Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:47 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
State: NSW
I have decided to start another HMAS Brisbane topic, as our old ship is still afloat and I am sure that any interested parties will be interested in her progress to the bottom of the ocean as a dive wreck.

This will also provide Peter Hall who is involved in the "sinking", with an area that he can keep us up to date with all the latest news.

I will start it off by copying a post that Rick put in the "todays news topic"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(from Kerry Kerr via Peter Maher)...

Good Morning Peter, & Members,

Just a quick update concerning 'Steelcat' & the progress of her preparation for scuttling.

We still don't have confirmation about the 24th of July being the date she will go down but the project coordinator Guy Thomas told me yesterday that it is looking good for the 24th. The work being carried out is on schedule & on budget so we are happy with that.

When BRISBANE is settled on the bottom the area around her will become a 'conservation park' & Guy asked me if the members would like to submit suitable names for the park. If you want to participate in this could you please send your suggestions to our Secretary Peter Maher & he will forward them on.

It was confirmed yesterday that the mast will definitely go the Maroochy Council & it will be placed on Alexander Headland. Unfortunately only the top section of the mast will be used & this was contrary to what the Association thought was appropriate. The paragraph below was part of the letter the Association sent to Maroochy Council after we were approached by them for our views.

"The Association would, however, be totally opposed to any move to change the character of the mast by removing any parts or reduce the size of the mast, which would, in the view of the Associations members, make a recognizable relic of the ship into just so much scrap iron."

When we were sent photos of the part of the mast they wanted to use, we did not agree with what they wanted to do, so it would appear the council then went to the local chapter of the Naval Association & that Association gave it their blessing. It is not only our Association that is not happy with the outcome but other people connected with the project are also disappointed with the result. As you can see from the photo below, only the top section to the first platform will be used. Some of the reasons given for reducing the mast to the top section only were; OH&S concerns (kids might try to climb on it), the costing to erect the mast as a whole structure would be too high, & it would be difficult to transport the structure from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast. I believe the real reason behind the reduction in size is because the local councillor Chris Thompson (an ex Pusser) was worried about his constituents bitching about their view out to sea being hindered by the mast. I have spoken to Chris on several occasions & this view was never put forward, but other people who are a part of the project said it was a concern by the Council. I believe that the Maroochy Mayor, Joe Natoli met with the Premiers Dept recently (you can read that anyway you want to) and the result is 'a done deal'. I for one am pissed off, not only with Maroochy Council but also with the Naval Association for sticking their nose into something that is very personal for members of this Association. One of the committee members of the Naval Assoc. is a former 'Jimmy' of the BRISBANE,(second tour of VN) Ted Keane.

If you have any enquiry's about the project please email or ring me.

Regards

Kerry
07-54921914

Kerry's e-mail address is: k_kerr@bigpond.net.au

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

Post subject: Brisbane
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:07 am 
Div. Captain

City or Town:
State:
Hey Ned,
We were very lucky to have the "Brisbane Tour" at G.I, organized by Deskjockey a year or so back. I still think it was one the GREAT get togethers we have had and brought back a lot memories, even though I only did a couple of short trips on her. At that time she was the latest "all singing and dancing" the RAN had.
I guess she ended up a bit like yourself Ned........Over aged, expensive to operate, inefficient, delapidated and not really wanted in the Service anymore.
:supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz:
Cheers
Dino.

Cerberus,Albatross,Melbourne,Albatross,Melbourne,Kuttabul and several short stints on Brisbane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:58 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
What a marvellous analogy Dino, and no Ned, that's not a study of ar*eholes. #-o #-o [-X

Here's a link to some of my photos on the web with several from the Brisbane and of Brisbane sailors. Wayne, you may recognise some of the USN reprobates from the USA shots. :finga:

Brisbane & other Navy shots

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:52 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
Is that better Charles? #-o #-o

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

Post subject: Re: Brisbane
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:40 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
Dinophot wrote:
I guess she ended up a bit like yourself Ned........ Over aged, expensive to operate, inefficient, delapidated and not really wanted in the Service anymore.
:supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz:
Cheers
Dino.

...and not a lot left on top...!!! :finga:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:54 am 
Site Admin

tafmo wrote:
Is that better Charles? #-o #-o

Tafmo, I'm sure Charles would be proud of you, but it was me that was questioning how we went about posting URL's... so... Well done old son :thumbright:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:26 am 
Site Admin

Just received this update...

Sent: Thursday, 7 July 2005 8:29 AM
To: steelcat41@googlegroups.com; Association Secretary
Subject: Scuttling Date:

Good Morning All,

I spoke with Guy Thomas (project head) late yesterday, & while he can't confirm the date of 31st July because of political considerations, I think it is a 'goer'. It would appear that certain state politicians want to make the 'grand announcement' in their own time. The only thing that could delay the scuttling is the weather, so we can only hope that, just for a change, something is in our favour.

Guy said that both Forgags & SKM have finally agreed that the ship will be ready by 31st July, reading between the lines it would appear that all was not well between the parties carrying out the task of readying the old girl for her final voyage.

The emails that I have sent out over the last 18 months have not always pleased some people, but these people are not members of the BRISBANE Association, or former crew members who have asked to be kept informed, unfortunately my emails have been forwarded on to other people who have chosen to take me to task about the validity of what I have written. At all times during this project I have had the interests of ALL (and only) former crew who sailed in HMAS BRISBANE, I have at all times tried to keep everybody as well informed as I have been. I have enjoyed many aspects of representing, you, the former crew of BRISBANE, & I thank you for your many emails & phone calls over the ensuing period. I do apologise for not being able to pin down an exact date a lot earlier bit that is out of my hands, it is my observation that when politicians become involved in anything, logic goes out the window.

As another 'downer' I have only been able to secure 2 small boats for the viewing, because of the whale watching season being in full swing & not being able to have a confirmed date, the bigger boats are busy making money in other areas. Our Secretary will be back at his computer by Monday & he will have the task of working out who will be on the 'goofers' list.

Tomorrow (Friday) I have another meeting with the council group put together to look after the mast memorial, this meeting will also be attended by the NAA Sunshine Coast president Terry Meehan (also a former D41 crew member).

As usual you have my details if you need to contact me.

Regards

Kerry

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:27 am 
Site Admin

A Celebration of a Ships Life and a Wake for Her Final Voyage

The HMAS BRISBANE Association invites it's members & friends to a BBQ.

To be held on Saturday 30th July starting at 1700 (5pm for those who have forgotten).

The venue will be at Rotary Park, Parkyn Parade, on the Mooloolaba Spit (map attached).

Cost will be $15 per person, for this you will receive fillet steak, sausages, fried onions, three types of salad, a bread roll & one free beer, or wine, or soft drink. Thereafter drinks will be at a break even cost (about $2 a can of beer, wine & soft drink yet to be worked out). Because it is illegal to sell alcahol in a public place it will be an 'honour system', as you receive a drink you will need to place a donation into a container – make sure you have plenty of $2 “goldies” for donations!! Any monies left over at night's end will go to the HMAS BRISBANE Association coffers.

Please RSVP as soon as possible, to either Peter at steelcat@comcen.com.au 0296223546, or Kerry at k_kerr@bigpond.net.au 0754921914, 0412647999

Those that have replied to Peter Maher or myself already need not contact us again.

Kerry Kerr

Press Release:

Conservation Park declared over ‘Brisbane’ dive site

Sunday July 31 has been identified as the preferred day to sink ex-HMAS Brisbane, Premier Peter Beattie said today.

As well a new conservation park will protect the ex-HMAS Brisbane artificial reef and dive site.

The Premier and Environment Minister Desley Boyle toured the ex-HMAS Brisbane this morning then announced the vessel’s scuttling date and the creation of the new Ex-HMAS Brisbane Conservation Park under the Nature Conservation (Protected Areas) Regulation 1994.

“Scuttling the ex-HMAS Brisbane heralds a new era in Sunshine Coast and Queensland tourism, with obvious major spin-offs for the local economy,” Mr Beattie said.

“This dive site puts Queensland firmly on the international dive tourism map and will attract visitors from across the globe.

“The dive wreck has the potential to generate thousands of divers each year — and opens up even more valuable tourism and job opportunities for the Sunshine Coast and the region.

“The site must be protected so the benefits will flow into the future. The creation of a conservation park will do exactly this,” he said.

The conservation park will ensure commercial access to the site is well-managed and will restrict or prohibit activities that could compromise safety, amenity or conservation, such as fishing and anchoring.

“Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service will also be responsible for encouraging the development of new reef communities, providing access to the site and regulating commercial operators, dive clubs and recreational divers,” Mr Beattie said.

The site is due to open for diving in August.

Ms Boyle said it was a huge logistical exercise to prepare the ex-HMAS Brisbane for sinking.

“Sinking a battleship is not an everyday — or simple — event,” Ms Boyle said said.

“It is a huge and complex logistical exercise and we have been working for months to prepare the ship for its final journey.

“Sunday July 31 is our target scuttling date, however locking down the exact date will ultimately depend on the weather, wind and sea conditions closer to the day,” she said.

“Our plans for the scuttling are in place and ready to go on and we will be able to confirm the scuttling timing once we have the weather “all clear” closer to the date,” she said.

Member for Kawana, Emergency Services Minister Chris Cummins said the scuttling would be a great spectacle and a great opportunity to promote the State.

“I expect wide public interest in the scuttling — not just from the recreational diving fraternity, but those interested in the exciting process of settling a battleship on the ocean’s floor and what happens afterwards as a new reef ecosystem builds around the wreck.

“This is a ‘landmark’ event.

“We will all be glued to the weather reports as the target scuttling date approaches, and will update Queenslanders on this exciting event as it draws closer.”

Mr Beattie thanked Federal MP Peter Slipper for his continued support of the Ex-HMAS Brisbane scuttling.

NOTE: ***The Premier said that while the date has now been identified the sinking time is subject to late change - as the weather, wave conditions and overall safety (being the number one priority) could force unplanned late-notice alteration.

19 July 2005

Media contact: Premier’s Office 3224 4500

Minister’s Office 3227 8825

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:08 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
BATTLESHIP????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:24 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Brian, you'll have to excuse Ms Desley Boyle. She is - unfortunately - the state member for this area, and has been known in the past to be confused by things mechanical. And marine, and technical, and anything more complicated than a single-cell amoeba.

Scarily, she was the best choice of the candidates in the last state election.

When the Hydro ships were launched, she referred to them as hydraulic survey ships, as opposed to hydrographic etc, etc.

I'm also reasonably sure she doesn't have a driver's licence............

Cheers

CJ

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next