Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
It has been drawn to our attention that one of our Members has recieved unsolicited correspondence of a dubious nature, from another Member, via the :type: msn Messenger button on their profile... :evil3:

RAN Skilled Hands was put together to connect like-minded :3some: people of a common heritage and facilitates :argue: communications in a number of ways, through Posts in the various Forums, through our PM Personal Messaging system, through e-mail, or via msn Messenger, Yahoo, or in our Chat Room... :type:

However, when one of our valued Members receives an anonymous, unsolicited e-mail via msn Messaging, detailing every aspect of that Member's Naval service, including place of enlistment, age, marital status, promotions, next of kin, discharge date, even height, eye colour and service associations, yet with no message attached, I get concerned... #-o

I am investigating further and I know there are some sick :grommit: puppies out there trawling cyberspace, [-X but rest assured, we will have no hesitation in bestowing a permanent :violent1: lifetime :-# ban from RAN Skilled Hands for anyone harrassing another Member with unwelcome overtures... :axe:

=; Members are encouraged to :type: report all incidents :help: of such conduct to the Admin :3some: Team for investigation and appropriate action... :violent3:

:director: BIG TIP: Don't bring your previous suspect :type: practices from other websites to RAN Skilled Hands, we're pretty laid-back here, but not STUPID...! [-(

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:57 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
Rick, depending when a member join the Navy and discharge date. their service records may be freely available via the national archives websites.

Recently I was able to download in PDF format my father’s Australian service record as a RN changeover to the RANR & RANVR officer including comments on promotion, details of my mother (in those days official comments about wives were made). along with details of posting, command performace. medals, and information from the WWII service in the RN and Merchant Navy.

The records showed details that my father had forgotten and even details that my father had no official knowledge of about.

This was without needing to apply for any FOI or Service records.

Bruce D

Jan 73 to Jan 94
Nirimba, Duchess, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Leeuwin, Stirling, Vampire, Stirling, Waratah, Adelaide, Platypus, Adelaide, Sydney, Platypus, Adelaide, Cairns, Melbourne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Well aware of that Bruce, we can all do it, but then why would someone pick out someone else, acquire their details, then send those details to to that person, unsolicited and without explaination, anonymously...? :dontknow: You get my drift... =;

As the header of this topic asks... :roll: Just a smart asre, \:D/ or a serious stalker of genuine concern, :-k hiding behind his computer...? :hiding: (We've had similar happen before...) [-X

Anyway, my point has been made Bruce, we have an obligation and a responsibility to ensure that RAN Skilled Hands remains a fun place for it's Members where they can all contribute and enjoy, without concern... or wondering if some nutter is persuing them with unwanted attention... :axe:

=; Simply consider this as friendly general advice for all... :thumbright: and a final warning to the perpetrator... [-X

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Well said. Lets not forget the case of Jennifer(Johnnifer as we later found out), who started unwelcome soliciting of other member's phone numbers...... :? especially a favourite who was quite sick.

Finally, the decision had to be made. :axe:

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks SeeJay, hopefully the perpetrator will have realized the error of their ways and shrunk back into their bottle... :hic:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
The entire admin team is solid on the policy of a happy laid back website so all members can enjoy receiving information and giving their input if they so desire, without any hassles.

As Rick has stated, any harassment of members by members, on or off the site will result in swift and final retribution.

Now let's get back to having fun again. :type: :nike:

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Hear, hear... :supz:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:27 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Herne Hill
State: W.A.
Bruce D wrote:
Recently I was able to download in PDF format my father’s Australian service record as a RN changeover to the RANR & RANVR officer including comments on promotion, details of my mother (in those days official comments about wives were made). along with details of posting, command performace. medals, and information from the WWII service in the RN and Merchant Navy.

The records showed details that my father had forgotten and even details that my father had no official knowledge of about.

This was without needing to apply for any FOI or Service records.

Bruce D

Hi Bruce
Can you send me the link to the services records as I would like to get a copy of my fathers then edit it (Just In Case)and show the rest of the family including my Mum
Viv

ME(D)-DENS-WOMTH4
1966 to 1986
Cerberus,Duchess,Waterhen,Hawk,Nirimba, Melbourne,Torrens,Perth, Leeuwin,Stalwart,Stirling,Kutabul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:08 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
Viv

I did my searches, via the National Archives web site

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx

Bruce D

Jan 73 to Jan 94
Nirimba, Duchess, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Leeuwin, Stirling, Vampire, Stirling, Waratah, Adelaide, Platypus, Adelaide, Sydney, Platypus, Adelaide, Cairns, Melbourne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:55 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
Bruce D wrote:
Viv

I did my searches, via the National Archives web site

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx

Bruce D

The National Archives is trialling a new copying service for RAAF and World War II Army service records.

What is the new service?

For $25, when you select the photocopy option:

you will receive a colour photocopy of a service record posted in a presentation folder and at no additional cost, an online copy of the record will be made publicly available on the National Archives website through RecordSearch. J
ust want a photocopy?

If you want to order a photocopy without an online copy, please ring 1300 886 881 during business hours. For $25 you will receive a black and white photocopy posted in a presentation folder. Colour photocopies are not available under this option.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> Announcements from the Administrators (Check this Forum each time you log in...!)  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next