Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
Another sad loss, legendary 10th MOBI Intake Chippy, John Hendry has crossed the bar, this from Bob Mummery... :evil3:

Dear All,

It is with saddened heart that I pass on the message that John Hendry passed away from a massive heart attack in Exmouth, Western Australia this morning.

John will have been known to many of you, he entered the Navy as an Apprentice at HMAS NIRIMBA in January 1961 (yes, a proper MOBI) and became a Special Duties List Shipwright Officer in January 1977. A bright spark, a good Shipwright and an excellent Officer; John readily argued for the betterment of the job, conditions of service and life in general. He was not above trying to take the rinse out of anyone within range however, more often than not, it was he from whom the rinse was finally taken. Sometime in the 1980s John transferred from the RAN to the Public Service and spent a good deal of time and effort making HMAS STIRLING (bricks & mortar) into what it is today. During the early 2000s John left paid employment and followed his many passions (not in any order) of; fishing, farming, prospecting and attending many a LARRIKIN’S Lunch (the Western Australians among you will know about that.) November the 4th would have been one of the last Reunions that John attended when he joined a large number of us at Fremantle Sailing Club for a MOBIs, MECHs and DETs reunion.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to John’s family – may he rest in peace.

Further details will be forwarded when known.

Yours aye

Bob Mummery

John was one of the true 'characters' of the 10th MOBI Intake, and if I remember correctly, he was one of the prime agitators of the 'Group Pay Uprising' in Garden Island... He was a thoroughly likeable larrikin, the likes of whom we'll not see again any time soon... I last saw John when I flew over for the W.A. RAN Skilled Hands Smokey (initiated by Viv, organised by Gary Lucev,) and we drank away the small hours at Gary's house, discussing our fond memories of Manus Island, so it is only fitting that the last reunion John attended was the :type: MOBIs, MECHs and DETs Reunion, held at the Fremantle Sailing Club just three weeks ago, on the 4th November 2015... Farewell, John, rest on your oars, your journey's done, you will be missed... H.C. [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:12 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
A great bloke, I served with him on several occasions. "The Hook" as he was affectionately known will be missed by many, especially the Chippies.

Rest in peace matey.

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

:evil3: Picked this up from the e-mail traffic concerning John, (though I may dispute that it was John's Term who built the bar facilities..!) :tchin:

To all the Mobis who followed behind John Hendry, let us not forget one of his first great achievements whilst still at Nirimba.

John was instrumental in the creation of the Senior Apprentices wet mess.

RIP John Hendry.

Cheers,
Ray (Finlay)

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:48 pm 
Sprog

City or Town: Rockingham
State: W.A.
I only just heard myself yesterday that John had died & he will be greatly missed.
It was only a few months back when we both went prospecting together & enjoyed happy memories around a campfire.

R.I.P John Hendry.

Regards

Ted Cooke

Rankin Division Cerberus Feb 68
Feb 1968 to Aug 1986
Gull, Waterhen,Ibis x2, Advance, Cerberus,Stirling, Jervis Bay, Leeuwin, Geraldton, Moresby
URL:www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

:evil3: These also extracted from the e-mail traffic concerning John...

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about John Hendry. He was my Chief Shipwright in HOBART in 1976 when we went around the world via New York for the US Bicentennial. He told some good stories about his time in TARANGAU.

Lost track of him after we left that ship.

Here are a few pictures of him from our line book.

Cheers
Tom de V.

Tom de Voil forwarded the attached photographs depicting a MUCH younger John McNicol Hendry, to say little of the other “youngsters” in the photographs!

Bob Mummery

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:58 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Herne Hill
State: W.A.
Terrible news about John.

I went to school with John. His Dad and my Dad were mates as well.

John went off and joined the navy to get a trade, I did a trade and joined the navy.

We were Chippies together on the Melbourne and at Stirling he was the Works and Property Manager for Stirling in uniform LTSDSH and later as public officer.

We had few drinks together at the Perth Reunion 3 weeks ago and promised each other to catch up.

Never leave it too late to catch up with friends.

Rest in Peace John

Viv

ME(D)-DENS-WOMTH4
1966 to 1986
Cerberus,Duchess,Waterhen,Hawk,Nirimba, Melbourne,Torrens,Perth, Leeuwin,Stalwart,Stirling,Kutabul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

....... Those who only knew John from HMAS Nirimba, will recognise him (as a 'Sprog') immediately..!
"Here is a MUUUUUCH younger one of John & others Jan’61 - Fred" - Photo compliments, David C 'Fred' House

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:47 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town:
State:
Was totally shocked yesterday when news of the passing of John came through.

John's niece (Lyn) married my cousin (Steve) and although I had never met him, stories came through my family about John. When John left the Navy/Public Service he worked on my cousins farm at South Burracoppin for a couple of years.

I finally met him 3 weeks ago (4th Nov) at the WA Mobi's lunch and we had a long chat about the family, Exmouth fishing etc. We were the last to leave the function.

I know he was very well respected and loved by my family and will be sadly missed.

RIP John

18th Mobi Intake Jan 65
10th Jan 65 to Jan 77
Nirimba, Sydney, Vendetta, Melbourne, Waterhen, Cairns, Stalwart.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

Image10th MOBI Intake Chippy, LEUT John Hendry SD(SH) BEM RAN Rtd.

At my request, Bob Mummery has kindly selected a few photos of John, taken 3 weeks ago at the WA RANATE Reunion, to post here...
John Lewis (Jul.'59-7th MOBI Intake), Bob Asquith (Mar.'60-DENS), Geoff Vickridge (Jan.'58-4th MOBI Intake), John Hendry (Jan.'61-10th MOBI Intake).
John Hendry (Jan.'61-10th MOBI Intake) roasting Peter 'PC' Beard (Jul.'69-27th MOBI Intake) - Thanks for the great photos, Bob... :yes:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Received this one from Paulette Dunlop in WA.. :evil3:

Hello Folks

Most of you probably know that John Hendry died suddenly from a heart attack in Exmouth on Monday morning, while on a fishing trip with friends.

He paid me a visit the day before he left, saying he would be gone a week and would try to catchup when he got back, his dance card as usual was pretty full.

We met years ago at a function on Garden Island, where upon he announced loudly to all and sundry, “ DUNLOP'S BOUGHT ALONG A WIDGIE.”

I happened to be wearing a leather jacket at the time, a bit rich coming from an old BODGIE.

I knew straight away he was a keeper and a Larrikin, needless to say we had a great time insulting one another often down the years.

Robert and I were fortunate to have John Hendry as a friend of ours I have mentioned this before but you know “It's later than you think.”

Get out there and do stuff, it will be over before we bloody know it.

Cheers Paulette

Robert and Paulette Dunlop

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next