Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
For those who may need a small reminder of “Rotating Ron”, here is a short history;

Joining as a licenced electrician, Ron was a CPO EM in the RAN with a distinguished service career. He later became a civilian Technical Instructor in HMAS NIRIMBA’s WEE School where he was affectionately known as 'Rotating Ron'. He taught Rotating Machinery until he was promoted to Senior Technical Instructor Grade 2, the senior civilian in the School.

Ron was also highly regarded as a founding member of the Castle Hill RSL and was still serving on the Board when he was hospitalised. Ron was the longest-serving Pensions Officer in the Castle Hill Sub-Branch until he recently retired. Very much a letter writer, Ron wasn't keen on those new-fangled machines called computers.

Our thoughts are with Marion and the family at this difficult time.

Bob Mummery <bandi@iinet.net.au>

-------------------------------------------------------

Funeral service for Ronald Mervyn Smith OAM
Ex NAVY

Date: Thursday 20 May 2021.
at
10:30 AM

Castle Hill Baptist Church
13 Showground Rd, Castle Hill

Dress for those wishing to attend is tie, jacket and medals.

Wake will be at the Castle Hill & District RSL club after the service.

For further details, please contact the sub-Branch office.
Email: admin@chrslsubbranch.org.au
Ph: (02) 8858 4809

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:44 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
I can remember Ron well from my postings to Nirimba, very capable and well grounded and I found him a pleasure to know. He will be sadly missed by many, particularly as Castle Hill RSL.

Vale Ron, RIP fair winds and following seas.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
:-k This was from a post by Steve Thorbo on the Nirimba Facebook page... :evil3:

Notice today from Castle Hill RSL - Vale Rotating Ron...

Dear Members,

On Sunday morning, May 16, we lost a dear friend and our longest serving Director – Mr Ronald Mervyn Smith, who sadly lost his battle to illness.

A retired Navy man, Ron was a devoted father to Rohan and Haylee, a doting husband to the love of his life, Marion, and a dear friend to many.

For those of you who knew Ron, you’d know that he loved a story, and at 90 years of age - 53 years of which he was a Member of Caste Hill RSL Club and 46 years of which he served as a Director of our Board - he certainly had a few. As a long-serving Director, Ron made a significant contribution to the success of the Group and had an even greater impact on the lives of those associated with the Group over the years, including Members and our people.

Ron was a dedicated Life Member of the Castle Hill RSL sub-Branch, where he served as a President and Secretary, and held the positions of Pensions and Welfare Officer and Co-ordinator of events for Life and Veteran Members for many years – introducing luncheons to recognise Veteran service and renew friendships between those that served.

Ron was also known for his contribution to the community and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for service to Veterans in 2004 – the same year he was awarded an Order of Australia Medal.

Ron will be remembered for his sense of service, sense of belonging, sense of history and sense of humour. He most certainly made an impact in whichever room he was present.

Rotating Ron, after a full career, has returned his bedding for the last time. Fair winds and smooth seas – rest easy shipmate, we have the watch.

Yours Aye,
Warren Glenny
President – CHRG

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:23 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
I also had a number of postings to Nirimba. I knew of Ron but did not have any direct dealings with him. I'm sure many of the Greenie world will be familiar with him.

Ron's Vietnam service was 2 x trips in HMAS Sydney in 1965.

My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Ron :salute1:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 4 posts ]