Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Google Search
Google

Post subject: Navy Archive Records
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:03 pm 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
Go to this URL and type your name in or anyone elses that you know and you can see their records I could see my paper records of my time at Nirimba including the dates I took leave!!! Just type your name in "key works" and then work your way to "View digital records" then hay presto you have a scanned copy. My daughter found my records to my supprise.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Researc ... Y&S=4&DP=2

22nd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to Jan 87
Melbourne,Platypus,Submarines,Cerberus,
Cook,Kuttabul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:55 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
Just as a safety precaution I don't think that links to websites where personal details can be found should be included in these messages.

we all, I think, have our names in our signature block and there appears to be no restriction on visitors, however sick they may be, accessing these links and picking out personal details of any of us, although I don't think I and people like Wayne have anything to worry about.

Just a thought.

Worked in Australia at RANMEE on MK 48s, Support Craft Manager in PMSS and then FFGCLO. (1986-2000) Now retired.
my personal boast is that I had sailed on every ocean, most of the major seas and walked on all seven continents before I was 35.

Post subject: Re: Navy Archive Records
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:45 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
State: NSW
A. Mooney wrote:
Go to this URL and type your name in or anyone elses that you know and you can see their records I could see my paper records of my time at Nirimba including the dates I took leave!!! Just type your name in "key works" and then work your way to "View digital records" then hay presto you have a scanned copy. My daughter found my records to my supprise.

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Researc ... Y&S=4&DP=2

It is my understanding that, if there is a digitised copy on the system, it has been due to a request from (supposedly) a family member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:21 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
Only trouble with all the details is it gives date of birth and next of kin (albeit 30 years ago) but for those of us still here those are usually the details that are asked for by banks and companies if you have any phone dealings with them They are usually the security questions they ask - date of birth and maiden name or mother's name.
Yes, the digitised records are usually those that have been asked for my people doing family research, but there is no need to submit any proof of relationship to get the records digitised so anyone can do it, especially if you have a more common name and whoever isn't sure if you are the person they are looking for or not so they can ask for several to be digitised. There used to be a limit on how may per year you could request but I'm not sure if that still applies.

Harman, Coonawarra, Harman, JIO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:30 pm 

jdee wrote:
Only trouble with all the details is it gives date of birth and next of kin (albeit 30 years ago) but for those of us still here those are usually the details that are asked for by banks and companies if you have any phone dealings with them They are usually the security questions they ask - date of birth and maiden name or mother's name.
Yes, the digitised records are usually those that have been asked for my people doing family research, but there is no need to submit any proof of relationship to get the records digitised so anyone can do it, especially if you have a more common name and whoever isn't sure if you are the person they are looking for or not so they can ask for several to be digitised. There used to be a limit on how may per year you could request but I'm not sure if that still applies.

I do know that my records are there in part ..seemd to finnish in 1970 but non of my relatives have requested the info on me and neither have I ...so go figure.
I remember a few years ago that I was told from the Archives that they had a team that were slowly going through all records to get them on computer and not in alphabetical order

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:07 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
There are so many records to do that only so many can be done in a year, or whatever. I believe they are trying to get all the records digitised and one way is by people requesting them. you can request photocopies but I think it's now about $25 for that. There is the 30 year limit before they put them on. My records in my maiden name are there but not my married name (as yet). I think it's just pot-luck which ones get on and which don't. They are still trying to get the WWI and WWII records done as well. Anyone can request digitised copies, not just relatives or the person named.

Harman, Coonawarra, Harman, JIO

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> Announcements from the Administrators (Check this Forum each time you log in...!)  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2