Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:00 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
I received this sad news this afternoon from John Redman.

Peter was a gentleman who served the nation well, both in his service in the RAN and afterward assisting many in the pursuit of DVA entitlements.

I met him several times and was often struck by his readiness to help and his composure and demeanor. Vale Sir, may you have fair winds and a following seas.

Quote:
Very sad news. I served with Peter on SYDNEY, and always found him fair, understanding and caring.
Regards John

Begin forwarded message:
Date: 20 December 2016 3:43:54 pm AEDT
To: mbt@netspeed.com.au
Subject: Vale - Commander (E) Peter Burn OAM RAN Retd
Dear Members,

Since I wrote last month about Peter's hospitalisation, with sorrow I must now inform that he passed away last Sunday. Many ex-Service veterans and former members of the RAN Engineering and Electrical Branches will remember him as a most highly valued friend and mentor.

The funeral will be at Norwood Crematorium at 1030 on Wednesday 28th December. Medals may be worn.

Peter was a Life Member of the Naval Association of Australia. Through his tireless work assisting ex-Defence members with DVA Entitlements and Appeals he was awarded the Centenary Medal in 2001 "For service at a national level to the Veterans' community"
In 20014 he was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) "For service to Veterans and their families, particularly through the Naval Association of Australia.

Sincerely, Mike.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:15 pm 

That is sad :tear: news. I knew Peter pretty well. He helped me a long time ago.
Very sad news. Condolences to his family.
A very good man!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
A real decent bloke. Easy to talk to and very knowledgible, always ready to help sailors.

Farewell Peter, your departure will sadden many. May your final voyage have smooth seas and gentle breezes.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:38 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
State: NSW
It was a long time ago on The Ferry, that I knew Peter as a young 2 x ringer.

Apart from being a real nice bloke, he was also very respected MEO. It looks as though those traits remained all through his life.

RIP Peter, you did good! :salute1:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:11 pm 
Sprog

City or Town: Canberra
State: ACT
I attended Peter's funeral in Canberra last Wednesday, well attended with many old faces to be seen, many more unknown to me from older times, Peter had served in many areas of the RAN. The service was very laid back, as Peter would have wanted it, nice words by family and ended with the Naval Association and tributes, all ex naval persons were invited to lay a poppy on the casket. Refreshment at the Yowani Country Club afterwards. Peters watering hole.
I used to run into Peter when he was shopping in Dickson, dragging along his oxygen cylinder in the end.
True white man to all levels of the RAN. He will be sadly missed. RIP.

20th MOBI Intake
Jan66 to Jan'87
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Hobart - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Harman / Bels(HMAS Hobart x2) - HMAS Swan- HMAS Harman / NO - HMAS Torrens - HMAS Penguin - HMAS Harman / NO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:08 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
State: NSW
Thanks BJ,

Your report is much appreciated. And totally agree regarding Peter being a true "white man" to all.

Glad he had a good send off.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:59 pm 
Sprog

City or Town: Canberra
State: ACT
One thing, maybe most did not know, Peter came from the ranks and started RAN life as a stoker. :aust:

20th MOBI Intake
Jan66 to Jan'87
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Hobart - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Harman / Bels(HMAS Hobart x2) - HMAS Swan- HMAS Harman / NO - HMAS Torrens - HMAS Penguin - HMAS Harman / NO

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 7 posts ]