Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:21 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
State: Victoria
Two gentlemen in a week.
I am very sad to hear that LT Fazio, (can't come to call him Vince) has passed away. He was a great and gentle man. Guided me at Nirimba when I had difficulties.
When he and Charlie Loines were on the prowl no one was safe. They knew all the tricks and we could never understand how or why.

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, FMP-W, Stuart, Penguin/Ships Divers course, Stuart, Lonsdale, Melbourne, Kuttabul, Cerberus, Stuart, Swan, Nirimba/ Q course, Cerberus, CPSO-M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
Just found another great photo memory of Vince, pictured here with Barry Ward (who redrafted TMYN as a round bilge sloop,) as special
guests at the '2nd 21st' (42nd) Birthday Dinner for The MOBI Yacht 'Nirimba' at RANSA, Nov. 5th 2008...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
My most recent memory of Vince was several years ago at RANSA, and it was something to do with The MOBI. I was concerned about the bruises he had on his face and I made the observation that I believed he was a lover, not a fighter.

Vince explained that not long before he had had a heart attack, and when he fell he landed face first and broke his nose. The doctors later told him that his heart attack essentially killed him on the spot, but when he fell the pain from breaking his nose was enough shock to his system to "get things going again."

All this was delivered in his own, matter-of-fact way of describing things as though it happened every day. As everyone else, I looked up to Vince as the penultimate officer, head of department, boss, and leader of men. Sadly, they broke the mould, for none such as Vince will come this way again.

Goodbye Sir, and thanks. :yes:

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:51 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Perth
State: WA
Vale Vince, RIP.

My only claim to fame with Lt Fazio :lol: was when he was the OIC at FMP (Garden Island) in '74.
I was a 'just passed out', 'wet behind the ears' young upstart who was living ashore.
I got horribly pissed one night (surprising, eh!!) at a BBQ, missed my lift into to GID with the Hon Col Kelson.
So when I woke I jumped into my trusty Mazda 1200 in the clothes I was wearing last night, and legged it into GI.
The TOW kindly suggested I explain my tardiness to Lt Fazio on my arrival.
When asked, "Had I been drinking?", my reply was [naturally] "No Sir!". :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:
He suggested I 'get along' and get into my overalls and go and do some work.
Only when I got to the locker room and was getting undressed did I see the large Rough Red stain down the front of my shirt (from the night before!). :omg: :omg: :oopssign:
I guess all the Senior Sailors and Officers had a good laugh at that.

Thanks for not trooping me.
Fair winds and following seas, Sir.

31st MOBI Intake
July 71 to July 81
Nirimba, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, Parramatta, WRE, Yarra, Stalwart, Derwent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

=; Condolences are still being added to :type: Vince's Online Legacy Guest Book... :book:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:58 am 
Site Admin

The Online Condolences Book :read1: for Vince is soon to pass its use by date and will be deleted...
To ensure the many heartfelt messages posted are not lost forever, I've reproduced them below... :down:

Tuesday, 11 August 2015
RIP Vince. Your passion for Royal Australian Navy's history and memories of the warmth of your mateship will be remembered and treasured by messmates and Flight Deck party.
~
Cris George,
Nowra, New South Wales

Friday, 7 August 2015
You are part of Naval history Vince. We will miss you at the Boatshed. Fair sailing from your friends in the Naval Historical Society at Garden Island.

Wednesday, 5 August 2015
One of the last of the true gentlemen, and his loss is felt by so many. Vale Vince, and thanks.
~
Chris O'Keefe,
Cairns

Monday, 3 August 2015
Thanks Vince for including us in your life and making us value the Fazio heritage.
RIP Our Cousin Gary and Diane Fazio.

Friday, 31 July 2015
Lt. Shipwright Officer 1965.
HMAS Nirimba. Naval Shipwrighyt 1965
RANR John Minehan, Drummoyne.
Celebrated 100 years Anzac Day Five Dock RSL together. A true gentleman.
~
John and Peter Minehan,
Drummoyne, New South Wales

Thursday, 30 July 2015
Condolences to Vince's family from President and members of HMAS Shoalhaven Associaion

Tuesday, 28 July 2015
You will always be remembered Vince.
~
Neil Trapp,
Thornlands, Queensland

Tuesday, 28 July 2015
Vale Lt Vince Fazio. I am privileged to have known you during my RAN service. RIP Sir.
Barrie Robinson. Ex CPOMTH4. NIRIMBA entry of July 1962.

Monday, 27 July 2015
One of The true gentleman of this world. He was a father figure to so many boys at Nirimba, me included. He gave us the integrity we longed for far away from our families. He also taught us great skill and fortitude. RIP Sir
~
Peter Sneddon,
Melbourne, Victoria

Monday, 27 July 2015
VALE: To An Officer and a True Gentleman. Rest on your oars Vince, your journey is done... You will be sadly missed by the many, many people whose lives you have touched. R.I.P.
~
Ex-CPOMTH3 Rick Pengilly,
The Entrance, New South Wales

Monday, 27 July 2015
Our deepest condolences to all the Family. We were so sorry to hear of this very sad loss. Vince was a great supporter of our Italian Family History Group and we will all miss him. Più profonda solidarietà da tutti a Italian Family History Group, Leichhardt.
~
Maria Linders,
Leichhardt, New South Wales

Monday, 27 July 2015
Very sad to hear that Uncle Vince passed away. Very thankful that he has passed down & documented our Fazio heritage.
Lee Farlow & family

Monday, 27 July 2015
My condolences to all of Vince's family. He was my Divisional Officer at HMAS Nirimba and I remember him fondly as a generous and fair man. He had a positive effect on many lives.
~
David Simpson,
Wamberal, New South Wales

Monday, 27 July 2015
farewell to an old friend.many fine memories of nirimba/kuttabul.your duty is done RIP.
~
Graham&Cheryl Wilkin,
Bawley Point, New South Wales

Monday, 27 July 2015
Vince Fazio - a Sailor, a Freemason and, above all, a Family man. A great combination and he will be missed by many
~
Bob Mummery,
SAFETY BAY, Western Australia

Sunday, 26 July 2015
I am so sorry to hear this announcement.
Vince was such a wonderful man.
I'll never forget him.
~
Dominic Arrivolo,
Penshurst

Sunday, 26 July 2015
Un sincero addio a un vero gentiluomo.
R.I.P. Vincenzo.
Condoglianze ai tuoi cari.
~
Armando D'Ambra

Saturday, 25 July 2015
Dear Ruth, John & Amanda, so sorry to hear that Uncle Vince passed away. I will remember him fondly and the stories he could regale of our family heritage. Condolences to you all. Louise xxx
~
Louise Falwasser,
Brisbane

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2