Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:50 am 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
I sit here this evening of Sunday 04/01/04, after a comfortable dinner, a couple of reds and the statutory (for me) 1 grog (3::1), and think of past shipmates with whom I served who have already passed over the bar...and think... I have attained the biblical three score years and ten, over a year ago... and I wonder why those, many of whom were younger than I, were predestined to go before me....

I recall the crew of the Voyager, many of whom were shipmates of mine, gone forty years in February. Robert Spooner KIA, Malaya, 1956....
And then there are those particular mates, Bill Dobson (Ch ME), Grahame Condie (Mech 1), Curley Hannaford (Ch BM), Dick Cabena (Ch OA), Ray Crouch (EA1), Athol Crosdale (Stoker), Doug Ferguson (Stoker) Hugh Dunlop (Stoker), Don Carey (Ch Mech) and Noel Graham (Stoker) to name those whom I can immediately bring to mind.

I sit...and I think........and I wonder..........

June 1951/Dec 1963 Ships. "Australia" II, "Tobruk I", "Sydney III", "Anzac II", "Yarra III".............Depots. "Cerberus"x2, "Tarangau", "Penguin", "Lonsdale".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:30 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town: Robina Gold Coast
State: Qld
Old mech
As we all get older, and we surely will, you know the drift-We that are left etc etc.
We have mates around us that appear to be bullet proof, but alas we are mortal and our time will surely come.
So enjoy what is in front of you and behind you.

4th MOBI Intake
Jan 1958 to May 1979
Nirimba x 2,Gascoyne, Yarra, Vampire, Melbourne x 2, Thermopylae, Grampus, Onslow, Otway, Ovens, Oxley x 2, Otama.

Post subject: old mech
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:31 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Blackbutt
State: Qld
It's times like this I remember something that James Dean was attributed to have said------"Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today".I know he died young but I try to live as close as I can to that creed.

13th MOBI Intake
1962 to 1982
Nirimba, Sydney, Melbourne, Tarangau, Penguin, Albatross Kuttabul, Harman, Hobart, Platypus, Duchess, Brisbane, Moreton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:29 pm 

CPOWTR Laurie "Nobby" Clark

Nobby passed away on 24 November 2004 at Royal Brisbane Hospital from cancer.

The Funeral details are: 1000 Monday 29 November 2004

Lakeview Chapel: Albany Creek Crematoriam Memorial Gardens
400 Albany Creek Road: Bridgeman Downs: Brisbane

Donations to Queensland Cancer Council in lieu of flowers.

Nobby’s service was as follows:

A63085 CPOWTR LAWRENCE ROBERT CLARK

DATE OF BIRTH: 23.09.1946

AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
RAS Date 50000 07.04.1987

Decorations / Medals:
Australian Service Medal 1945-75 with Clasp PNG
Australian Service Medal 1945-75 with Clasp FESR
VCM 02.03.1968 Vietnamese Campaign Medal
VIETNAM 04.04.1968 Vietnam Medal
USNMUC 12.04.1969 USN Meritorious Unit Commendation
USNUC 21.07.1969 USN Unit Commendation
DFSM 02.04.1979 Defence Force Service Medal
NM 02.04.1980 National Medal
DFSM1* 02.04.1984 First Clasp to the Defence Force Service Medal
AASM45-VIET 08.10.1999 Australian Active Service Medal 1945-75 with Clasp Vietnam

Promotions
CPOWTR (Reserves) 24.01.1989, CPOWTR 20.06.1980, POWTR 4.12.1973, LWTR 12.05.1967, WTR 03.01.1966, WTR2 10.06.1965, ORDWTR 03.07.1964. RCT 03.04.1964

Service
NAVY HQ , MORETON. CERBERUS, NIRIMBA, JERVIS BAY(AGT),KUTTABUL (FLEET HQ), KUTTABUL, DUCHESS, COMAUSNAVSUPSTAFF, WATSON, CARPENTARIA, PENGUIN, TARANGAU, HARMAN

Footnote from Bobcat: I worked with Nobby at several postings back in the late 70's/early 80's. One of natures gentlemen and always had a smile for everyone.

Rest Your Oars Nobby ...

Bobcat :cat:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:59 am 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
On 23 Nov 2004, A series of memorial plaques were unveiled in WA in memory of the three sailors and one officer that were killed as a result of the fire onboard HMAS Westralia.

I joined the navy with POMT Shaun Smith and whilst we did not know each other well enough to call ourselves best mates, we were on good terms and he was well liked by most in our intake.

MIDN Pelly was on her maiden voyage since joining the navy.

I was on HMAS COLLINS at the time and we were actually the first to respond to WESTRALIA's distress call, but due to our slow surface transit speed we were the last to arrive. We were just about to throw first lines after being at sea when the call came.

Young lives cut short.

28 June 1985 - 11 Sep 2005
Nirimba-Platypus-Oxley-Platypus-Onslow-Otway-Platypus-Collins-Stirling-Sheean-Defence Recruiting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:37 pm 

A very sad time ...

They may be gone Dog, but they obviously have not been forgotten. :supz: :supz: :supz: Great to see!!!

Bobcat :cat:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:40 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Yesterday afternoon I had the sad honour to attend the funeral of a mate of mine - Mike (Fawlty) Towers. Mike was a member of the Vietnam Veterans Motorcycle Club in FNQ, and I rode lots of miles with him. Mike wrote of his experiences in Vietnam in his book: 'A Jungle Circus.'

Mike was an ex-Army Vietnam Veteran, and to give him my highest compliment, he would have been a great Sailor. Indeed, he had a long affinity with the water, even having designed and built his own hydrofoil. It was dubbed 'The Coral Sea Monster.'

He was taken very tragically and very quickly when he and his bike - a MotoGuzzi Californian Custom - hit the crash barrier near Bob's lookout on the DeSailley Ranges north of Mareeba. He leaves a lovely wife, children, grandchildren, and many, many mates, all who miss him greatly.

It was a lovely, sad, funny and respectful service for a real decent bloke, and I was intrigued, but not surprised to see his coffin had a propeller attached to the end of it. Such was the way of this unique bloke.

Seeya Mike.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:17 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
Very sorry to hear about your mate CJ. Unfortunately, motor bikes and things that make other things stop very suddenly can be very unforgiving.

I used to enjoy riding my bike, but the fear of a very sudden stop with little protection overcame the joy of two-wheeled freedom. Haven't looked back since.

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

Post subject: Mike Towers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:55 pm 
Reg. Chief

City or Town:
State:
C.J

I am vert sorry to hear of Fawlty's passing. I don't have any funny quips, as it is very sad indeed, when a Veteran passes away, especially one of our very small troop. There is no one to step in to take his place and the world is a little bit more sadder for that.

RIDE ON RIDE FREE Fawlty RIDE ON.

Do not ask me to lead as I will not,
Do not ask me the follow as I am not that type
Just ride beside me as a mate.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remeber them...

Goodbye Fawlty

23rd Intake JRTE
1968 to 1982

Death with dignity is better than life in humiilation.

IF YOU DON'T LOVE AUSTRALIA. GET THE F#@@
OUT OF HERE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:55 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town:
State:
I never served with HIM but I heard a lot about him................Vale Adrian Cummins.

News that Adrian Cummins Ex Captain of Ibis passed away on Thursday whilst skiing near his home in Santa Fe USA.. He is to be cremated and his ashes brought back to Australia for a service and scattering at sea. He had married a third time to an American and was resident over there.

July 73, 3rd Muppet, 35th Nirimba
1973 to 1985,
Nirimba, Melbourne, Albatross (MT compound), Kuttabul (FMP), Derwent, Leeuwin (Broken leg/boats W/Shop), Derwent, Torrens and Darwin Naval Base (main machine shop).

That's my Ford FPV Cobra GT

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next