Google Search
Google

Post subject: VALE Alan Saunders...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW

Dick, (Roebuck...?)

As you seem to be the conduit for all bad news about past shipmates and associated personnel, could I ask you to distribute the following news – there will be many Navy personnel, particularly Submariners (OBERON and COLLINS Class) and the Commissioning Crew of SUCCESS who recognize the name and the real loss of an extraordinarily decent man with a big heart, great commitment and an even bigger work ethic…

ALAN SAUNDERS, who didn’t follow his father into the Navy, is now playing golf on a higher course – he may not be playing it better, but if not, he certainly deserves to. [-o<

Alan was a ‘Natio’ who served in Vietnam (I think with the RAEME – he was never very forthcoming on this aspect of his younger years)his father was always fondly remembered as a “retread” Chief SAP by Apprentices at NIRIMBA - particularly the SAP’s – who he taught 4.5” gun theory and practical to at the dreaded Bldg 259 in the early to mid 70’s.

Alan was at Cockatoo Island for many years and then, very fortunately, came to work on the COLLINS Class submarine project in Adelaide.

This was “a man’s man” who pulled no punches, got on with it, tried not to make enemies but in the end didn’t care if he did - as long as the job was done, it was done right, and done right the first time. He was totally loyal to his staff and peers, and worked harder than the vast majority. He was a man of his word – no documentation needed, and indeed for his part it was to be avoided – what he said he would do is was what he did – if not more. He also found time to dote on his family – probably not as much as they would have liked, but that was the nature of the beast. (Have a familiar ring to some?)

Alan, if my sagging memory serves, was only 61 or 62, and is survived by his wife Dorothy and lovely daughter Alice, and went to the new first tee from South West Rocks, where he retired to, after the last submarine of the class was formally handed over to the Navy in 2003 – he refused to even think about retirement until the job was ALL done.

An immense loss – not only personally, but I expect to a host of others, and most particularly COLLINS Class submariners, all of whom would have had some dealings with him – and without exception, found him to be a legend in his own time.

At this stage , his funeral is expected to be held in SWR next Monday – I have no more specific details.

Vale Alan, good friend, great workmate, great company, setter of standards that more should aspire to, woeful putter. :notworthy:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 1 post ]