Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:21 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
=; As I mentioned in the 'general' topic (for non-Nirimba personnel,) "A Farewell to those with whom we served..." it is our custom to
create a dedicated Topic to honour departed ex-RANATE personnel... Sadly, 3rd MOBI Intake's Ex-WOMTH Ken Cook has qualified... [-o<

Seejay wrote:
Just received this from Bob Wilson:

Some of you may have known or may not have known...Ken Cook has been in both Wyong Hospital and Gosford hospital for the last 4 weeks. He was diagnosed with leiomyosarcoma - a rare form of cancer - typical of dad to get something left of field.

Unfortunately we lost him last night with Pat, David & myself around him.

Arrangements for his funeral are yet to be made but will let you know asap.

If you can think of anyone who might have missed (sorry) please feel free to forward this message on.

Michelle Woodhouse (Ken's daughter)
if you need to contact...
0414 400 558
mlwoodhouse@optusnet.com.au

piquet wrote:
This is not "Crazy Cook" is it?
Gosh, I hope not as if it is then its another member of my JR intake that has crossed the bar
Either way my condolences to the family. This cancer thing is insidious.

regards

Ray Lawrence wrote:
Your hopes is right Peter, Crazy was William Cook, paid off as a CPOMTP, last I heard he is in MacKay, QLD.

Hope you are still travelling well.

Ray

piquet wrote:
Im relieved at hearing that news
Thanks for your thoughts. My cancer is travelling really well. To the extent that the heamotologists ar more concerned that something else may take me out not the leukemia. Go figure

Hippy Chippy wrote:
:-k Wal 'Midge' Midgley informs us that Ken was an early MOBI; there is a K.J. Cook in the 3rd MOBI Intake of July 1957, (as yet unverified...) [-o<

=; If verified, (as is our custom,) Ken, as one of 'us', is deserving of his own Topic... :notworthy:

Yesterday I received the following confirmation from Ken's classmate and buddy, Tom Shaw ... :evil3:

Hi Rick

I have just checked into your web site and noticed the entry re my great friend Ken Cook.

Ken passed away on Friday as his daughters email said.

Ken was in the third entry into Nirimba and eventually paid off as a WOMTH.

I am sure we all send our sincere condolences to his wife Pat and their family.

Ken was always first to respond when I sent out an email to organise our lunch and get together before Xmas each year.We will miss his great company.

I will inform you of Kens funeral arrangements when known.

Regards

Tom Shaw.... mobi 17

On behalf of our RAN Skilled Hands Members, our deepest sympathy to Ken’s family, his classmates and friends... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
Farewell Ken Cook.

I am always sad when I hear of guys from the early terms passing over the bar, to me they were the real pioneers.

It makes me even sadder when I knew them quite well. I haven't seen Ken for many years, but we served together a couple of times. I remember a really nice bloke, easy to work with and heaps of fun.

Rest in peace old buddy.

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Blaxland
Farewell Ken,Old Mate

Ken and I were good buddies as Warrant Officers at HMAS Waterhen and had great times together.Our families got together quite often but we drifted apart as we went our own ways.

A great fellow and a real gentleman.

Our condolences to Pat,Michelle and David.

Direct Entry
Mar 1966 to July 1987
Cerberus X 3,Waterhen x 4,Supply, Gull,Ibis, Paluma, Lonsdale, Flinders x 2,Curlew, Snipe, Carpentaria, Nirimba, Adelaide, FHQ (DEE)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:02 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town: CRONULLA
A Service funeral for Ken will be held at 1430 on Thursday 24th October at:

Hillside Chapel
Palmdale Lawn Cemetery & Memorial Park
Palmdale Road
Palmdale NSW 2258

On completion of the service a farewell for Ken will be held in the Function Center in the grounds,

No flowers by request.A donation box will be available.

Regards to all

Tom Shaw......mobi17

1st MOBI Intake
July 1956 TO July 1976.....August 1986 TO December 1992
Melbourne, Queenborough, Kuttabul, Penguin, Hobart, Brisbane, Platypus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
The following was being circulated yesterday, :evil3: it's from another of Ken's classmates, 3rd MOBI Intake's WOMTH Peter Corran...

I don't know whether you are aware, but Ken Cook passed away on Friday night after a short fight with a rare cancer.

Ken and I were mates for 56 years, and he was a good bloke.

Ken Cook, S/N R42113 Joined as apprentice shipwright in July 1957.

Served on several ships including Vietnam in HMAS Yarra, and then HMAS Vendetta as Chief Shipwright on both ships.

Paid off and then worked for the Navy in a civilian role, completing 30 years in total.

Contracted a rare cancer late September in his home town of Kanwal, NSW.

Succumbed on Friday 18 October after a short 4 week battle.

Funeral service 24 October at 14:30 hrs, Palmdale Cemetery, Palmdale NSW (nr. Wyong)

Regards,

Peter Corran
Ex WOMTH RAN

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:56 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town: CRONULLA
Post on behalf of Ken's son David

Thank you all for you lovely and heartfelt comments and this is a hard time for us.

Peter - yes I remember you - of memory you were up in Glenbrook. I pray you are not up there currently as these fires are horrible. I know that is further down the mountains - but still be wary.

Yes Ken (dad) was in the July 57 intake - retire from active service Dec 83. Then served 20 years with what was originally facilities / Naval Support Command then known as Defence Support Command (and others) Finally retired in 2003. (couldn't quite separate him from the navy! Three Grandchildren which he loved dearly.

Served Melbourne, Swan, Anzac, Stuart, Yarra Supply and Vendetta, with Melville, Penguin, Kuttabul. training at Nirimba, and Cerberus

David Cook (Son)

1st MOBI Intake
July 1956 TO July 1976.....August 1986 TO December 1992
Melbourne, Queenborough, Kuttabul, Penguin, Hobart, Brisbane, Platypus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Blaxland
Tom Shaw wrote:
Post on behalf of Ken's son David

Thank you all for you lovely and heartfelt comments and this is a hard time for us.

Peter - yes I remember you - of memory you were up in Glenbrook. I pray you are not up there currently as these fires are horrible. I know that is further down the mountains - but still be wary.

Yes Ken (dad) was in the July 57 intake - retire from active service Dec 83. Then served 20 years with what was originally facilities / Naval Support Command then known as Defence Support Command (and others) Finally retired in 2003. (couldn't quite separate him from the navy! Three Grandchildren which he loved dearly.

Served Melbourne, Swan, Anzac, Stuart, Yarra Supply and Vendetta, with Melville, Penguin, Kuttabul. training at Nirimba, and Cerberus

David Cook (Son)

Thankyou Tom for posting Davids letter.

Marg and I desperately want to attend Ken's funeral but we are bunkered down at the moment waiting for this bushfire to come so am not sure what today will bring. Pete

Direct Entry
Mar 1966 to July 1987
Cerberus X 3,Waterhen x 4,Supply, Gull,Ibis, Paluma, Lonsdale, Flinders x 2,Curlew, Snipe, Carpentaria, Nirimba, Adelaide, FHQ (DEE)

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 7 posts ]