Google

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
Received the following sad news from Kevin Assenhiem this evening... :evil3:

The Passing of Captain K. (Ken) A. Young

Hi Guys,

Just received this email from Jake Jacobs re the passing of Commander Ken Young and thought you might like to post it on your website for all to see.

Haven't had much time to myself over the past couple of years as I'm now a fulltime Carer for my wife so haven't had a chance to catch up with many old friends like I should. Hope all is going well with you both and hope you are both healthy and happy.

Regards,

Kevin

The e-mail from Jake Jacobs is as follows... :evil3:

Kevin,

It is with the deepest regret that I write to inform you of the passing of Captain K. A. Young RAN (Rtd) after a short illness due to complications arising from a nasty fall at home in Buderim, Queensland.

He is survived by his wife of 67 years, Joan and daughters Sharron and Ann-Maree.

Ken joined the RAN 22.3.1942 from Hobart as an Ordinary Seaman, 2nd. Class. He resigned on the 10.8.1970 as Captain RAN.

To MOBI’s he will be remembered as the Commander at HMAS NIRIMBA (1964-1966).

We will not see the like of him again.

Kind Regards,

Take Care,

Jake Jacobs

VALE Ken, you were well respected and will be well remembered by many on RAN Skilled Hands... R.I.P. [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:51 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
A very astute and straight forward man with a good sense of humour. Just what yoy needed at bonehead college.

He was indeed well respected and remembered and I don't think many (if any) of us ever put anything over him at his table. I know I tried and failed.

Vale Ken, may you have fair winds and smooth seas.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 pm 

Sad news, but I got one over on him at defaulters table once. I was caught red-handed one night taking a big tray of toasted tomato sangers out of the scranhall by the duty wallopers. Talked (fibbed) my way out of it at the table!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

=; If I remember rightly, I believe 11th MOBI Intake's Lee Shimbel married one of Ken's daughters... :-k

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
I remember him warning me for the fourth (or fifth) time at his table in 3rd term: "Do not appear at this table again, NSA O'Keefe!"

It either worked, or I got smarter, or both.

Vale Ken Young. Tough, fair, and respected. No man could ask more.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:53 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
Hippy Chippy wrote:
=; If I remember rightly, I believe 11th MOBI Intake's Lee Shimbel married one of Ken's daughters... :-k

Think you are spot on the money there Rick :thumbright:

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:57 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town:
State:
KA Young is often mentioned when mobi's get together to spin a few dits.

I seemed to be on the wrong side of KA Young from an early age. he was also the XO on Sydney my first ship after Nirimba. I can still remember his greeting to us on our very first day at Nirimba. Those who were at Nirimba with him probably don't realise how much he influenced our lives.

RIP Sir.

18th Mobi Intake Jan 65
10th Jan 65 to Jan 77
Nirimba, Sydney, Vendetta, Melbourne, Waterhen, Cairns, Stalwart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:34 am 
Site Admin

=; Too true Trevor, it's a mark of the men (along with my time as a MUP,) that I have vivid (yet respectful,)
memories of both CMDR James A. Hume (1960 - 1963,) and CMDR Kenneth A. Young, (1964 - 1966,) yet
for the life of me I have no memories of CMDR R. E. Bourke (1963 - 1964.) who served as XO between the
two of them... :dontknow:

:thumbright: I guess I must have had a year without getting in the shit there somewhere...! :lol:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:52 pm 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
As you are aware my Father-in-Law CAPT Ken Young passed away peacefully with members of his family around him on 22 March 2012 in hospital as the result of a serious fall he had approximately three weeks before at the age of 87. In accordance with his wishes there was not any form of service and his ashes will be returned to Hobart where he was born, in due course.
His wife Joan at 91 is doing as well as can be expected with all of the family here to support her. Sharron and Ann-Marie are deeply saddened by their loss but know he is at peace after an extremely frustrating and painful time since his fall. I will miss this wonderful man, a real gentleman, a real gentle man and a real example of the type of person that the navy can produce. He was a great influence on me and on many MOBIs and others who served with him. I will miss his stories of the navy and its characters, spanning 30 years including the signing of the surrender in Tokyo Bay, Korea and trips to Vietnam on HMAS Sydney. He will also be missed by his Son-in-Law Jake Jacobs, his grandchildren Marcus, Simon, Drouin, Alexandra and Benjamin and great grandson Max. Thank you all for your thoughts at this time, Sharron and I appreciate them.

11th MOBI Intake
July 1961 to September 1988
Nirimba x 3, Sydney, Supply x 2, Stalwart, Albatross, Anzac, Leeuwin, Queenborough, Cerberus, Carpentaria RNC Greenwich x 4 HMS Thunderer, HMS Sultan, HMS Excellent, Encounter, Melbourne, Basilisk, GID, Penguin, FOCAF, Tobruk, Moreton, Harman NO, Waratah, Hobart, Zetland, FOCEA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that further insight into the man, Lee, and good to hear from you as welll... :thumbright:

Please pass our sympathy onto Ken's family... [-o<

I was having lunch with Roger Fidler yesterday and we found ourselves discussing the
recent passing of both CMDR James Hume and CMDR Ken Young and we both agreed,
that whilst we probably didn't appreciate it at the time, the Navy (in their wisdom,) had
placed two exceptional role models into the position of XO, both of whom deserved our
respect and both obviously cared very much about the teenage charges in their care... :salute:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 10 posts ]