ardent, Brisbane x2, Fremantle(Commissioning Crew), Sydney-FFG 03(Commissioning Crew), Hobart, Cessnock. Go the Mighty Magpies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 pm 
Div. Officer

Yep he was there at that time.

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, FMP-W, Stuart, Penguin/Ships Divers course, Stuart, Lonsdale, Melbourne, Kuttabul, Cerberus, Stuart, Swan, Nirimba/ Q course, Cerberus, CPSO-M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:12 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tura Beach
Sad news PK very British and proper Ike was a good guy as you say tough but fair .
Resat your oars old sailor us youngsters will take over from here.

17th MOBI Intake
July 64 - July 85
Nirimba x 2, Sydney, Lonsdale x 3, Tarangau, Melbourne, Coonawarra, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Jervis Bay, Penguin, Tonga Defence Cooperation, Cerberus Hobart, Harman.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:59 am 
Div. Officer

You are absolutly correct Henry. He and Paddy Collins (Ist Lt) ran a great small but tight naval base.
I saw him many times at the Anzac day parade here in Melbourne. One year I went up to him and said good morning to him. He said I recognise you, Yes Sir says I. He comes back quick as a flash "Young Sneddon!".

Mind you I was about 55 then, so in his eyes I was still young.
He didn't look any older at about 70 -80 than he did at Lonsdlae in the 1970's. Down to the same gravelly voice
Now I'm not sure if he remembered me for good or bad reasons but I must say I left a print on someones mind at least.

They don't make them like Ike any more.
His funeral is today in Melbourne at 1100 So I will, later today, raise a glass to a good guy who did heaps, seved his country in 4 wars and is remembered by many for his good deeds.
RIP Ike Levy

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:07 am 
Site Admin

I'd appreciate it if you could copy/ paste/ e-mail me that FaceBook :happy3: photo of Ike you referred to, PK, and I'll add it to your post in this topic for you... :yes:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:54 pm 
Div. Officer

I think I may have surprised my self. I believe that I worked out how to attach it to an email and email/send it to you Rick.

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:56 am 
Site Admin

=; Both attempts failed Peter, [-X but never mind, I managed to download this one from a Facebook post from his nephew, Phil Levy, ex-LSQMG, who posted: :evil3:
"Thanks for the add Peter. I was trying to join in time to let people know about the passing and funeral arrangements of my Uncle LCDR (MBE) Jack (Ike) Levy.
He passed last Friday aged 94 and was buried today Friday 28th April."

I posted under Ike's pic:

"Fond memories and nothing but respect for your firm but fair Uncle 'Ike' when I was based at HMAS Lonsdale as a Chippy on FMP at Williamstown Naval Dockyard...
That was back in late '70 and early '71, I know, because I just Googled the date of the collapse of the Westgate Bridge which we witnessed :omg1: from the end of the
Williamstown Pier, at 11.50 am on 15 October 1970, having driven under it just three hours earlier...! VALE 'Ike', rest on your oars, your voyage is done..." [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:13 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
The following information was passed on to me this morning. I don't think I ever had the pleasure of meeting, but your watch is done.

RIP Tom
:salute1:

Thomas George Flanagan R58381 CERA - 22/3/1939 - 28/8/2017 Asbestosis

For those who knew Tom, or knew of him, some sad news. Tom was a character and a bit of a larrikin in the early days, but he knew his job and did it well.

Tom joined the RAN in 1961 as a Stoker, but transferred to A/ERA2 in 1965. His Vietnam service consisted of 2 x trips in 1966 in HMAS Melbourne and a full gun line deployment in HMAS Brisbane in 1971.

Tom’s funeral will be Monday 4th Sept at 3pm at the Great Southern Gardens of Remembrance at Mt Cotton.

This will be followed by a get together at the Redlands RSL to celebrate his life.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 61  Next