Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:18 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Blackbutt
State: Qld
I think Nigel Benbow Berlin was the Bligh Division D.O. in the early to middle '60's.

13th MOBI Intake
1962 to 1982
Nirimba, Sydney, Melbourne, Tarangau, Penguin, Albatross Kuttabul, Harman, Hobart, Platypus, Duchess, Brisbane, Moreton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:53 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
I think your memory is spot on Bob.
I got to know "Fifi" pretty well during my time at Nirmba when he started the athletics team up and we competed as a team in the Sydney weekend interclub athletics competition, as well as competing in the NSW cross country competitions. He was a middle distance runner as was I and we shared many training runs out and about in the local area. At one stage he organised for us to be able to leave Nirimba when on duty weekends to allow the duty watch to go for "training runs" over these boring weekends.

He organised cross country/athletics trips to many country areas (usually in the Hunter Valley wine area) on various weekends, as well as arranging for the NSW Cross Country Championships to be held at Nirimba on at least one occasion (If I remember correctly I surprisingly finished either 3rd or 4th).

I never served with him again after Nirimba but I ran into him several times in later years at interservice competitions and at various other times and locations and he was always had time for a chat. He was always dedicated to what he did although he gave the appearance of being a "bit remote or aloof" I found him to be quite approachable and easy to get on with.

I am sorry to hear of his crossing of the bar, I have some great memories. VALE Nigel Richard Benbow Berlyln, RIP you have served your time well.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:02 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Blackbutt
State: Qld
Pony,I had forgotten about him and the Athletics Squad, of which I, too, was a member but only vaguely remember training with Des Hinton, as we both did 440 and 880 yds., I think at E.S. Marks Field.
Now, I couldn't run out of sight on a dark night. :sheeesh: :run: :run: :run:

13th MOBI Intake
1962 to 1982
Nirimba, Sydney, Melbourne, Tarangau, Penguin, Albatross Kuttabul, Harman, Hobart, Platypus, Duchess, Brisbane, Moreton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:02 pm 
Div. Officer

That was where the action was at Bob, we also did some training at the Western Suburbs ground/track on week nights (Concord Oval). I do recal you having a trot at along with many others. We didn't do too badly and I recall we reached the club finals of the 4 x 220 yds and I think we (Ted Powell, Dale Walters myself and one other who's name escapes me - I was the ring in) finished just out of the placing's.

I can also remember one trip to Cessnock where we marched (must have been around Anzac day) and we had all been sampling the local produce at Tyrell's (I think) before hand. Fifi was not amused, but we had a good time. Nyls Blyth was trying to march in a straight line by having his arms touch the shoulders of the person just in front of him. Funny to watch.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Am I mistaken, but was Fifi the Training Commander at one stage..?

Always thought he was - as previously said - a bit aloof, but I put that down to his RN origins. Thought he was a straight up decent bloke.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:40 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
State: NSW
I remember him when he was General Manager of GID.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
:-k I thought he taught us maths, :evil3: either before, or after Uksi (?)... :dontknow:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:51 pm 
Div. Officer

Seejay wrote:
Am I mistaken, but was Fifi the Training Commander at one stage..?

Always thought he was - as previously said - a bit aloof, but I put that down to his RN origins. Thought he was a straight up decent bloke.

Don't believe he was TC, the RN'er that was at one stage was, I believe, David Mark Alexander Hans Hamilton!!

He left Nirimba at the end of 65 and joined Vampire as MEO, from 66-67 when he went to GID as project superintendent then as SPJP.

I don't recall him teaching maths, Rick, but he have have taught is to others.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:54 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
Funeral arrangements for Nigel Berlyn.

Due to space limitations with extended family & friends the Chapel at the funeral home is now full and all the guests we have been in touch with know where they need to be by when. (We will have direct follow up comms for them available shortly.)

Please share this invite with any other interested parties and they need to know they are most welcome to attend the streamed service here at Annesley, 10 Westwood Drive, Bowral in The Garden Room at 1:00 pm (At Cafe Annesley site in map below) and of course the actual wake which starts at 2:30 pm at an immediately adjacent venue.

Best parking is available on Westwood Drive or intersecting Aitken Road.

If people would like to attend the celebration of our Dad, Nigel, virtually - the link that is now live they can use is:

https://beavansfunerals.com.au/live-str ... 076e3c65a4

The notice below will appear in this Saturday’s SMH:

Kind regards,

Nick, Matt, & James Berlyn & Ali Titterton

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
:type: Posted on behalf of 13th MOBI Intake Chippy Paul 'Polly' Adcock... :evil3:

"Hi Rick,

I thank you providing this information about the sad passing my old Divisional Officer Lt Berlin. I will always remember and appreciate how he reached out to me through the athletics group and kept me
focused at Nirimba. I'm sure I would not have made it but for his encouragement.

I do remember how pissed he was with us all at Mussellbrook when we got on the grog. I also remember that he was chuffed that we couldn't better his time to drive from Nirimba to Mussellbrook.

Fondly remembered.

I don't have access to Skilled Hands but would appreciate you posting for me if you would please.

Trust this finds you well.

Regards,

Paul Adcock"

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 61  Next