Google

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
Received the following sad news from Bob Mummery this morning... :evil3:

VALE - RON FORSYTH - MOBI/WEEO/etc

Dear All,

It is with some sadness that I report the passing of yet another MOBI/WEEO?MERCHANT NAVY/PUBLICAN/RETIREE. Ron passed away in his sleep on Tuesday 26 April 2016.

Ron was one of the colourful characters with whom I enjoyed friendship in those halcyon days of MOBI land. He was a July 1961 entrant to HMAS NIRIMBA where friends came easily but study did not however, in the mid 1970s, Ron became a Special Duties List Engineer (Weapons Electrical) officer. Leaving the Royal Australian Navy sometime in the 1980s. Ron then joined the Merchant Navy where I am sure that his electrical background was of good use. He was well known as a person who wanted to run an English pub and rumour has it that he bought a pub in UK and was successful at that as well. Just when Ron retired is not clear but he is known to have enjoyed a retirees lifestyle in Bomaderry, New south Wales.

Ron’s funeral will be held at:
Worrigee Cemetery/Crematorium
Worrigee Road
WORRIGEE (just out of Bombaderry)
1000 Tuesday 3 May 2016

Yours aye

Bob Mummery

------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, 28 April 2016 4:15 PM
To: bob mummery; fred house
Subject: Re: FW: Vale, Ron Forsyth

Guys. I can't really shed any light on Ron's career/activities as there are to many gaps.

What I do know is:

He joined in July 1961
Got promoted to ultimately Lt.
Left the Navy and sometime in the ensuing years...joined the merchant marine...bought a pub in the UK......had a number of marriages, sired a bunch of kids and ultimately retired to Bomaderry on the south coast of NSW.

He had a standing invite to come stay with us in Canberra but always declined. I met him on many occasions over the last 10 or so years but he was a little reluctant to talk about his life except for rare moments and I didn't keep a diary, so I just left it alone.

Bob, I know that isn't much but the request was really to put the message out there for those who knew him to know that he had passed on.

Can't offer much more than that except this.
The funeral arrangements have pretty much been confirmed as follows:

Worrigee Cemetery/crematorium.
Worrigee Road
Worrigee. (just out of Bomaderry)
10 am Tuesday 3/5/16
Cheers
Lofty.
G'Day Fred.

:-k I remember Ron from my early days at RANATE, he was two terms above us, but he wasn't above stirring us Sprogs up on the odd occasion... :b toss:

I later served with Ron at HMAS Tarangau, at that time he was married to the lovely Jan, always a welcome asset to social evenings in the Chief's Mess.
Bob Lofthouse was at Manus at that time as well; I ended up buying Bob's VW Beach Buggy...! :quad:

Didn't cross paths with Ron after that, but I believed he may have had a younger brother who went thought RANATE as well...

Another MOBI taken far too soon... =; Rest on your oars, Ron, your voyage is now done... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:44 pm 
Div. Vice Captain

City or Town: TUMBI UMBI
Rick
Pretty sure he was't married to Jan Angus whilst at Tarangau. I think that romance eventually fell through
Chas

14th MOBI intake
Jan '63 - Jan '75
Nirimba,Melbourne, Parramatta, Cerberus, Penguin, Lonsdale, Tarangau, Penguin, Parramatta, Waterhen, Melbourne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:47 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town:
State:
Remember Ron from Nirimba as well as being my boss on Sydney in 1969. Nice guy.

RIP Ron

18th Mobi Intake Jan 65
10th Jan 65 to Jan 77
Nirimba, Sydney, Vendetta, Melbourne, Waterhen, Cairns, Stalwart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 pm 
Div. Vice Captain

City or Town: TUMBI UMBI
He was also my boss when I first arrived at Tarangau..good bloke bought his car from him when he went south Cortina 440...did lots of bush bashing around the old overgroewn airfield at Momote. Ron had a MOBI brother ..one or two terms behind me (14th)

14th MOBI intake
Jan '63 - Jan '75
Nirimba,Melbourne, Parramatta, Cerberus, Penguin, Lonsdale, Tarangau, Penguin, Parramatta, Waterhen, Melbourne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 pm 
Reg. Chief

City or Town: Lynbrook
State: Victoria
I think I knew him when I was the EMC on Lae in late '70 early '71, sound like the guy who had a nibble of my hindquarters over a replacement Arma Brown Gyro whilst we were on the slip in Maryborough. Very nice guy once the initial misunderstanding was cleared up.

My condolences to his family and friends and wish him fair winds and smooth seas.

18th JRTE Rhodes
Dec 1966 - Dec 1986
Leeuwin, Diamantina, Cerberusx4, Harmanx4, Waterhen, Barricade, Lae, Tarangau, Melbourne, Buccaneer, Coonawarrax3, Stuart, Swan, Adroit, Perth, Vampire.

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:50 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sydney
We had a Forsyth in the 15th intake, Allan William Forsyth, R42751, married to Trish and last known to be living in Warrigee, NSW.
He had a bad accident of some type that involved brain damage(?) that made him a tad difficult and unpredictable, so I believe.

15th MOBI Intake
July63 to March74
Nirimba, Sydney III, Collingwood(UK), WSTG(UK), Lonsdale, Swan, Cerberus, Kuttabul, Harman, Kuttabul(RANTAU)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
Forwarded on from Bob Mummery... :evil3:

For those who knew Ron Forsyth.

Sent: Tuesday, 3 May 2016 7:05 PM
To: Barry Millar; Brian Inall; Buck Rogers; Harry Stone; Ian Hansen; Jack Bryant; Jim McCarthy; Lee Freeleagus; Mel Green; Tim Shakes; Willy Arndt; Tony Rose; young oystons; Jerry Lattin; Bob Mummery
Subject: Ron Forsyth (HOOT!!)

Guys.....Although I have passed on info to some regarding Ron, I just wish to say that it was a great service, an appropriate tear was shed for the man and we managed to get him away roughly on time.

For Bob Mummery, please pass this info on to those who would want to know. Thanks Bob.

For Jerry....I spoke to Jan tonight (she was greatly saddened) and I will follow up and contact with her will be re-established. Greatly appreciate the contact info and i will respond to your email a little more comprehensively in the next couple of days. Cheers mate.

Lastly but by no means leastly, I am sure I speak for all those who knew him. Rest in Peace Ronnie, you shall be missed and you shall not be forgotten.

Lofty

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 7 posts ]