Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Ken D Stone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:06 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
I was one of the 35 others who joined up with Ken, January 1961, and who served with Ken for the first five and a half years, Nirimba and Melbourne. As with any group of people there were the inevitable personallity clashes, but I can't remember Ken being involved in any of them. I always focus on peoples positives and Ken had too many to list here.
I would like to share a couple of stories with you, and anyone who knew Ken will appreciate them I'm sure. The first incident involved our joining the Melbourne, January 1965. It was a very exciting time, joining our first sea draft and the RAN flag ship, so one can be excused for wondering how the following could happen. How could anyone be adrift? Somehow Ken managed it. I thought that it was two days, but the passing of time may have made it seem longer than it was. The other story involved a run ashore in Hong Kong. Ken was comming back on board and had half an hour or so to wait for Harcourt Gate to open, so being a very wise and economical young chippy, as most are of course, decided to spend the time resting. He must have a hard night as he was soon sound asleep. Ken woke with a start to find one of the locals going through his pockets. Quick as a flash Ken rose to apprehend him only to end up face down on the lawn. His shoe laces had been tied together. It was a disappointed would be thief that escaped as Ken's loot was cunningly hidden.
For our 40th reunion John Simmons asked that a potted history of each individual of the 10th intake be written. John then organised these into book form. Great forethought John.
As we pass through life we have influence on others, and so Ken will live on in those that he came in contact with over the years.
RIP Ken
Roger

10th MOBI intake
Jan 61 to Jan 73
Nirimba 61-64, Melbourne 65-66, Albatross 66-68, Perth 68-70, Kuttabul FMP 70-71, Platypus 71-72

Post subject: vale Ken Stone
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:00 am 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
It was with great sadness that I heard of Ken Stone's passing away. I served with Ken in Supply in 78,79 and we were stepping oppo's. I was looking forward to seeing Ken and Pam in Canberra next week, sadly now not to be. As robv said earlier in this thread, "To all you folks out there, if you get a chance to catch up with someone from your past , do it . Dont put it off. I'm certainly not going to from now on."
Ken had a very dry but wicked sense of humor, one time when Supply was in Hobart we decided to do a "culture run", hire a car and look at the historical aspects of that fair southern state, ( and in the afternoon...). We lobbed up to the local car rental agency and said "Can we have a car please?" Apparently, an RN ship had been in just previously and had played merry hell with their cars. So the sweet young thing behind the counter said, "I'll have to charge you a $100 deposit" (late seventies dollars mind). Ken said "Thats a bit steep, isn't it?" Things got a bit heated but finally Ken said "OK, and I'll be paying by Bankcard". You could actually hear the wind leaving sweet young thing's sails.
Farewell Ken, fair winds and following seas. Our thoughts are with Pam and family.

Jan 62 to Jan 83
Cerberus 65, Parramatta 66, Cerberus 69, Derwent 72, Moreton 74, Supply 77, Canberra 80, DEE 83.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
A couple of thinngs from Ken's service showed the dignity he kept until the end.

The civilian padre (he also had a navy padre) mentioned Ken's touch of delirium towards the end, and how he woke with a start having to go and store ship. Then, sometime later, he looked at his family and visitors and said 'I'm going to sleep now. I won't wake. Thankyou for coming.'

His family said that he would now be happy to be reunited with daughter Monique (Demelza's twin), who passed away as an infant.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:15 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
State: NSW
I received this e-mail today and thought some of our members may have known Greg.

It is my sad duty to inform you that in the early hours of this morning
(Thursday 11May 2006) that Greg Murray passed away peacefully in his
sleep after a short battle with cancer, aged 42.

The funeral arrangements are yet to be announced but he will be buried in
Cessnock probably Monday or Tuesday next week. I will forward details on
this as soon as they are known, plus authentication for inclusion on the
Big Switchboard.

I last saw Greg about 6 weeks ago when I visited him in Cessnock and he was
at peace with himself. His family have asked to widely disseminate this
information as they are keen for a large navy presence at his funeral.

Mick Sharp
ex-CPOETS
07. 3715.5383

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:51 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
I noticed a listing in the Last Post section of the latest issue of Reveille.

Bovill G.J. R43267

I checked the Skilled Hands at Sea and found a listing in the 21st intake of July 66:

Bovil D.J.

The intake timing and O/N are about right for it to be the same person. I didn't know the bloke but somebody else may be able to confirm or deny.

RIP

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:09 am 

I was in Greg's intake.
I haven't seen him since the Niribba days.
Condolences to his family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:24 am 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
Think you have the wrong bloke, Tsunami. Greg, as a POETS, was at Great Lakes in 1990 doing a Mk 68 and SPG- 53F gun system course while I was doing a GMLS Mk 13 course. We then spent a couple of years on the HOBART together. He was a great bloke. He had a great rapport with his troops. So sad at only 42.

JR 39th (Ramsay Apr 72) Muppet Jan 73
5 Apr 72-11 Aug 95 (CFTS 23 Jun 03-5 Oct 04)
Leeuwin, Nirimba x2, Duchess, Waratah (Great Lakes 77.81.90), Brisbane x2, Hobart x2, Perth, Waterhen x2, Cerberus, Kuttabul x heaps, Waratah (Dam Neck 94 x 2).

Post subject: Greg Murray's Funeral
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:10 am 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
Yesterday, I attended Greg Murray's (Ex- CPOETS) funeral in Cessnock, NSW. His family was supported by a large gathering of friends; a testiment to the great bloke that he was. There was about a dozen of his Navy oppos. Anyone who knew Greg, knew that he lived life to the fullest. The service revealed to us that he was much more than a Navy man. As a parent, he surpassed the challenges before him. As a business man, he seized opportunity. As a member of his community, he was reliable and dependable. As a husband to Nat, he was her joy.

I served with Greg in the US and on HOBART. As a shipmate, he was the kind of bloke we looked for in ourselves. Wish we could do it all again. Vale, Greg.

Crash Kennedy (Ex-CPOETW)

JR 39th (Ramsay Apr 72) Muppet Jan 73
5 Apr 72-11 Aug 95 (CFTS 23 Jun 03-5 Oct 04)
Leeuwin, Nirimba x2, Duchess, Waratah (Great Lakes 77.81.90), Brisbane x2, Hobart x2, Perth, Waterhen x2, Cerberus, Kuttabul x heaps, Waratah (Dam Neck 94 x 2).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:25 pm 
Div. P.O.

City or Town: Freeport
State: Grand Bahama Island
I have just received some really sad news of the passing of Alan Rickards in the UK. Alan was an old mate and collegue of mine . He was an ex Fisgard Boy and a bloody good crane engineer. Going to miss ya mate.

Alan's bio from his RAN Skilled Hands membership profile:

Alan Rickards Official number - M956358K Paid of as - CCEA(SM) Intake - Series 26 9th Jan 56 - 15th May 1979 Ships/Submarines - Fisgard,Collingwood, Tyne,Bulwark,Murray,Dolphin,Terror,Oberon, Aruriga,RNTT Nigeria,Neptune(RNPS),Revenge(P),Dolphin

Steve

4th Muppet Intake
January 1974-January 1997
Perth, Tobruk, Launceston, Bendigo, Sydney, Melbourne. Nirimba, Penguin, Navy Office, MHQ, Naval Support Command, Somalia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
Received this e-mail from Petels today, I post it for your information.

Subject: WOMTP NICK ROSE

Could you please pass on the sad news that ex WOMTP Nick Rose was killed in
a motor bike accident near Cow Bay north of the Daintree yesterday. Nick
was the charge in BARRICADE when I was in BARBETTE late seventies & you may
remember him from your days in CAIRNS in the late eighties when he was base
staff. More recently he's been a civilian techo with the LCHs & Hydro.

Funeral arrangements not yet known but my informant ex CPOETP Ian Potter PH:

40551304 or 41314533 (Bus), can provide more info.

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next