Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scams, etc..
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:19 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Waikiki
State: WA
DirtyDiesel wrote:
Had the same scam email two days ago saying my Toll account was overdue

So much for that as in WA we do not have Road tolls

Bloody scammers

:cat1: :stupid:

You and me both Charlie.

Jan'65 Leeuwin Intake (10th) - Jan'66 Nirimba Intake (20th)
Jan'65 to Mar '88
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Stalwart, Samarai, Lae, Penguin, Curlew, Buccaneer, Navy Office, Barbette, Cairns, RANTTU (based in Port Moresby), Stirling, Bunbury.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
Hmmm... :-k Interesting observation :evil3: worth knowing...! :happy: Image

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:48 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
Stroppy Chippie wrote:
Had one of those "usual" Telstra calls from "George" regarding our internet connection (calling from "Melbourne"), I asked him what his original nationality was considering the accent. He repeated (three times) that he is in Australia (Melbourne) and I repeated the question, for the fourth time on his original nationality. He stumbled and said "India". Then I asked what his Indian name was (at least twice) and he ultimately stumbled and said "Rikash" (not sure of the spelling). Then I said "So Rikash, what is the problem with my internet" and he waffled on with their organised speil. I asked him to repeat the issue, three times, each time using the Indian name he gave. I thanked him for the call and told him that, as I do not touch the mechanics of the computer (having a technician wallah to do that), I would pass on the issue to my technician wallah to fix it. I then hung up whilst he was still on the line..............

I allway tell them that my computer is a Commodore 64, and will this fix work on Commodore Basic.

Jan 73 to Jan 94
Nirimba, Duchess, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Leeuwin, Stirling, Vampire, Stirling, Waratah, Adelaide, Platypus, Adelaide, Sydney, Platypus, Adelaide, Cairns, Melbourne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:54 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Bruce D wrote:
Stroppy Chippie wrote:
Had one of those "usual" Telstra calls from "George" regarding our internet connection (calling from "Melbourne"), I asked him what his original nationality was considering the accent. He repeated (three times) that he is in Australia (Melbourne) and I repeated the question, for the fourth time on his original nationality. He stumbled and said "India". Then I asked what his Indian name was (at least twice) and he ultimately stumbled and said "Rikash" (not sure of the spelling). Then I said "So Rikash, what is the problem with my internet" and he waffled on with their organised speil. I asked him to repeat the issue, three times, each time using the Indian name he gave. I thanked him for the call and told him that, as I do not touch the mechanics of the computer (having a technician wallah to do that), I would pass on the issue to my technician wallah to fix it. I then hung up whilst he was still on the line..............

I allway tell them that my computer is a Commodore 64, and will this fix work on Commodore Basic.

Good one Bruce! :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

:-k I received a strange email today that started the :type: alarm bells ringing..! =; Now in fairness to the shonky sender, (who'd done their homework, as there are a few rumours recently circulating about
@bigpond.com email addresses, which I'll explain shortly,)
there was probably enough to trick some unwary older recipients into thinking it might be 'legit' and get sucked into clicking on 'UPDATE NOW' :dontknow:
............ Image
The recent rumours :argue: circulating that I referred to are along the lines that Telstra is dropping the 'Bigpond' bit and as a result, if you don't update your Bigpond email address/s you would simply drop
out of the system... :pharque: Wanting to learn more, but not wishing to follow the advice in the email, I rang Telstra.com to get the true guff... :yess:

=; TRUE: Telstra is not adding any more new @bigpond.com email addresses to the system, in fact, they're not adding ANY new email addresses to the system..! NEW customers are being advised to register
with @gmail.com, or @outlook.com, or @hotmail.com, or similar... Telstra hopes to opt out of the email business completely... in due course...

[-X FALSE: Current @bigpond.com email holders WON'T be dropped off the system, Telstra will maintain/ service them 'ad infinitum', or until the customer deletes them themselves, thus allowing 'natural
attrition'
to eventually close Telstra's email system down altogether..! :omg1: IMPORTANT: Ensure you know the PASSWORDS associated with ALL your @bigpond.com accounts as you may need them for access...

...................................................... P.S. :evil3: BTW... Watch out for: :type: . :bob light: Despicable Me #4 :bob light: due for release in theatres on July 3, 2024...! :yess:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:49 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
I received a very similar email yesterday.
Similarly, checked the from address etc and then block sender and delete. :ok:
There are heaps of them at the moment. :roll:

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, they're at it again...! :down: Scroll back up two posts :up: to see my discussion points with Telstra...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

:evil3: Yet another one... :roll: Note the 'sender': Admin Support < louise @ louise collins associates . com > (minus the spaces, obviously...)
Last one was from bill n liz @ hotmail . com :laughing3: and the previous one :laughing3: was from: Email info . < etransfer goods and services @ g mail . com >

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:40 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Callala Bay
When I get a call from one of these Indian scammers, I put on my best Indian accent and say, "I know your voice, you are Gupta the goat shagger from Mumbai. The police are looking for you Gupta and I hope they catch you." They usually leave me alone after that.

18th MOBI Intake
Jan 65 to Jan 78
Nirimba,Sydney,Vampire,Tarangau,Albatross, Stalwart,Creswell.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:35 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Port Pirie
State: SA
:happy2: :laughing3: He farcartaonegoat :sheep1:

1973 - 1985
Cerberus, Melbourne, Creswell x 2, Nirimba, Perth x 2, Kuttabul FIMA

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next