Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:39 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
State: NSW
Served with Bob on Sydney. Another gone at such a young age.

RIP Bob

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:32 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
=; Further to the thoughts expressed above, I received this from 'Dimples' Sheargold, via Bill Krause tonight... :evil3:

VALE - LCDR ROBERT SYKES RAN (Rtd) 058711 [-o<

It is with great regret that I advise of the passing of LCDR Robert J Sykes RAN Rtd, 058711.

Bob passed away this morning, details at this stage are sketchy and I will pass on details as I know them.

Regards,

Dimples

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:43 am 
Div. Vice Captain

City or Town: Trafalgar
State: Victoria
I had quite a few good runs with Bob. Still remember him on Melbourne in Pearl Harbour when he got a little bit tipsy and found himself on the other side of the basin to the ship. Unperturbed by this Bob dived in and proceeded to swim back onboard. The Yanks who rescued the fast sinking Bob couldn't believe he was a Chief Petty Officer. Good times on the SGCE course as well. He was a good bloke and a fine submariner who will be sadly missed. :tear: Far too young.

22nd MOBI intake
Jan 67 to Nov 88
RANATE, Sydney, Melbourne, Waterhen, Watson, Carpentaria (UK), Melbourne,Orion, Otama, Onslow, Platypus, Kuttabul(CODOCK)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:23 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
For those who are interested in giving their final regards to Bob, his funeral will be held at the Anzac Chapel Duntroon at 1100 on Tuesday 7 December, followed by a get together at the Hellenic Club.

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

As Tafmo said: (this was an e-mail from 'Dimples' Sheargold...)

Gents,

The funeral for LCDR Robert 'Bob' Sykes will be held at RMC on Tuesday at the ANZAC Chapel, at 1100. Bob will be cremated and then intered at the Woden Cemetery. The family would like to invite those that can to attend the Hellenic Club for some refreshments on completion.

Dimples

(02)6292-3583

0409 090671

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:21 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
I'm currently sitting in the Qantas lounge in Sydney, on my way back to Adelaide having attended the funeral of Bob Sykes.

A sobering day, a depressing day, and am uplifting day.

Really a roller coaster of emotions, in seeing a good friend off, and catching up with other good friends and acquaintances after the event.

The funeral was held at the Anzac Chapel in Duntroon, and it was a good place to hold it. Bright and airy and functional, with none of the glitter, pomp and circumstance of the Catholic equivalent..... :thumbright:

There was a large group of attendees, and I must admit I knew few of them, which is testament to the life Bob had outside the service.

Naturally there were the faces of the old reprobates from Navy days.....Dimples Sheargold, Knobby Clarke, Bob Rice, Rick Johnson and Dave Twiss.....most of whom were still swapping 'This is no shit.........' stories long after most of the guests had left the Hellenic Club. :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :partyman: :partyman: :partyman: :partyman: :occasion7: :occasion7: :occasion7: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5: :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers:

Of course I did say Dimples Sheargold....so I guess that goes without saying. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The service started with the strains of 'Fields of Gold'....don't know who the singer was....not Sting....but it was very moving.

A few words from the padre and then the eulogy from Dimples....surprisingly for Dimples, fairly short, to the point and not too many sea stories. But captured the man.

Bb's youngest son Mathew gave a speech, and it was particularly moving....I had to resort to the hanky several times...glasses needed cleaning from the inside.....he portrayed Bob as he was, brought out the enthusiasm and intensity with which Bob approached anything, spoke of his strength, his compassion, his drive to succeed, his love for his family and his great strength of character. I had no trouble picturing Bob throughout his description of Bob's life and the impact he clearly had on Mathew, who desperately wanted his father to be proud of him.

I called him before I left Canberra to tell him how much his speech has touched me, and how I was sure his father would have been very proud of him....and I'm sure he would have. Damn, there goes those tears again....must be raw onions in the club somewhere. :tear: :tear:

Playing of the song 'My Way' which was appropriate for Bob, some prayers and words of hope, and strains of 'Air that I breathe' wafting through the chapel as the pall bearers took Bob's coffin to the hearse.

Many sea stories exchanged at the Hellenic Club, plenty of stories of Syke's exploits....and of course many others....and an agreement that the old Navy we knew doesn't exist in any way, shape, or form today, and that we're all much better for the experiences, both good and bad, that we took away with us, and that the world is a much duller place without the likes of Robert Jon Sykes to enrich the lives of others.

Rest in Peace Robert; you'll be sorely missed.

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:19 pm 

Then A Fxxking Miracle Occurs and Tafmo shows he is really a caring human after all. Nice one Tafmo. You did well by your old buddy. Well done. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Good words well said, Tafmo. :thumbright:

Vale Bob, may you enjoy fair weather on your journey.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:00 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
Very well said Tafmo.

Fair winds and smooth seas Bob.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:17 am 
Site Admin

Well said Tafmo, I'm sure Bob would have appreciated your eloquent tribute... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next