Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:47 am 

Hi everyone,just dropped by to say well done on such a great forum.I found it when my husband was looking for pictures of the foden,My father, while he was in the navy steam club helped Tony Hill and others tow it back from (I think)emu plains where it was being used in a quarry.

I fondly remember riding in the steam truck when i was little at open days and have been looking for more information and pictures for quite a while.

Although dad has passed on I still remember him at his happiest when he worked on the foden at nirimba with all you guys.

Regards Judy

Vale Chief Petty Officer Steven Warren Hosking
RAN 1962-1982
HMAS Melbourne,HMAS Nirimba.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:23 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town:
State:
During my time at Nirimba only did some work on the old Foden . Like remove all the lagging and strip down the internals on the old boiler. After that I review my week end time, then changed so that I would spent more time getting to know (wink wink) my first wife (girl friend at that time).

Next week I am riding up to Gympie to visit a friend from that period. He spent a lot of time working on the old foden right up to the time we finished at Nirimba. I will mention your father and see if he can recall you as well.

He sometime comes on this site, so I will see he can make another appearance to check your post.

July 73, 3rd Muppet, 35th Nirimba
1973 to 1985,
Nirimba, Melbourne, Albatross (MT compound), Kuttabul (FMP), Derwent, Leeuwin (Broken leg/boats W/Shop), Derwent, Torrens and Darwin Naval Base (main machine shop).

That's my Ford FPV Cobra GT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
Hi Judy, welcome to RAN Skilled Hands... :hello2:

Sad to hear of the passing of your Father... Whilst his time at HMAS Nirimba and his efforts on the FODEN happened after I'd left RANATE, (building The MOBI Yacht 'Nirimba' was the focus of our efforts,) I found a number of references to your Father in Skilled Hands At Sea, the definitive book on HMAS Nirimba - RANATE, availabe on our :type: RAN Skilled Hands NAVY BLUE on-line e-Shop.

I also have a movie on the FODEN's epic voyage into Sydney on DVD, (don't know if it includes your Father, but chances are it might,) which we hope to make available to our Members in the very near future...

You haven't indicated where you're located, but I believe the FODEN is currently located at HMAS Cerbeus, (Victoria) in the care of their very active Steam Club, and regularly gets trucked around the countryside to various events and exhibitions.

And if you arrived at RAN Skilled Hands through Google, you've probably already checked this link out: :type: HMAS Foden...
(...there's a couple of great photos of the FODEN...)

Enjoy... :thumbright:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:00 pm 
Sprog

City or Town: Sydney
Hi Judy,

I have many fond memories of your dad and the Nrimba steam club.

I have attached a photo and a news paper clipping from 1981.
Your dad is in both.
{I hope this works, I've not tried this before}.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:53 am 
Site Admin

Jim Lodge wrote:
Hi Judy, I have many fond memories of your dad and the Nrimba steam club.
I have attached a photo and a news paper clipping from 1981.
Your dad is in both.
{I hope this works, I've not tried this before}.

Well done Jim... :thumbright: and you almost got it right... =; except that... #-o

Members please note: When uploading your own pictures to your posts from an external source, please reduce them to the maximum width of 480 pixels, unlike Jim's pics above, which were 1501 and 1600 respectively, before I reduced them.... [-X

However, all is not lost... =; to avoid disappointing Judy and the heaps of Foden fans out there, you'll notice that if you :type: click on each of Jim's photos, you'll be able to see the 950 pixel blow-ups I've uploaded to our 'Historic Pics of HMAS Nirimba' album in our Main Photo Gallery...

Also, now that Judy's a Member, may I suggest that to keep this topic relevent to Guest's posts, that we adjourn the Foden discussions here, and continue them under :type: The Foden Steam Truck Topic...

(Jim, if you want to duplicate your pics under the Foden Steam Truck Topic, click the 'Edit' button on your post above, copy the complete URL's as I've done them in your post, then paste it into any new post...) \:D/

Finally Judy, if you wish to post a full tribute to your Father, please feel free to add a new Topic under our :type: 'A Farewell to those with whom we served' Forum...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:11 pm 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
Thankyou everyone who has replied, I love the photos that Jim has posted.
I live in Sydney and planning to go to H.M.A.S cerberus sometime in the near future, and Hippy Chippy i will be buying the book very soon.

Again Thankyou all so very much....Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Glad we could help Judy... :thumbright: If you check your e-mail, I've sent you the FULL :shock: SIZED versions of Jim's 1501 and 1600 pixel photos, as the max we can show in our Main Photo Gallery is only 950 pixels wide...

By the way, if you can tell me which one is your Dad in the top photo, I'll check and see if I can spot him on the DVD I've got of the Foden... :-k

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:30 pm 
Sprog

City or Town:
State:
My dad is the one sitting on the front guard with a screwdriver in his hand :shock: ,hope you can find something!.He had a lot to do with its restoration and always drove it where ever it went as far as know.

regards judy

HMAS Melbourne,HMAS Nirimba.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:41 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town: Lockyer Valley
State: Queensland
G'day Judy, I served with your dad in HMAS SYDNEY, HMAS MELBOURNE and at NIRIMBA. I enjoyed many a quiet beer or three with him during that time. Cripes, doesnt time fly. I can remember you and a little kid in those days.

regards

Rocky Rankin

NOV64 TO NOV73
Cerberus - Sydney - Moresby - Melbourne - Lonsdale (Chippies Yeoman) - Leeuwin (TOW)- Queenborough - Kuttabul - Penguin - Nirimba (Admin Leading Hand MED Bldg) - Hobart - Front Gate
UGLQ 164

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> RAN Skilled Hands GUEST BOOK  [ 9 posts ]