Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
=; The following exchange is from a topic in our General Discussion Forum and relates to prolific overuse of 'copying and pasting' onto RAN Skilled Hands... :evil3:

robert lake wrote:
Check this out
Articles Home -> All Articles -> Vehicles -> Power & Electics

Seven pages of stuff removed.
Robert, one last time. If you would like to show us anything in another website, kindly post a link to it.
Seejay
< (Edited by Seejay)

Peter Weyling wrote:
Robert...you don't need to cut and paste an entire section from a website. Just give us the website and a brief assessment of what its about...and we'll do the rest. Saves the memory on this site as well.

robert lake wrote:
bloody norah, being a 21st century guy is difficult. When I started school, we used slates , & made our own ink.Can't we just write letters, or something? #-o

Seejay wrote:
Robert, I just deleted seven full screens worth of the stuff you cut & pasted. We know all our members on here have many and varied tastes and would like to share lots of items that may interest some, or even all.

You have provided links in the past, and as Peter W has said, all you need to do is give the link and a quick precis of the points of interest. Those thus interested will do the rest, okay?

I won't go into all of the details as to why we need to keep our topics to a manageable size, but suffice it to say that whatever gets put up onto the web has to be paid for. This is why most topics only get to about 15 pages and then I lock, replace, and remove them. Only a very few special topics are retained beyond that, and a glance down the list of topics will explain why.

robert lake wrote:
Point taken .I think I am used to a site which doesn't have this problem. One of the best in the World, apparently, but they do have subscribers paying for the upkeep of the site. I am one. Check this out.

http://www.aulro.com.

gsrobertson wrote:
Robert,
I notice that the ALRO site has ads.
How does ALRO get benefit from the ad owner?
Are they paid ads?
If so, who organised this as I wonder if this is something that Rick & Ned can consider to ease the cost of this site?
What you may not know is that the cost of running the site is bourne by Rick & Ned (Chris?) hence the need to be careful with expenditures and capacities.
This is a free membership site and I know that this point has been raised in the past, but is it something that the membership should consider?

Personally, I think it would be good if the site could support itself.

robert lake wrote:
I will make enquiries, I do know subscription from members is voluntary, and also there are vendors on the site, I'm sure they have to pay some kind of fee.

robert lake wrote:
Here it is

Levels and Rates
Cost = $0 per annum
100 PM's and can send to 1 person at once
has 102400 KB of gallery space
and can not have a commercial signature

Subscriber
Cost = $27.50 per annum (other options available)
Removes the google adverts between posts
1000 PM's and can send to 5 people at once
has 204800 KB of gallery space
access to extra features to speed up your access and enhance you usage
access to several other themes
access to on-line games
can NOT have a commercial signature

Silver Subscriber
Cost = $55 per annum
2500 PM's and can send to 5 people at once
has 409600 KB of gallery space
access to extra features to speed up your access and enhance you usage
access to several other themes
access to on-line games

Gold Subscriber
Cost = $88 per annum
5000 PM's and can send to 10 people at once
has 1638400 KB of gallery space
access to extra features to speed up your access and enhance you useage
access to several other themes including a low bandwidth low latency theme for those on slow dial up or satellite connections
access to on-line games

Vendor
Cost = $100 per annum
1000 PM's and can send to 5 people at once
has 204800 KB of gallery space
access to extra features to speed up your access and enhance you useage
and can have an approved commercial signature and create threads in The Verandah forum area.
you are allowed a login using your business name for you or your staff to manage enquires without compromising your personal login. it needs to be a different email address.
all subscriptions go towards running of the site

robert lake wrote:
I would be willing to subscribe a small amount P.A. , for the upkeep of the site, if a workable solution could be found. Least I can do, after my recent faux pas, :oops:

Seejay wrote:
Guys, the cost of the site since it's inception has been borne entirely by Ned & Rick, with me volunteering to help keep the site tidy.

Firstly, Seejay and I have been chasing up, deleting posts and topics AND WARNING Robert about his posting, (or should I say PASTING,) #-o HUGE amounts of copy from other websites in some sort of wierd competition to see who can 'post the most' in the shortest possible time, when a URL/ LINK would have been ample... :roll:

Secondly, despite three warnings from me about creating 'orphan' new topics, (when a 'post reply' to an existing topic was appropriate,) Robert continued to do so...

Robert joined RAN Skilled Hands almost 3 years ago, on 17th July 2009, yet every one of his 98 posts have been posted since 12th March this year... that's just 19 days...!!! :shock:

I don't know what the bloody hell Robert is trying to achieve, and whilst I appreciate that a number of our Members have patiently and tactfully tried to steer Robert in the right direction, I'm not in the least bit amused... [-(

Ned and I do fund RAN Skilled Hands out of our own pockets, (which includes the development and upgrade costs of external IT Consultants,) and out of courtesy to our Members, have resisted the temptation to entertain advertising as a way to pay for the website, nor have we sought contributions from our Members.

Robert, I can only summise that you've exceeded your $88.00 limit as a 'Gold Subscriber' on your preferred website and have now chosen to use ours as a dumping ground for your bulk postings...

[-X TAKE THIS IS A FINAL WARNING, ROBERT, I DON'T HAVE THE SAME PATIENCE AS NED AND SEEJAY... :gib:

If you wish continue to enjoy being a part of our Forum Website, which was put together solely for the purpose of connecting our ex-Nirimba community, then heed this warning... otherwise, please feel free to return to your previous website which, I assume, accepted your strange antics... :dontknow:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:32 am 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
Good Morning Rick,

I get a lot of enjoyment out of the Skilled Hands website and would like to contribute to the cost.How do I go about it?

Pete.

Direct Entry
Mar 66 to Jul 87
Cerberus (X2), Waterhen (X3), Supply, Gull, Ibis, Paluma, Lonsdale, Flinders (X2), Snipe, Carpentaria, Curlew, Cairns, Nirimba, Adelaide, FHQ (DEE).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
State: NSW
Hi Pete, thanks for your offer, we have always tried to keep the website free to all members.

We are in the process of upgrading the website to the latest phpBB (forum website software) and changing over to a more professional service provider. This may incur some additional costs, but we are not sure what they will be.

If we decide that we could use some financial assistance, Seejay has suggested that we could consider an "Assistance Requested" topic, so anyone that felt they wanted to help could chip in a few bucks.

So at this stage have fun on the site and don't worry too much about helping out with money.

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:25 pm 
Div. P.O.

City or Town: Redland Bay
State: Queensland
Quote:
I don't know what the bloody hell Robert is trying to achieve,

Probably sizing up your servers for a DoS attack. That would be my bet having being a Protective and ICT Security commonwealth public serpant (10 years) and then consultant for several years prior to my giving work away.

I also enjoy browsing this excellent forum occasionally providing input. I applaud the stewardship of yourself, Ned and Seejay and am willing to kick in to help defray costs.

BZ Ric, purple helmets are not wanted here.

26th MOBI intake
Jan 1969 to Feb 1989
Melbourne, Stalwart, Torrens, Vendetta, Vampire, Cook.
Estabs: Nirimba, Cerberus, Harman x 2, Coonawarra x 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:40 pm 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
Geez Mick,

I have'nt had a purple helmet for years.What's it like these days?

Direct Entry
Mar 66 to Jul 87
Cerberus (X2), Waterhen (X3), Supply, Gull, Ibis, Paluma, Lonsdale, Flinders (X2), Snipe, Carpentaria, Curlew, Cairns, Nirimba, Adelaide, FHQ (DEE).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 pm 
Div. P.O.

City or Town: Redland Bay
State: Queensland
Pete,

Don't ask the question if you don't like the answer.

26th MOBI intake
Jan 1969 to Feb 1989
Melbourne, Stalwart, Torrens, Vendetta, Vampire, Cook.
Estabs: Nirimba, Cerberus, Harman x 2, Coonawarra x 2.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> Announcements from the Administrators (Check this Forum each time you log in...!)  [ 6 posts ]