Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:34 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Vale Anthony (Derps) Alderson, a Shipwright from the January 1960 Intake of Naval Apprentices, as notified below by Brian MacKenzie.

Anthony "Tony" Alderson
Born in Cottesloe, WA, Australia on 29 July 1943
Passed away in Windsor, NSW on 16 February 2018 (Dementia)
Late of Londonderry
Aged 74 years
Funeral service at Supremacy Funerals Chapel, 44 Station Street Penrith on Thursday 22 February, 2018 at 11.30 am.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:37 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Bugger! Tony and I worked like a pair of brown dogs to implement the Metal Fabrication syllabus to replace the Shipwright trade for MTH sailors, starting the first course in 1981. We had to fight virtually ALL the other trades who ALL wanted a 'piece of the action' for the new trade - especially the fitters!

Because of our combined determination (and a few underhanded tricks) we ensured that the new trade was recognised by the NSW DLI from day one, as opposed to all the other trades who ultimately had to fight for what little the DLI would give.

Well done Derps! We did good together. A good man gone.

Note:

I am not sure what rank Tony achieved in the RAN, or what his work history was between the time he left the navy and when he started at HMAS Nirimba. Perhaps someone who knew him better than I could add those details?

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:30 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
State: NSW
I am not aware that I ever had any dealings with Tony, but sad to hear of his passing. For the record, he did his Vietnam War Service in HMAS Sydney in 1965.

RIP Tony :salute1:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:57 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
:sheeesh: Just 18 months ahead of Ned and I, we remember 'Derps' very well... :-k Rest on your adze, Matey, your journey is done... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:18 pm 
Sprog

City or Town: Creswick
State: VIC
Derps and I travelled from Adelaide together on the train to join Nirimba on 1 Jan 1960. We had a day stop in Melbourne and we both went to Luna Park for the day. It seems like yesterday. I'm sorry to learn of his passing.
RIP Derps.

Ex - LEUT SDEN(WE)
Jan 60 to Jan 81
Nirimba, Duchess, Perth, Yarra, Parramatta, Melbourne, Stalwart, Swan, Waterhen, Tarangau, Kuttabul.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
Dear All,

Tony will be remembered by many who served with him from NIRIMBA in his MOBI days, from the Fleet during his Shipwrighting service and again from NIRIMBA during his time as a Civilian Instructor.

Yours aye

Bob Mummery

Date: 19 February 2018 8:13:44 am AWST
To: Dallas Alderson <dallas.alderson@yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Re: Sad News
Hi Dallas,

Sad news indeed. As you are aware, Tony and I shared four years as apprentices at NIRIMBA and saw each other around the Fleet for some years. Later, when he was an Instructor at NIRIMBA, he represented the Instructors' Union at a pay agreement case and I was the management representative. It was a unique experience for us both. Fortunately I believe that a satisfactory outcome was achieved and we parted still as old mates!!!!

Whilst we have not seen much of each other over the years, that NIRIMBA bond, one we were all proud of, remained. Whenever any of us get together discussions and stories of our old mates abound. Tony will not be forgotten.

Please accept my most sincere condolences over Tony's passing and I will make sure that many of his former mates and acquaintances are informed.

With deepest sympathy to you and your family

Yours aye

Bob Mummery

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Feb 2018, at 5:10 am, Dallas Alderson <dallas.alderson@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
Hi Bob,

Tony passed away Thursday night at Hawkesbury Hospital with the family around him, he is at peace at last.

regards,

Dallas

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
State: Victoria
It is nice to read of the fondness that Tony is remembered by his classmates and other people that had dealings with him over the years.
Reading that he died from complications from dementia is also unsettling.
This has to be the saddest of diseases. It robs one of their identity leaving the person only a shell of their former selves.

RIP Tony
As his wife said no at peace.

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, FMP-W, Stuart, Penguin/Ships Divers course, Stuart, Lonsdale, Melbourne, Kuttabul, Cerberus, Stuart, Swan, Nirimba/ Q course, Cerberus, CPSO-M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:44 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
Rest peacefully Derps, I remember you well.
:tear:

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:41 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
I had the pleasure of working with Tony (he, a civvie and me, a chief) in North Sydney during the creation of RUST (Repatriation of US Training) in 1992, later to become Training Centre East moving to Forbes St, Wooloomooloo. He was great to work with offering a wise mind and often giving us a reasoned way forward.

Condolences to Dallas and family.

Tim Kennedy

JR 39th (Ramsay Apr 72) Muppet Jan 73
5 Apr 72-11 Aug 95 (CFTS 23 Jun 03-5 Oct 04)
Leeuwin, Nirimba x2, Duchess, Waratah (Great Lakes 77.81.90), Brisbane x2, Hobart x2, Perth, Waterhen x2, Cerberus, Kuttabul x heaps, Waratah (Dam Neck 94 x 2).

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 9 posts ]