Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
State: NSW
Thanks, Guys

Yesterday, I met the chaplain who will be conducting Dad's service at the RSL Village in Narrabeen, it none other but Bob Durbin, a fellow MOBI from the January 1970 intake.

Bruce D

Jan 73 to Jan 94
Nirimba, Duchess, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Leeuwin, Stirling, Vampire, Stirling, Waratah, Adelaide, Platypus, Adelaide, Sydney, Platypus, Adelaide, Cairns, Melbourne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:36 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Port Pirie
State: SA
Sorry for your loss Bruce.

1973 - 1985
Cerberus, Melbourne, Creswell x 2, Nirimba, Perth x 2, Kuttabul FIMA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:22 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Perth
State: WA
Hi Bruce,

I am sorry to hear of your loss.
We are deeply affected and influenced by our parents (and particularly) our dads.
Yours has clearly had a positive influence on your life.
Vale Mike Downes

31st MOBI Intake
July 71 to July 81
Nirimba, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, Parramatta, WRE, Yarra, Stalwart, Derwent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:31 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Shrewsbury
State: Massachusetts
Sorry to hear of your loss, Bruce.

In late '42 and part of '43, my father was in the same area as yours doing convoy duty. Perhaps their ships passed by each other.

Enlisted USMC 3 March 1972 on delayed entry. Active duty 17 June 1972. Due to a Reduction In Force as the Vietnam War wound down, discharged for a minor medical problem , 23 July 1972.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
I have just copied this from Facebook:

It is with a very sad heart that I am informing members of this page of the passing of Ex Warrant Officer Coxswain Geoff Carroll. Geoff passed away this morning at his home in Malacoota with his wife Ex Supply Officer Jenny Lloyd by his side. A great man gone too soon and will be missed by many. RIP Geoff.

I served with Geoff on Hobart and have never met a nicer bloke. Scrupulously fair with those he had to deal with via his job, but absolutely ruthless in dealing with those who would do wrong by those in our crew. The world is a sadder place with his passing.

Vale, Geoff. May you have calm seas and gentle breezes on your journey, and perhaps a stop here and there for a bit of fishing. I will miss you old mate.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:15 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
Well said CJ, I spent some time with Geoff, along with Ned, at Creswell in the mid 70's.

A few years ago, I bumped into Geoff at the ANZAC Day ceremony at Mallacoota and it was good to catch up.

Very sad to hear of his passing and condolences to his wife, as well as his sons.

RIP Geoff. :salute1:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:43 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Blaxland
So sorry to hear Geoff has passed away.I served with Geoff and Jenny at Nirimba in the mid-eighties and a more loving couple you would never meet.

RIP Geoff and my condolences to Jenny.

Direct Entry
Mar 1966 to July 1987
Cerberus X 3,Waterhen x 4,Supply, Gull,Ibis, Paluma, Lonsdale, Flinders x 2,Curlew, Snipe, Carpentaria, Nirimba, Adelaide, FHQ (DEE)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
Bye old mate.

This is sad news indeed, as BC said, I served with Geoff at Creswell and also at Nirimba where I met Jenny. I haven't seen since him 82, but I remember the good times we had.

Rest in peace buddy.

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
Sent: Monday, 19 February 2018 1:12 PM
To: bandi@iinet.net.au
Subject: VALE - CMDR A C SMITH RAN RTD

Dear All,

It is with much sadness that I pass on the details of Andy’s passing. Andy and I served in HMAS PERTH together in the early 80s, he as the Supply Officer and myself as the MEO and further, Andy was best man at my wedding.

“Andy Smith, who attended last year’s SLEX 1/67 reunion, died late Tuesday 13 February 2018 at Mater Hospital, Newcastle. He had been diagnosed with lung cancer in May 2017.

Andy’s funeral service will be held at Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church, Tarean Road, Karuah, at 1100 Tuesday 20 February. Andy’s widow, Julie-Gai, advises that refreshments will be provided at the church’s parish centre, Marion House, on completion of the service and has suggested donations to St Vincent de Paul in lieu of flowers.

Julie-Gai’s contact details available but withheld for security reasons.

Many of you would have known Andy. He was held in high regard as a very professional Naval Officer and a great mate.

Yours aye

Bob Mummery

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:04 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
I have an Australian White Ensign, suitable to placing on a casket, if anyone in Melbourne is interested in having. I used it for my Fathers funeral.

You do need Navy Office permission to use the AWE, My point of contact was with the Warrant Officer Of the Navy - Assistant, Chief of Navy Office

POCIS Kristin Powell
Warrant Officer of the Navy - Assistant
Chief of Navy Office
R1-4-C023
PO Box 7902
Canberra BC ACT 2610
Tel: 02 6265 4182

If you try going through the Navy Telephone switchboard, you end up talking to loads of interesting offices, including the RAAF and the Army and obsecure sections of the Navy, it took me over twenty calls to finally get through to Kristin.

Jan 73 to Jan 94
Nirimba, Duchess, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Leeuwin, Stirling, Vampire, Stirling, Waratah, Adelaide, Platypus, Adelaide, Sydney, Platypus, Adelaide, Cairns, Melbourne

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 61  Next