Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:02 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Waikiki
State: WA
It is always sad to hear and/or find out about these passings. It really makes you pause and reflect on your own mortality.

Jan'65 Leeuwin Intake (10th) - Jan'66 Nirimba Intake (20th)
Jan'65 to Mar '88
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Stalwart, Samarai, Lae, Penguin, Curlew, Buccaneer, Navy Office, Barbette, Cairns, RANTTU (based in Port Moresby), Stirling, Bunbury.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:07 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
State: NSW
If anyone would like to view a replay of Buka's Funeral Service:

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/oaVfC ... eaming.com

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
Thanks for posting that BC, :happy: whilst I never met 'Buka', I knew he was something of a legendary figure amongst our Shipwright :3some: Community and will be missed by many...

R.I.P. 'Buka', [-o< your journey is done...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
:-k I received the following sad news this afternoon... :evil3:

"Many of the earlier MOBIs, and probably many more, will remember Eric Toyer – a big man with a big heart.

Message received from Bruce Sloper this morning:

Good morning Bob, I thought I would pass on this information if you haven’t
already heard. Eric Toyer our valued international yacht and adventurer MOBI
traveller has just informed his friends that his long term partner Lynne was
killed in a single car accident in Tamworth NSW yesterday. Eric is in Lombok,
Indonesia. He will be travelling to Australia in the next couple of days.

Very sad. He will be devastated.

Our sympathies go out to our MOBI mate in distress.

Bob Mummery"

I met Lynne on one of Eric's voyages to Sydney when I and a few others were invited to spend the day and overnight aboard Eric's yacht, the lovely catamaran, 'Amarula'...

Image A fellow Chippy, Eric graduated with our 13th MOBI Intake... I offer my sincere condolences to Eric and to Lynne's family...
May you rest in peace, Lynne, a sad loss indeed... [-o<

Here's a couple of links to Eric and Lynne's website and blog... :type: SV Amarula is for Sale :evil3: ...and also to Amarula's current listing on :type: The Yacht Hub :evil3:

I just sent the following e-mail to Eric, via a 'Contact Seller' link on 'The Yacht Hub', which I'm hoping will eventually reach him... Here's a link to :type: Amarula's FB Page

"Hello Eric, I have just learned of Lynne's sad passing; I struggle to find the right words to give you any solace and comfort, so may I just offer you my sincere condolences,
along with those of our many members on RAN Skilled Hands who know you, some who knew you both... I remember Lynne from your kind invitation for a few of us to spend
the day (and overnight) onboard 'Amarula' with you both when you visited Sydney way back when, at the start of your grand adventure..."

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:03 pm 
Div. Officer

VALE - WOMTP TONY HILLS RAN Rtd R28252

For those who remember Tony Hills, unfortunately he passed away overnight 8 December. Another great man gone and what better “epitaph” could he be given than one written up by Peter Hall. Peter has also forwarded some photographs of Tony along with himself, Tony’s niece Jan, Kerry Kerr and Ian Watson. I only met Tony once but he was a person not to be forgotten and his technical expertise was second to none.

Bob Mummery

Sent: Friday, 9 December 2022 12:26 PM
To: Bob Mummery
Subject: RE: Tony Hills.

Bob,

I shipped with Tony on “Sydney “ in 68 and 69.

Lots of familiar people on there, Mike Brain, Dave Mellowship, Dave Highnam and Windy Gale to name a few. I then posted to “Brisbane in mid 70 and tony arrived as the chief in late 70.
We did a deployment to Vietnam in 71.

Tony was lots older than I but we became good friends. He was an amazing “fix it” man. I had great respect for him. Never heard him raise his voice and was highly respected from the Captain down.

Stokers nick named him “Snoopy”.

Had a habit of wandering around the spaces at any time , just looking…….

I believe, he joined the navy about 1951 as a direct entry tiff from Tasmania. Served in Korea on Bataan, I think. Left the navy then re-joined a few years later.

Went to the US to pick up “Hobart”. I left the Navy in 74 but we always stayed in touch. He lived in Inverell for years as that was where his wife was from. When she passed, he went back to Oatlands in Tasmania where his niece looked after him.

He made scale model working steam trains and was well up in the association. Think he just finished his 7 train. Told me that he sold them for about $20,000 which gave him $1 per hour for his time.

His house was built around his workshop where he spent much of his time. Was telling me that Guy Griffiths called in on him some years ago. No warning, just a knock on the door. Think he may have been commissioning captain of Hobart, not sure.

Ian Watson, Kerry Kerr and I travelled to Oatlands last year and had lunch with him and his niece Jan.

Tony Hills, niece Jan, Peter Hall, Kerry Kerr and Ian Watson

Tony, Kerry and Ian

Over the years, I have visited him maybe 6 or 8 times, when he was in Inverell, then Oatlands. Have many stories about fixing things but none better than the feed water turbo driven boost pump in No1 fireroom on Brisbane. Bearings on gear box had a history of bearing failure since the ship was new. Tony figured that the bearing housing had been machined out of line from new.

So on the plates, we set up an electric driven boring bar which was part of the le Blond lathe in the workshop and bored the housing oversize. Turned up a new housing, welded them in, top and bottom. We then used the boring bar and machined the bearing housing correctly. After that, he always commented that it now sounded like “a singer sewing machine”

Spoke to Tony's son this morning, who lives up here and he can tell more of the story. His son joined the navy as a stoker about 1971.
Think that is enough rambling…

Regards,

Peter Hall
0408 712 634

Tony's Korean War Service:

HMAS Bataan - Jun 1950 - Jan 1951

Vietnam War Service:

HMAS Melbourne - 1965

HMAS Sydney - 10 x Vung Tau Trips between 1967 - 1970

HMAS Brisbane - Gunline Deployment - 1971

Tony was my first Chief Tiff when I posted onto HMAS Sydney, and yes, he was a quietly spoken man. There will be many Tiffs who will remember him. My condolences to his family and shipmates. - BC

RIP Tony, your watch is done. :salute1:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Given the dates of his time on Sydney, I served with Tony, but sadly I don't remember him.

What I will say though, is that a great source of pride and honour is to be well-remembered by your shipmates, and he certainly is!

Vale Tony, fair winds and a following sea. :yes:

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:29 am 
Div. Officer

I decided to have a bit more of a look through Tony's service records, up until 1970.

Tony, born in 1926, actually joined Cerberus in Nov 1945 as an ERA, for a initial period of 12 years. He subsequently re-engaged a further 3 times for various periods.

His sea going postings in the following HMA Ships:

Barwon, Culgoa, Bataan, GPV 956, Burdenkin, Koala, Sydney, Kangaroo, Koala, Quiberon, Melbourne, Hobart, Sydney and we know he then went to Brisbane.

His shore postings included HMA Ships:

Cerberus x 4, Lonsdale, Kuttabul x 2, Tarangau, Penguin x 3 and Platypus.

He sure had a broad range of experiences during his career.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:34 pm 
Div. Officer

Bob,

There will be a memorial service for Tony next Friday at Oatlands ex-Servicemen and Women's Club, 1 Albert St, at 11 am. On the 16/12/22.

If I can get a flight, I will attend.

Regards

Peter Hall
Hall Contracting Pty Ltd
0408 712 634.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:10 am 
Sprog

City or Town: Mount Martha
State: Victoria
Tony was also the Nirimba MEDB WO in 74 and 75. He reinvigorated the steam club and completed works on the foden and later the recovery and restoration of the marshal. A great man lost. RIP

4th Muppet Intake
Jan 73 to Jan 93
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Melbourne, Perth, Creswell, Hobart, Cerberus, Derwent, Huon, Hobart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:05 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
Might some of this information be passed on to the Navy Steam Club to enrichen their history of the Foden (in their care). Only proper that the efforts of some is recognised.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next