Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:57 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
I have just received the following sad e-mail about one of our own...

Hi, I am Barry Macdonald,
I have the sad duty to inform all who were on John's email list that he passed away this afternoon from a heart attack.
I am sure that his partner Wendy and his daughter Kathryn and grandchildren would appreciate messages or cards of condolence.
To Tank's memory:- May your crossing of the bar have been peaceful, may fair winds and bright seas bless your passage, you will remain in our hearts, mate.
Vale, John Cunnington.

John (Tank) Cunnington, the boisterous, larger than life, loud and rambunctious barrel of a man, was a fellow 13th Intake MOBI, originally an EA (ultimately a CPOETC) and President of the of the Naval Association of Australia, Nirimba Sub Branch on the Gold Coast...

Whilst I joined RANATE with him, I'd not seen Tank for at least 20 years, and was not close to him, I was on his mailing list and regularly received e-mails from him, showing that he mellowed with the years and truly valued his friends...

I'll leave it for his closest friends, those who knew him much better than I over recent years, to eulogise Tank, the first in our 13th MOBI Intake to pass over the bar from the 'natural' causes we all face in later life...

Vale Tank, the world will certainly be a different place without you... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
Farewell Tank, your mates will miss you especially the ones from our Intake of July 66. We are a close knit intake that get together regularly and now there will be a hole in our ranks.

Tank's coffin will be draped with the huge Australian flag, that he and Judy Eastwell "souvenired" from the final reunion that was held at Nirimba, before the buffoons closed the depot. This flag is hung proudly at our reunions as a symbol of our friendship.

Rest in peace buddy.

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:23 pm 
Reg. Chief

City or Town: Lynbrook
State: Victoria
Served with Tank so it was a bit of a shock to hear of his passing, fair winds and blue skies old friend, may your glass always be full.

18th JRTE Rhodes
Dec 1966 - Dec 1986
Leeuwin, Diamantina, Cerberusx4, Harmanx4, Waterhen, Barricade, Lae, Tarangau, Melbourne, Buccaneer, Coonawarrax3, Stuart, Swan, Adroit, Perth, Vampire.

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:31 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town: Lockyer Valley
State: Queensland
Funeral arrangements for Tank

Tanks funeral service will be held, on Friday 27th October at 1200, at Great Southern Gardens of Rememberance Mt Cotton Road Mt Cotton. UBD Ref 245 C 12.

NOV64 TO NOV73
Cerberus - Sydney - Moresby - Melbourne - Lonsdale (Chippies Yeoman) - Leeuwin (TOW)- Queenborough - Kuttabul - Penguin - Nirimba (Admin Leading Hand MED Bldg) - Hobart - Front Gate
UGLQ 164

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:33 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
Here's a great candid shot of John 'Tank' Cunnington relaxing aboard
HMAS Swan, photo from Gary Lucev... :thumbright:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 5 posts ]