Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:06 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
State: NSW
The MOBI world has lost another brother.

Richard "Rocky" Grimsey R95265. 22nd Intake (Jan 67)

Rocky joined Leeuwin as a JR in Jan 66 before transferring to Nirimba. Where he trained as an NSAA.

After passing out he joined Supply, Kuttabul (FMP) before snagging a draft to Huon. He then took early release and joined the merchant navy where he achieved his Captancy.

About 5 or 6 years ago, Rocky was in a bad way and at the 11th hour needed a liver transplant. Then more recently, he started having falls and dizzyness. Scans and biopsies confirmed he had brain cancer. Rocky lost his final battle early this morning in Royal Hobart Hospital.

Our condolences to Rocky's wife Colleen. Peter & Margaret Bull (Rocky's sister) and other family members, on behalf of our 22 Intake.

RIP Richard - Fair winds and following seas. :salute1:

Image Image

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:26 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Herne Hill
State: W.A.
What bad News

I have a great story about Rocky , Bennie Carlson , Captain George Unwin and me That's the cast of the story
The scenes

Act 1. Bennie , Rocky and I where drinking in the Shipwright Arms in Hobart Bennie was my boss and Rocky was on I think the Tasman Trader Well after too many drinks Rocky asked if I wanted to go with him on the Trader Bennie agreed and back to the Stalwart I go and pack
Act 2. Sailing out of Hobart I was on the bridge of the Trader as were passing Stalwart Bennie was on the boat deck explaining to Captain Unwin that I was on my to Melbourne on a coastal freighter Unwin no way I want him onboard here
Act 3. I wish that they hadn't looked over as there I was in my glory waving good bye to them
Act 4. Yes when I arrived back onboard Stalwart I got my arse kicked

I must be one of the few Chief Chippies to do his last sea time in the RAN on a tramp steamer

RIP Rocky you are part of one of my great sea stories

ME(D)-DENS-WOMTH4
1966 to 1986
Cerberus,Duchess,Waterhen,Hawk,Nirimba, Melbourne,Torrens,Perth, Leeuwin,Stalwart,Stirling,Kutabul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
:-k Whilst (to the best of my recollection) I never met Rocky, and it's always sad to lose another MOBI, :tear:
(particularly another Chippy,) but it sounds like Rocky must have had a very full and adventurous life... :yess:

:happy: BZ BC and Viv for your condolences/ contributions... :evil3:

=; VALE - Rest on your oars, Rocky, your voyage is done... R.I.P. [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:38 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Waikiki
State: WA
Knew Rocky quite well, played some footy with him.
RIP old mate.

Jan'65 Leeuwin Intake (10th) - Jan'66 Nirimba Intake (20th)
Jan'65 to Mar '88
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Stalwart, Samarai, Lae, Penguin, Curlew, Buccaneer, Navy Office, Barbette, Cairns, RANTTU (based in Port Moresby), Stirling, Bunbury.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:11 am 
Div. Officer

Peter Bull informed me that Rocky’s funeral details are now listed in today’s Hobart Mercury:

A Service for Captain Richard George Grimsey will be held at Graham Family Funeral Home, Cnr Risdon and Bay Roads, New Town, on Monday (14th December 2020) at 12.30pm. Family and friends are warmly invited to attend. Private Cremation.

Apparently, there will be a live streaming service, but no links are available on their website yet.

Graham Family Funerals

https://www.grahamfamilyfunerals.com.au/

Ph: 03 6278 2722 - 24 Hours, 7 days a week
Fax: 03 6278 2724
Email: enquiries@grahamfamilyfunerals.com.au

Viv, Smiley and Rick, I have passed on your posts to Peter Bull.

Graham Family Funerals will also have an online link for anyone wishing to send condolences for Rocky’s service.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:53 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Waikiki
State: WA
Thanks BC

Jan'65 Leeuwin Intake (10th) - Jan'66 Nirimba Intake (20th)
Jan'65 to Mar '88
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Stalwart, Samarai, Lae, Penguin, Curlew, Buccaneer, Navy Office, Barbette, Cairns, RANTTU (based in Port Moresby), Stirling, Bunbury.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:32 am 
Div. Officer

Please find below the link to access the live stream of the funeral service for the late Richard Grimsey:

https://vimeo.com/event/541332/df0e0c1c73

The stream will go live some time shortly before the commencement of the service at 12.30pm, Monday 14th December 2020.

You are able to forward this link to anyone else who wishes to view the service.

In the event of internet service disruption or the inability to view the service, a recorded copy will be uploaded to the following link approximately 4 hours after the funeral:

https://vimeo.com/showcase/7894835

Password – RicGri

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us anytime.

Kind Regards,
Melissa

Melissa Ellingworth
Administration
Graham Family Funerals | AFDA

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
=; Ta muchly, BC... :happy:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:57 pm 
Div. Officer

Rocky's funeral went off like clock work and was well attended with lots of family and friends from all walks of life.

He was well respected in every one of his endeavours, be it sport, RAN, Merchant Navy, Community organisations or social events he was well respected. The bottom line from most speakers was, his can-do attitude and willingness to help.

At the Poppy ceremony, at the right of the casket is Paul Reeve, representing our term.

All standing as the Last Post was played.

RIP Richard, you will be sadly missed but your memories will live forever. :salute1:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:43 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
State: Victoria
When we the July '67 intake joined Nirimba there was a second Grimsey posted there.
Rockys' older brother,William/Bill, also known as Rocky was there as a PTI, He was a POPTI. PO. So those behind us may recognise the name. Bill was there 68/69

Sadly older Ricky has also crossed the bar.

RIP Richard, great footballer and a great guy alround.

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, FMP-W, Stuart, Penguin/Ships Divers course, Stuart, Lonsdale, Melbourne, Kuttabul, Cerberus, Stuart, Swan, Nirimba/ Q course, Cerberus, CPSO-M

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next