Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Google Search
Google

Post subject: Departed Mates...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:14 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
From the 72 Naval Artificer Apprentices who joined with Ned and I in the 13th MOBI Intake we regret the loss of 3 of our Mates:

Bruno Spasic Died in WA -Circumstances unclear
Max Sinclair Died in NSW -Believed to have taken his own life in an light aircraft crash
Dave Philpot Died in Qld -Murdered, purpetrators currently on trial in Cairns

Gone but never forgotten, may they rest in peace...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:32 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
It is with sadness we advise the passing of Warwick Cheetham, a member of the January 1958 Nirimba Entry.

Warwick passed away on the 23rd October of this year, as advised by The Vietnam Veterans Federation.

Our ranks have thinned yet again. Vale, Warwick.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:47 pm 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
Those of us who do remain should think ourselves fortunate for the days we have had, and the days that remain.

Vale:

Peter (Charlie) Mann - May 1973 - Bike accident
John (Bones) Shelley late 80s
Noel Johndahl - late "70s Tractor accident NZ
P (Soapy) Waters - Cancer

30th MOBI Intake
Jan 71- Jan 10
NIRIMBA, SUPPLY, MELBOURNE, CARPENTARIA, HMS DOLPHIN, OTAMA ( Commissioning crew), ORION (Three Times)
OTWAY (Twice), OVENS, CERBERUS, Flag Officer Submarines Staff (Gosport) (UK), HARMAN (Navy Office)
Fleet Maintainence Facility CAPE SCOTT - Halifax NS Canada, MANOORA, MHQ, COLSPO CO NHQ TASMANIA

Post subject: mates gone
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:38 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
State: Victoria
Sadly Norm Worrall R96007 was killed in a motor vehicle accident a few years ago
Also DG(george ) bewert NS turned SD Sh died of cancer also a couple of years ago
peter sneddon

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, FMP-W, Stuart, Penguin/Ships Divers course, Stuart, Lonsdale, Melbourne, Kuttabul, Cerberus, Stuart, Swan, Nirimba/ Q course, Cerberus, CPSO-M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:48 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Perth
State: WA
Vale - Mobis

Tony,
I remember Charlie Mann, rode a Suzuki 500 from memory, and sorry to hear about Bones Shelley. - What a character!!

One more , sadly also a motorbike accident -

Pete Revell - Killed Cowpers Wharf Road early one morning in 1975 I recall. Always rode a Triumph at Nirimba, and also killed was another greenie, name unknown, both from Swan.
A tragic end to one of life's greatest gentlemen. Pete was the Senior apprentice in my cabin, also occupied by Al Kates, and Laurie McConaghey. Ground Floor, King Division.

Farewell - Rocket Man!

31st MOBI Intake
July 71 to July 81
Nirimba, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, Parramatta, WRE, Yarra, Stalwart, Derwent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:46 am 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
Some good mates lost out there. Norm Worrall used to park his '49 Customline hearse next to my '54 Customline hearse at Lonsdale in '77. Norm was one of our hut seniors in second term.

Nirimba,Kuttabul,Supply,Lonsdale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:29 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
Remembering those who were lost in the sinking of HMAS Voyager after a collision with HMAS Melbourne 40 years ago today.

Also to those who were injured as a result of the incident and to those still fighting for compensation.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:59 am 
Div. Chief

City or Town:
State:
Norm Worrell,
I remember Norm with fondness - the first time we met I had just started 2nd Term and Norm, 7th I think. Unbeknowns to me I had latched on to Norm's sister - who was the same age as me - at the end of my 1st Term. She had mentioned that she had a brother who was in the Navy but, being love stricken, I did not put 2 & 2 together.

Well, first day back at the start of the term and Norm confronts me, tells me who's big brother he is and threatens to rip my scrawny sprog-like arms and legs off should I do the 'wrong thing' by his sister. For months after I was too shit scared to even hold her hand.

I next saw Norm in '85 when our ships were tied up next to each other. All the Chiefs came over to our mess for a RPC and Norm looks at my name tag and says, "I remember you - you were that scrawny sprog who was trying to tamper with my little sister!" Again visions of having my (not so scrawny) arms and legs ripped off flooded through my mind but he laughed and we got pissed. Talk about an elephant having a long memory!!

Pete Revell
We were in the same intake and I was at FMP at the time of his death and Swan was in refit. Each morning I would have a brew with Pete before starting work. I still remember rocking onboard Swan that morning to be told the sad news. He and his pillion had been cleaned up by a Kombi if I remember and they, and the bike, were dragged for about 50 metres down the road under the kombi. He was one of life's gentlemen. I still visit his grave every May and remember him each ANZAC day.

July 1969 - July 1994
Nirimba, Penguin, Hobart, Stalwart, Kuttabul, Coonawarra (Reconstruction Team 76), Derwent, Cerberus

Post subject: Departed Mates
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:16 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
Stretch,

I joined and did my Tiffy training with Norm 'Have a Chat' 'Yap Yap' Worrall. Later on I spent another 2 years with him on Swan. I remember working with him for nearly 48 hours straight to fix a generator (em i bugger up no gut tru) and we had to anchor off Malaya until it was done. We busted our arses to get that job done.

We also completed our "Q" course together and had many trips in his converted F100 ambulance. It's amazing just how many blokes you can fit in the back of those things.

Yep, have fond memories of Norm. :cry: :cry: :cry:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post subject: Departed mates
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:19 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town: Robina Gold Coast
State: Qld
Dave McMahon [Dangles, July 1957 entry] passed away in Darwin middle 2002. He was a ship mate of mine on Vampire 1964/65 and I well remember the time in the Phillipines when our mess 3P2 was entertained by him and Dick Hinksfuss at a very down market bar.
Vale Dave

4th MOBI Intake
Jan 1958 to May 1979
Nirimba x 2,Gascoyne, Yarra, Vampire, Melbourne x 2, Thermopylae, Grampus, Onslow, Otway, Ovens, Oxley x 2, Otama.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next