Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Scams, etc..
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
:roll: Slight variation :evil3: on a theme this time: :faaaarrk: 'Same :shit: different day..!' [-(

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

:shit: Looks like I'm about to miss the deadline...!!! :bugger: Oh well, hopefully that'll mean this will probably be the last of these scam e-mails I'll receive...! :roll:

Image [-(

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:55 am 
Site Admin

[-( Hopefully we're all getting too smart to get caught by this amateurish 'Telstra' scam... :roll: :sheeesh: As well as the obvious, note also that the 'due date' was about to
expire, the 'corporate colours' are not even close, 'nl' indicates it came from the Netherlands, acc. number is clearly phoney, and the generic 'Hi User' is a dead give-away...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:48 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
Please note the scam as reported by John van Maanenberg. I have had a similar scam attempted on me at least twice, so be aware.

Cheers

Bob Mummery

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Sat, Jan 13, 2024 at 9:42 PM
Subject: FW: Email scam
To:

Sent: Saturday, 13 January 2024 7:36 AM
To:
Subject: Email scam

Dutchy Veldtmeyer, Chip Dale, and two of my brothers have already connected with me regarding this scam, and since two members of our mobi's intake have been involved I think it'd be an idea to alert our other intake members of this scam, so they can delete it on receipt of it. I seem to have lost the mailing list, and wonder if you could please step in with yours, as you post regular bulletins to all and sundry.

Best regards,
John van Maanenberg.

My best solution for this sort of scam is to always delete any previous email address/name details before forwarding. That is how scammers get the names and links.

But, most people won't take the few seconds to delete before sending!

And when sending mass emails, always use the Bcc address line. - BC

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:47 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Waikiki
State: WA
:-k If it looks like a duck, :goose: walks like a duck, :goose: sounds like a duck, :goose: it's probably a duck :goose: seems pertinent with these scams etc. :yess:

Jan'65 Leeuwin Intake (10th) - Jan'66 Nirimba Intake (20th)
Jan'65 to Mar '88
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Stalwart, Samarai, Lae, Penguin, Curlew, Buccaneer, Navy Office, Barbette, Cairns, RANTTU (based in Port Moresby), Stirling, Bunbury.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a new amateurish [-( slant :evil3: on an old :pirate1: scam, :bat 6: in with my today's e-mails purporting to be from Telstra...

=; Worth noting... :evil3:

[-( No specific addressee (e.g., to me as a subscriber)
[-( 'From' and 'To' are the same 'E- Bill <infobill@marketingpracticality.com> '(assuming all actual 'To' addressees are Bcc's)
[-( No logos
[-( Phoney 11-digit 'Bill number' (Telstra have 13-digit account numbers)
[-( Addressing recipient as 'Hi User'
[-( Appears English is a second language..!
[-( 'Check Bill' is a live url (NO NOT CLICK ON IT..!)
[-( What is 'bell webmail' and 'My Bell'..? (Presume this was originally targeting Bell Telecom subscribers)
[-( Lots of LARGE suspicious gaps between lines of text (could contain hidden 'spy software' or links)
:director: Be warned... [-X Don't get caught... :icare: :snap:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2024 2:27 PM
To: E- Bill <infobill@marketingpracticality.com>
Subject: Re: Your new Telstra bill for account 19236350199 is attached

Your monthly bill is now ready in Telstra.

Bill number: 19278320199

Hi User, Your new bill is attached and is scheduled to be paid by direct debit on 15th May 2024.

Sign into your bell webmail to view your current and past 12 months’ bills, choose a different payment method or query your bill, please sign in to the My Bell app.

Check Bill

Experiencing financial difficulties?

As part of our Financial Hardship Policy, we can offer flexibility if you're having trouble making payment. Please contact us on 13 2200 to discuss your options.

Regards,
Your Telstra Team

Always here to help.

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 9:53 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
I also received that Rick. Think it was the same word for word. Can't check as it went to permanent deletion.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

=; As well as getting another 'Telstra - My Bell' e-mail tonight, Pony, complete with three 'live links'... :down:

[-( ...I also got this one, :down: which I shared with the keeper of the most definitive of MOBI Lists, :evil3: Bob Mummery...

--------------------------------------------

Hi Bob, trust this finds you fit and well…

Just a quickie, I received the unexpected/ unsolicited/ suspect e-mail below today, supposedly from ‘David Highnam’… Point being
that whilst I’m well aware who David Highman is/ was (12th MOBI Intake, the term above our 13th,) and I remember him as a likeable,
quiet, ‘gentlemanly’ type, I don’t remember ever having spoken directly to him, nor corresponded with him in any way, nor needed to…

The text is classic/ typical scam/ phishing tactics, i.e., ‘laryngitis’ so you won’t try to call him, request for acknowledgement/ receipt
of the e-mail, proving you, the recipient is a ‘live’/'active' contact for further follow up…

I’m interested to know if you’ve heard from ‘David’ yourself, or if anybody else on your vast list of MOBIs has had similar e-mails, also
this e-mail address ends in .ca which according to Internet domain lists is Canada…

It seems ‘wcgwave.ca’ is a well-established scam site: https://ebrandon.ca/messagethread.aspx? ... cat_id=239

Here’s what ‘Reddit’ says on the the 'Laryngitis' scam: https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments ... riend_has/

"Laryngitis scam, an email says your friend has laryngitis so they are contacting you by email. They want you to buy a gift card
for a friend. They will pay you back.

I got an email from a friend that said they had laryngitis so they could not talk over the phone. Very convenient you cannot check to see
if it is your friend because you cannot talk to them.
The email says that my friend wants to buy a gift card for a friend with a serious disease, but when they tried to send them the gift card
something went wrong with the bank. Could I help by sending the gift card.
Gift card requests are always a red flag and the coincidence that they have laryngitis and that there was a problem with them sending
the gift card is another big red flag.
Is this a new scam? I Googled laryngitis and gift card scam and came up with nothing relevant. I am particularly interested in the laryngitis
aspect of the scam."

Bottom line, Bob, it’s a scam, and clearly, David Highnam’s legit e-mail address is NOT David Highnam academyvideo@wcgwave.ca
however, his name has been stolen from someone else’s list, then mailed out to everyone on THAT list… Whoever had the original list
has had his e-mails and his e-mail contact lists well and truly hacked…! Hopefully someone can inform Dave that his name’s out there..!

Keep up the good work…

Best Regards,

Rick P.

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:58 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
I also received a very similar email from "navymanmandurah@west..... (I can't remember the rest)

Pretty much the same text message, but signed Bob.

I just deleted it through my "Mailwasher" program at my ISP.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9