Google Search
Google

Post subject: RADM David Guy Holthouse
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:48 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Canberra
State: ACT
Hi all,

Not sure if you have heard , but RADM David Holthouse passed away on Friday morning(yesterday). I have no more details and I won't be back at work until Tuesday.

July 72-June73
Ex WM,QMG,Bosun,Paid off Sept 93
Leeuwin,Cerberus x3, Lonsdale, Watson, Coonawarra(DNB), Harman.
Supply, Melbourne, Vampire, Attack, Ardent, Brisbane x2, Fremantle(Commissioning Crew), Sydney-FFG 03(Commissioning Crew), Hobart, Cessnock. Go the Mighty Magpies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:37 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
State: NSW
Connie,

I'm afraid not to many "fond farewells" for DGH will be forthcoming from this forum, if any.

I'm sorry for the family but he had a lot to answer for with regards to the MOBI fraternity.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
=; You're probably speaking for many who credit RADM David Holthouse with the demise of RANATE and Trade Training in the RAN, BC... :roll:

BTW, I'm assuming that CAPT Guy Holthouse is his son..? :-k

The following is part of a letter I received (as an e-mail attachment,) a few days ago...
:evil3:

"I have been advised that an HMAS SYDNEY I Commissioning Commemorative Celebration will be held at Bradley’s Head, Sydney, on Wednesday 26 June 2013

The Executive and Committee of the HMAS SYDNEY Association and many others have been involved in planning and execution of this Commemorative event.

Those involved include the Royal Australian Navy, HMAS SYDNEY Association, The New South Wales Branch of the Returned and Services League of Australia,
the Australian National Maritime Museum and the New South Wales National Parks and Wildlife Service.

A list of special guests invited is attached. It is expected that they or a representative will attend. Personnel from RAN Command Ceremonial and the Sydney
Band of the Royal Australian Navy will attend and the Celebration will be conducted by the HMAS SYDNEY Association.

The Celebration address will be delivered by the Captain Guy Holthouse RAN a recent Commanding Officer of SYDNEY IV.

A live cross will be made to the current Commanding Officer of SYDNEY IV, Commander Karl Blinckmann RAN. The ship is currently serving with the US Navy Pacific
7th Fleet.

Attendance will more importantly include many Navy veterans from all wars and conflicts since and including World War II and families and relatives of those who
have served since World War I, the grandson and family of the commissioning Captain J Glossop RN of HMAS SYDNEY I will attend.

A function will be held at the Mosman RSL Club after the Celebration with an attendance of 150 expected."

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:01 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Ballarat
State: VIC
Gosh, another one from my old days at the then 'Navy Office", bites the dust. Always sad for the family.

My nemesis back in those days was CAPT Adrian Cummins (Dec). He scared the bejeezus outta me every time he came to my office to see my CAPT. He'd yell and snap at me like a little terrier, but I think it was more for his amusement than mine. :help:

1977-1990; 2000-2010 Cerberus x 2, Navy Office x 4, Albatross, Kuttabul x 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:03 pm 
Div. Officer

BC wrote:
Connie,

I'm afraid not to many "fond farewells" for DGH will be forthcoming from this forum, if any.

I'm sorry for the family but he had a lot to answer for with regards to the MOBI fraternity.

Yes, When I read his Bio, I noticed that he was involved in the introduction of Sailstruc. I did not think many of you older Tiffy's and Chippies would have many nice words.

Rick, CAPT Guy Holthouse is indeed his son. I think he was a Subbie on either Brisbane or Hobart whilst I was on both in the mid 80s.

July 72-June73
Supply, Melbourne, Vampire, Attack, Ardent, Brisbane x2, Fremantle(Commissioning Crew), Sydney-FFG 03(Commissioning Crew), Hobart, Cessnock. Go the Mighty Magpies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:04 pm 
Div. P.O.

City or Town: Hervey Bay
State: QLD
BC wrote:

connief wrote:
Yes, When I read his Bio, I noticed that he was involved in the introduction of Sailstruc. I did not think many of you older Tiffy's and Chippies would have many nice words.

Rick, CAPT Guy Holthouse is indeed his son. I think he was a Subbie on either Brisbane or Hobart whilst I was on both in the mid 80s.

Yes Connie while sad about the passing of another sailor, he completely stuffed the MOBI system thereby putting a stop to the provision of fully qualified tradesmen joining the fleet every 6 months.

I spoke to him on a couple of occasions while in Canberra early in 1982 and he was adamant that Sailstruc was the bees knees and a far superior model than the MOBI that I almost walked away and made excuses not to be at meetings or in groups when he was present.

Sad for the family but not sadly missed by this MOBI.

18th MOBI Intake
Jan 65 to Jan 86
HMAS Nirimba (4yrs), HMAS Hobart (5yrs), RANTAU (2yrs), HMAS Stalwart (2yrs), HMAS Perth (2yrs), HMAS Stirling (2yrs), Navy Office (3yrs), HMAS Stirling (1yr). Civilian Engineering and construction (24yrs), Pensioner since 2010.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:47 pm 
Div. Officer

He was the CMDR Engineer on Supply when I first went to sea in late 73, and I came across him again at the opening of the Vietnam memorial here in Canberra in 92. I was one of the Parade Marshalls and had to have a few words before he led the RAN contingent, as he was not too happy about the way things were happening--I won.

He passed away in Braidwood hospital.

July 72-June73

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
The following have been getting wide distribution amongst the Ex-Navy Community... :evil3:

Subject: FW: Vale David Holthouse

The two emails below indeed pass a sad message.

Subject: FW: Vale David Holthouse

Dear NOC Committeee Members and Divisional Chairmen,

The message from Wally Rothwell below summarises the end yesterday (FRI 31MAY13 at 0840) for the late Rear Admiral David G Holthouse AO RAN (Retired), long time (1995 to 2009) President of the Naval Officers Club of Australia.

David’s sad decline accelerated swiftly over recent weeks. He wrote to me at some length in manuscript with a firm hand and lucid mind as recently as 01MAY13 about his loss of Beechie (who pre-deceased him by two months) and I chatted with him at Gus Murray’s memorial service at Garden Island, Sydney on 03MAY13 when he seemed to be in good shape; moreover he claimed to be so!

Victoria Holthouse, David’s daughter, has been in contact with me. I understand that the funeral service arrangements for David will be similar to those for his late wife Beechie. The service is planned for 1100 next FRI 07JUN13 at the Anglican Parish Church of St Andrew, Braidwood, NSW. Any change to these plans will be advised. I intend to represent the NOC when I will proffer in person to son, Guy, and Victoria, the deepest condolences and respects of the NOC.

I believe that Captain Guy Holthouse RAN and Victoria Holthouse can be reached for the present at Doughboy Hill, Braidwood, NSW 2622 (telephone: [02] 4842 7157).

Addressees above are requested to give the substance of this message as wide a distribution as possible to the NOC family of members and any other persons in the wider naval community whom you feel would wish to know. I am conscious, of course, that there will be many promulgations of David’s passing from numerous sources in the days ahead.

Yours at this sad time

Ralph Derbidge

President

----------------------------------

"Wally Rothwell"
Sent:
Fri, 31 May 2013 15:57:26 +1000
Subject: DAVID
Dear All

It's a sad day, as our dear friend David has left us for a better place at 8:40 this morning. Torie told me that it was very peaceful. She and Guy were beside his bed talking to him, when he opened his eyes and then peacefully died.

There is now a gaping hole in our community of friends and term mates and it is very hard for me to grasp that David has actually gone, so soon after we also lost Beechie. Torie is being very strong and Guy has gone into naval efficiency mode, as you might imagine, albeit with a heavy heart. Little Tommy, who has spent the last few days at the bottom of David's bed is a bit confused, Torie says. He will now be her dog - lucky fella.

While it has not been confirmed yet, Guy & Torie are planning to have the funeral, presumably in the same format as Beechie's, probably next Friday 7th. Matt Taylor will give you the deatils when settled.

David was telling me as we drove up to Sydney for Gus' funeral, after visiting Beechie's grave on the way, that what he really missed was not having anyone to talk to and bounce his many ideas off, Beechie having been such a good sounding board and blessed with a brilliant mind. Well, I would like to think that he has now resolved that problem and he is back together with his soul mate.

Vale David, a good friend and great mate and a serious loss to us all.

As this will be my last missive, I thank you all for taking in my laboured bulletins and for your responses. Jennie and I will be with you in spirit at David's funeral.

WALLY

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 8 posts ]