Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
A chain of e-mails hit my in-box last night, delivering the very sad news of the departure of a true Gentleman amongst the Chippy bretheran, Barry Hann... :salute:

Barry was my Chief Chippy on HMAS Brisbane, a nice bloke to work for who had more than his fair share of challenges during his lifetime, losing a daughter to Lukemia whilst posted there...

Rest on your oars Barry, your journey's done... [-o<

Sad news also, about another well known Chippy I served on HMAS Melbourne with, DENS, Curly Knapp, (mentioned in the e-mails below,) who's funeral was held on 13 July... [-o<

:evil3: I'll just post the e-mail chain, (e-mail addresses intentionally removed,) so you can appreciate the high esteem in which Barry was held...
:notworthy:

Sent: Sunday, 15 July 2012 6:55 PM
To: Nils Blyth; Bob & Marg Moult; Andrew Froude; Dave Seward; Rick Pengilly; Dagmar & Barry Robinson
Subject: Fwd: Barry Hann

Gents

Could you please pass on the news of Barrys' passing, as I have lost the email contacts of many of our Chippy brethren.
My own recollection of Barry, is as a very good natured easy going bloke. he was a Chief Chippy at FMP when I did my time there in 1966.
Regards to all

Ron H

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Fwd: Barry Hann
Date: 14 July 2012 3:43:56 PM AEST
To: Ron & Marg Hourigan, Allan Forsyth, Bob Dutton

Begin forwarded message: More sad news for info and in case you know how to contact those being sought.

Date: 14 July 2012 1:47:39 PM AEST
To: Tom Hanlon, Tony Rumble, David Stone, Derek Robson, John and Laraine Lamey, Jim Parsons, Mick Harrhy
Subject: FW: Fw: Barry Hann

Hullo Gentlemen
Some of you might remember Barry Hann as a fairly decent Chief Chippy in our early days at FMP (Fleet Maintenance Party, you remember). And of course you would remember Curly Knapp.

We, of course, have lost Phillip Brennan from our intake of Chippies. I have left the addresses and full text of the messages below just in case you may be interested in seeing some old names from the past???

Hope this finds you all well (and alive).
Regards
Terry James

PS: this message is passed to eight addresses. I don’t have an email address for Tony Huby but who else did I miss. I am sure 13 of us graduated in 1966 (so Tony and I make 9 & 10, which is about where we ended up in the pecking order from memory............sob!!)

Sent: Saturday, 14 July 2012 10:50 AM
To: Undisclosed Recipients
Subject: Re: Fw: Barry Hann

Sad News indeed. Tom was at Curly Knapp's funeral yesterday. Peter Corran has his number. Vale Barry. Tom Davies

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
Subject: Fw: Barry Hann
To: Paul Anderson. Neil Coysh, Derek Robson, Russ Allom, Terry James, Vince Fazio, Terry Knowles, Roger and Carol (Oyston), John Carlin, Ron Carlson, Max Kean, Elva Marshall, Des & Jan Wirges, Brian Swan, Ray Speight, Bruce Sloper, John Buttle, Greg Hellessey, Niel Bryson, Tom Davies, Chris Oyston, Dave Harnett, Stan Sheldon, Eric Shaw, Bill Forder, Ron Ashmore, Garry Ernest Prince, Anthony Young, MR, Alan Hennessy,
CC:

----- Original Message -----
To: Peter Corran ; Bob Reddacliffe ; Terry James ; John Simmons ; Vivien Lomas ; Brian Swan
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 5:54 PM
Subject: Fw: Barry Hann

To you all out there,

Just opened my mail to see this sad news and thought that you all should know and maybe pass it on to anyone else that may have known Barry Hann. I have already sent it on to Tom shaw for him to contact Garry Pettit

Regards to you all

Ken Cook

----- Original Message -----
To: Ken & Pat Cook
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 3:06 PM
Subject: Barry Hann

Sad to tell you of the passing of another Chippy

Barry Hann passed away in Adelaide on Wednesday 11th July after a battle with MS and Parkinson's.

His wife Lee is trying to contact Tom Shaw but his home phone is not answering. Does any of your contacts know a mobile for Tom.

If known please email me or ring me on 0755232292

Thanks

Gary Pettit

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
Two more blasts from the past have gone to the big Chippy shop in the sky.

I served with both Barry and Curly at various times on various ships, hadn't seen either of them since getting out in 1982 but I remember them well.

It is a fact of life that people who were quite a significent part of one's life pass on, but it doesn't make it any less sad.

Rest on your oars boys, I will think of you often.

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:22 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tura Beach
Very sad news about Barry and Curly like Ned knew both from different postings and remember both as good guys they will be sadly missed .

17th MOBI Intake
July 64 - July 85
Nirimba x 2, Sydney, Lonsdale x 3, Tarangau, Melbourne, Coonawarra, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Jervis Bay, Penguin, Tonga Defence Cooperation, Cerberus Hobart, Harman.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 3 posts ]