Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: Defence News
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
Stroppy Chippie wrote:
Would still dispute the reference to the closure (intentionally closed under an Admirals instruction, nothing more). The image of the District Officers Boat offers it as MB168 when it is MB172. He is correct that MB168 is still in use by the collection at Spectacle Island. Nirimba was the second naval air station. HMAS Albatross was commissioned in 1948 (Nirimba commissioned as a naval air station in 1953) and closed in 1956 and recommissioned as RANATE the following day.

Hi Strop, :hi: you'll notice from the two emails :left: referenced in my post :evil3: that the author, Bill Marcroft has invited 'feedback and/ or comment' on his revised edition, so just email any
suggestions/ corrections on to him on :type: bill.marcroft@iinet.net.au as I intend to do as well... :happy:

:-k (BTW, it should be noted, I believe wisely, that Bill has avoided 'opening up a can of worms', and expanded/ unimportant trivia in general, by choosing not to identify individuals in the many
photos included, as well as excluding too much additional detail, such as the MOBI Yacht 'Nirimba', etc. :captain: On my cursory overview, however, I've spotted a few 'typos' and I do think it worth
mentioning that in my time, the so called 'Quiet Room', opposite the CPOs/ POs Mess, was converted to the Senior Apprentices Bar..!)
:tchin:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:16 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
Thanks Rick, will do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

:happy: I received the following email from Bill Marcroft... :evil3: (My email to him is below :down: his...)

From: bill.marcroft@iinet.net.au <bill.marcroft@iinet.net.au>
Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2024 9:49 AM
To: 'Rick Pengilly' <roman134@bigpond.com>
Subject: RE: NIRIMBA & MOBIs - Success From Endeavour, Rev 2 Update for Review & Comment

Hi Rick,

Many thanks for that, and it has been on my mind to contact you for quite some time. I’ve checked out your RAN Skilled Hands website on many occasions over the years and probably grabbed a few photos here and there. I’m aware that the Quiet Room became the Senior Apprentices Bar (had a few beers there in 7th term) and I decided not to mention it (like many other things). One of the challenges I faced was trying to cover a lot of ground but not making it too long (or wordy), noting that it originally started off as a PowerPoint speakers presentation.

When Bob Mummery put out the call for photos I promised to share the story with everyone. As I started assembling the story I realised that some explanatory words would need to be provided, and in the end, those words essentially became the speaker’s notes for the readers to see. In this revision two version I’ve added still-shot photos that I’ve extracted from the old Skilled Hands at Sea recruiting movie made about 1960 (available on You Tube). That allowed me to provide a better range of photos inside various workshops, 259 Bldg and classrooms which helped to answer some of the feedback I received from the original version. I’ve also tried to give a bit of a changeover explanation of the end of the original apprenticeship scheme and the SAILSTRUC introduction. I avoided going into the post 1972 period as was just too hard and my detailed knowledge of it was insufficient to cover it, and besides that, it was probably covered adequately in CMDR Wilson’s Skilled Hands at Sea book.

You’ll observe that the yacht gets a brief mention, and also its resurrection by your team later on. Again, this was only briefly covered as that was all that it takes for a trip down memory lane. I generally avoided mentioning names and excessive details for simplicity.

I realise that all MOBIs will have differing memories and that we all had variable experiences whilst at NIRIMBA. I’m certain that many people will view things differently to me and this is most likely due to the constant evolution of NIRIMBA’s opening in 1956 until it was decommissioned in 1994. To address all of those changes and details would require a lengthy book.

Any errors you see please let me know and I’ll look at correcting them if get the inspiration for another revision.

I do have a large collection of NIRIMBA photos, mainly from the 1956-1972 period that I need to sort through and make available to everyone (another promise I’ve made along the way). Perhaps your website may be the ideal place for that. It will take a bit of time to finish sorting through what I’ve got (lots of duplicates in different directories).

I’ll keep in touch.

Best Regards,
Bill Marcroft
0407 456 476

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, 8 April 2024 22:56
To: 'Bob Mummery' <mobi_rbm@mobibob.online>; bill.marcroft@iinet.net.au; bswa8516@bigpond.net.au
Cc: John Kelly <jkelly36@bigpond.com>; Chris O'Keefe <coke1917@bigpond.net.au>
Subject: RE: NIRIMBA & MOBIs - Success From Endeavour, Rev 2 Update for Review & Comment

That’s great, Bill, BZ, well done, it certainly covered many memories of my 4 years there, thanks Bob, for drawing our attention to it.

I’ve uploaded it to my Cloud (OneDrive) and posted the info/ link to RAN Skilled Hands so the troops can download it…

I noticed a couple of minor typo’s which I’ll forward on to Bill, oh, and in my time (13th MOBI Intake,) the ‘Quiet Room’ became the
Senior Apprentices Bar..!

Best Regards,
Rick Pengilly - Mobile (0450) 046 785
W.J. 'Rick' Pengilly Ex- CPOMTH3 - RAN - 13th MOBI Intake - HMAS Nirimba - R.A.N.A.T.E. - July'62 to July'74 -WEBMASTER- www.RAN-SkilledHands.org
An un-official NAVY Forum for all ex- MOBIs, Muppets, Phasies, Mechanicians, DENS and other Direct Entry Tradespeople of the ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:26 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
Could not help myself, there was a post on the HMAS CERBERUS Faceplant page regarding a visit of technical trainees from their facility to a visiting LHD alongside in Melbourne. There were a couple of comments regarding the "apprentice" term of current trainees.

I offered: I can remember when apprenticeships ceased with the cessation of SAILSTRUC trade training and move to TTP92 (TECHSTRUC) technician training.

Another reply confirmed that there are apprentice streams and that Wodonga TAFE were taking over training of MTs and ETs ("trade" standard).

I did not point out that the former home of naval trade training is still only 43kms from the fleet Base where this ship is normally homeported whilst the exceptional visit of the ship to Melbourne still saw Cerberus 80kms away from it (though not the "normal" 960kms).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:25 am 
Site Admin

=; I have had three attempts to send the following :evil3: out via our :type: 'Mass Email' function but failed #-o each time, :roll: so whilst I realise this will reach
only our :happy1: regular 'log-ons', :3some: :3some: I figure it's better than :bugger: all...!
:happy: :dontknow:

Hi All,

I've been asked as a special favour to let everybody know that 13th MOBI Intake's Terry Gunton and Pete 'Red' Williamson. along with Pete's son Andrew
(ex-Army Veteran,) are planning to march in this year's Newcastle ANZAC Day March, and have invited any ex-MOBIs in the region to join them...

If you'd like to catch up with them for (or after) the march, you can contact Pete on 0405 082 435 :mobile: or you can email him on :type: mobi648@gmail.com to
make it happen. Newcastle's Anzac Day March will be held (obviously) on Thursday 25 April 2024 from 9:15am – 10am starting from Perkins Street marching
along King Street and finishing in Civic Park. Further details here: :type: https://www.newcastlersl.org.au/anzac-day-2024/

W.J. 'Rick' Pengilly
Webmaster
RAN Skilled Hands

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:14 am 
Site Admin

=; The latest fortnightly edition of :salute1: NAVY News :captain: is now available below :down: for your reading pleasure... :news:

:type: Click on the image of 'The Steel Cat' :cat1: above, :up: or the cover of the current edition below, :down: to access...

:evil3: Items of interest in this edition include:

....................................... • PLAN TO PROTECT AUSTRALIA: Deterrence the key for National Defence Strategy – Pages 2-6

....................................... • ANZAC DAY: Personnel honour service and sacrifice – Pages 8-9

....................................... • LOST AND FOUND: Autonomous systems recover state-of-the-art technology – Page 11

..............................NAVY NEWS is the official publication of :salute1: The Royal Australian Navy.

..........................To read the latest editions of Army News and Air Force News click :type: HERE. :happy:

Click here to view Defence Privacy Policy: :type: https://www.defence.gov.au/Publications ... rivacy.asp

Department of Defence ABN: 68706814312 - R1-GF-C049 PO Box 7901 Canberra BC ACT 2610 AUSTRALIA Ph: (07) 3903 8512

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18