Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:13 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
State: NSW
Seejay wrote:
Brian, a quick question for you....

Were you discussing the unique quality of the grease nipples on the fire tender at one stage? Namely that they had a flat top instead of a 'nipple' profile, and that the grease gun connection would have to slide onto it?

I've had a look through this topic but can't find any mention. That said, if you are looking for such a connection, I found one today in my toolbox in a pile of old sawdust. :lol1:

There was a discussion, I managed to find one and it is sitting down on the shelf next to the truck grease gun (well, the grease gun I use for the Massey Ferguson as well). Thank you. I just need to release the myriad of pipe ends and remove the current 57 year old grease in the piping. I seem to remember another MOBI extraordinaire offering one earlier...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
gsrobertson wrote:
Hippy Chippy wrote:
:yess: Yessiree, :licking: especially the ones we use to :happy1: test the temperature of the beer at the
'Munich Bauhaus' on our Annual RANSH Sydney Rocks Xmas Pub Crawl Smokeys... :tchin:

:love4: Image :love10: :heart:

The right one looks colder than the left one.

=; I take it you mean HER right one, Gordo... :-k ...as opposed to the beer on the right... :drink 42: (as we look at them... the beers, that is...) :roll: :sheeesh:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:32 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Perth
State: WA
Beers, what beers????/ :omg: :omg: :omg:

31st MOBI Intake
July 71 to July 81
Nirimba, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, Parramatta, WRE, Yarra, Stalwart, Derwent.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:18 pm 
Div. Officer

On another Faceplant site an image of what appears to be a Thornycroft cab/chassis appeared with the query as to what brand of truck (I believe the location is between Howlong and Corowa NSW).
I offered the suggestion that it is a Thornycroft and, quite possibly the final batch of three built for the RAN way back in 1953. As with the vehicle at Warragul, Victoria there is no firefighting back end on it (so both ex Albatross units incomplete - cab chassis only). Some seemed surprised that I could even offer the engine and chassis number...........

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:24 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
How's the re-build going ?

Jan 73 to Jan 94
Nirimba, Duchess, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Leeuwin, Stirling, Vampire, Stirling, Waratah, Adelaide, Platypus, Adelaide, Sydney, Platypus, Adelaide, Cairns, Melbourne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:07 am 
Div. Officer

Bruce D wrote:
How's the re-build going ?

Slowed somewhat as priority was moved to the shed build. I have now completed the build of the 8 metre x 9 metre x 5 metre shed to house it (intent is to remove the aluminium skin cabin panels and rebuild the timber frame, rather than continue to work out in the weather). I am looking forward to getting it into the shed so I can post a image of the truck in a right hand bay (mirroring the March 1961 image that Kelly Woods posted).At this time the brakes have locked on and there is a bit of effort required to overcome that issue.
Front doors are completed and back down at the trucks location, rear doors are at home and in the process of repair.
All the missing glass has been replaced bar the shaped one on the cabin on the passengers side. I have found a mob that can do the glass bending though I may look to replacing with perspex.
I have removed what remains of the engine pipe for the Thornycroft engine and it with the remaining bits of the muffler are with a exhaust mob (full replacement). The bloke was a little surprised that I had taken the entire exhaust system for the truck out of the back of my Subaru.
The roof vent has been removed and repaired (nearly), then to be painted. This is the intent with a number of the items on the truck, remove, relocate, repair, return.
Was never going to be a five minute fix but it is not being forgotten about.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:18 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
:prayer: Proud of you, :notworthy: my son...! :goodman:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:22 am 
Div. Officer

I have a wealth of exceptional people from a special training establishment to thank.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:09 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
Well done Brian, you are progressing well. Hope you can make it to the Rocks Run so we can catch up..

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:32 pm 
Div. Officer

Not a great deal of progress occurring on the tender (partly due to it being 254 kms outside of the Sydney "ring of tripe") however, I came across something of my Dads where he recounted being at the 1952 Farnborough Air Show and, particularly, where they were when the fatal accident occurred. I went onto You Tube and sourced the following footage (somewhere in that crowd are my grandparents, Dad and uncle). Of particular interest, noting this thread, is the Royal Navy airport fire tender around the 2 minute 43 second mark. One built before the Nirimba unit............

Dad wrote:

Farnborough Air Show September 22 to 25 1952.
Mum, Dad, Richard and Douglas – Armstrong Siddeley.
John Derry killed with Co Pilot after sonic boom from 25,000 feet. Headed straight for crowd, plane disintegrated, engines flew over our heads into crowd on hill killing 38 people. Fuselage crashed into fence in front of us (speed 600 mph).
Car caught fire on reaching Ivanhoe Road.

1952 Farnborough Air Show Crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J89GTFjEH-c

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next