Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:52 am 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
Commander James Hume .BIG JIM passed away 30/11/2011. aged 87.canberra times 3/11/11.

14th MOBI Intake
Jan.63-Jan83 RANR Jan83-Oct 04.
Nirimba, Kuttabul, Penguin, Harman -DNSD, DDG update, DNEP. Sydney, Melbourne, Stuart, Stalwart, Perth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
Sad to hear of CMDR James Hume's passing... :tear: Up there with Knobby Clark as one of the legends of RANATE...

During his tenure as Executive Officer of HMAS Nirimba, fom 1960 to 1963, we had a love-hate relationship,
as a typical MOBI always in the shit for a myriad of trivial transgressions, :roll: I hated regularly fronting up to him, :salute:
he seemed to love dishing out punishment to me...! :violent1:

:-k (In retrospect, I probably deserved most of it...! It certainly didn't marr me for life...)
:oops:

In 2006, at the 50th Reunion of HMAS Nirimba, our paths crossed again, when he attended a dinner for the
13th MOBI Intake, and I did manage to get a photo taken of he and I shaking hands in front of a model of
The MOBI Yacht 'Nirimba', while the real thing was parked on the lawn outside at the Southern Cross Yacht
Club
on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra...

I think I said something like, "Excuse me CMDR Hume, you probably won't remember me, but can I ask to have
your photo taken with me in front of the model of the yacht...?"

To which he replied: "I remember very well who you are...!!!" :shock: Still scary even 44 years later...! :lol:

:type: Image :shock:

Some time ago someone wrote a bio on his career, which was very impressive, I'll see if I can dig that up too... :evil3:

I can still see him in his black patent leather leggings, like some cavalry officer, certainly looked the part... :salute:

His obituary in The Canberra Times doesn't really do him justice...

"Commander James Hume RAN (Retd) Died on 30.11.2011, aged 87 years. Remembered for a lifetime of service to
his country and community by many friends and shipmates.Remembered with love and pride by wife Suzette, sons
David and Graeme, daughters Patricia and Janet, daughter-in-law Kim Summers, son-in-law Phil Emerson, grandchildren
Tane, Susannah, Malcolm, Emily and Caelan, and brother-in-law Steve. Privately cremated"

[-o< Rest on your oars Big Jim, you've done your duty well... :salute1:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:14 am 
Site Admin

I was both surprised and impressed to recieve the following e-mail this morning from CMDR James Humes' eldest son David. :evil3:

The 'bio' which I referred to as having once read in my earlier post, is covered perfectly in James' Eulogy which his son David
has been gratious enough to share with us (below)... I wonder how many of us would have felt differently abourt CMDR Hume,
seen by many as a hard taskmaster and disciplinarian, if we had been priviledged to read of his earlier accomplishments before
he joined us at HMAS Nirimba... :-k As I stated in my earlier post... A Legend...
:salute:

Dear Rick

I noticed that there is a forum of Nirimba people on the web, and my Dad's passing was noted. Someone made a comment
that the obituary in the paper did not do him justice. It was his wish that there be little fuss and a private ceremony.

I am his oldest son, I was at Nirimba from the ages of 7-10 in the early 1960s. Some of your members were probably my
baby sitters, and I watched many of them pass out (sometimes literally) on the parade ground at Nirimba.

My Dad had a remarkable life, and his mind was undiminished even at the end. I miss him greatly. I would be happy
if you shared the attached Eulogy with people who knew him.

Best regards

David Hume

Eulogy- A lifetime of service

James Hume was a career Naval Officer; the Navy was very much a family for him even long after he left the force in 1974. As you came in, you heard the Scottish Pipe Band; he very much saw himself as a Scot, and then the Marches of the Royal Navy and the Royal Australia Navy. I am sure you can imagine Jim issuing the command; “March on the Guard and Bandâ€

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:51 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
Well said Rick. :thumbright: :thumbright: :=D>: :=D>:

Jim Hume had left before I joined but we heard of his reputation while we were there.

Ken Young was the XO that I recall most vividly.

Vale Jim Hume rest your oars a fine job well done.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Mike, I received the following inspiring reply from David Hume this evening... :evil3:

Thanks Rick

My Dad lost his own parents in the war, and the training on HMS Conway was very strict for a boy aged 13-16.

He was a very different officer from those of later eras, graduates from Officer College. He did it the hard way.

I think he recognised that he was a father figure at Nirimba, but also that it was his role to be the "bad guy",
the common adversary that united you all.

He regarded his job at Nirimba as a highlight of his career, he knew and cared about all of his "sons", and
talked about it for the rest of his life.

Best regards

David

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

I received the following from CMDR James Hume's son David in the U.K., seeking help from our Members... :evil3:

Name: David Hume
Email Address: David.Hume@roslin.ed.ac.uk

You will remember my Dad, Commander Jim Hume, died back in November 2011. I am writing up everything I can remember about him, mainly for my own children and hopefully their children. I am looking for photos taken by others to illustrate the story.

I wonder whether any of your members have photographs from their time at Nirimba (1961-1963) with my Dad included in them. I would especially like to see pictures of him in uniform, for example at the passing out parade. Would be very grateful if they could send me a scan (and would be nice to see them on the MOBI site). Talking of which, I would be very surprised if it was not my father who came up with that name.

Thanks

David

If you can help, please e-mail your photos to David at :type: David.Hume@roslin.ed.ac.uk

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:53 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Blackbutt
State: Qld
James Hume, It's sad indeed to hear of his passing, I too ran across him again after Nirimba when I was on Manoora during its modification in Newcastle and a small contingent from the ship attended an anniversary ceremony for the WW2 Amphibious Squadron, on which he'd served. I approached him to introduce myself, he remembered my name but he also knew I was one of the 13th intake and he commented that our term most epitomised the term "MOBI". A thorough gentleman with a lovely wife and it's sad to say that the RAN will never again see the calibre of officer that he represented; who I am today, I owe a lot to Cmdr. James Hume and so to his family I pass on my deepest condolences.

13th MOBI Intake
1962 to 1982
Nirimba, Sydney, Melbourne, Tarangau, Penguin, Albatross Kuttabul, Harman, Hobart, Platypus, Duchess, Brisbane, Moreton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

Received this from Bob Mummery today... :evil3: (Commander James Hume RAN (Retd) passed away on 30.11.2011, aged 87 years.)

I am always amazed at where snippets pop-up from in this network and I am sure that there will be many within who will enjoy Ian Pfennigwerth’s contribution.

Thanks Ian

Bob Mummery

Sent: Monday, 3 August 2020 8:06 AM
To: 'Bob Mummery'
Subject: RE: OBITUARY for CMDR JAMES HUME

Hi Bob,

Sad news. I did not know about his wartime experiences, but he was very forthcoming about his time in command of KD Malaya when I interviewed him for Tiger Territory. I recall that he made strenuous efforts to not be the ‘foreign expert’ and ensured that he ate Malaysian food whenever possible, and attended as many Malaysian ceremonies as he could, often wearing Malay dress.

I attach a few photos of his time in command for the interest of your readers.

Cheers,

Ian Pf

Commodore Dollard (with Commander James Hume RAN) inspects Guard at KD Malaya

Sultan of Johore takes salute at KD Malaya, with Commodore Dollard (and Commander James Hume RAN)

Sultan of Johore at KD Malaya

Malaysian King at KD Malaya with Commander Hume RAN

Sent: Friday, 31 July 2020 3:47 PM
To: Bob Mummery <bandi@iinet.net.au>
Subject: OBITUARY for CMDR JAMES HUME

Commander Michael Taylor, a long time friend of James Hume, recently forwarded a copy of the Obituary that honoured James Hume at his funeral and I on-forward it to my network because many of you, not only the MOBIs from the early years, may have known James. I am also attaching some of the other detail that I received at the time of James’ passing, these two items were circulated then however my network has grown since and that distribution may have missed some.

In memory of James Hume and the motto he instilled on us in our early days, via the Gymnasium wall; “You’ve got to be Fighting Fit to be Fit to Fight”.

Bob Mummery

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

:evil3: The following is a far more detailed, engaging and comprehensive overview of a naval career lived to the max... :yess: (I'm amazed as to why he never rose past Commander...) :dontknow:

Below was a letter of thanks, penned by CMDR James Hume to a reunion of the 10th MOBI Intake of Jan. '61.

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 9 posts ]