Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:00 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
State: NSW
And sadly we lose another MOBI. I well remember Peter from both NIRIMBA days and service in the Fleet. Ken Drechsler has labelled Peter Very well, that’s how we all knew him and how we will remember him.

RIP Peter

Bob Mummery

Dear All,

My dear old friend Peter Brian Holt died on the morning of Wed 31 August in the Mary Potter Hospice on Calvary Hospital, Adelaide. His struggle with mesothelioma was monumental in that from diagnosis he lasted longer than most. Whenever it looked like he was down—up he would pop. Typically he was focussed, determined, courageous, thorough, funny, grumpy and building intricate models. Same as normal, just slowly or quickly getting sicker. Peter, his family and medical team deserve great credit as his spirit remained vital till the end. He was much loved.

I have attached a cutting from The Advertiser that my brother Colin sent me on Saturday.
Please circulate this email as you deem appropriate. I apologise to those not on the list.
Regards
Ken (Snoz) Drechsler

Peter was a Chippy and was on HMAS Sydney where he completed 10 trips to Vietnam between Jan 1968 and Mar 1972.

I can't remember any close dealings with Peter, as I served with him on The Ferry, but that's more ol'timers syndrome. Sad to lose another MOBI way too soon. - BC

RIP Peter :salute1:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
[-( Whilst not unexpected, knowing the long and valiant fight Pete put up, but very sad nonetheless. Ken 'Snoz' Drechsler encapsulated it very succinctly, BZ Snoz... :happy:

My memories of Pete (MOBI Intake behind mine,) were of a very likeable, gentle soul, one of life's true gentlemen, who clearly will be sorely missed by both his peers, extended family and all who knew him well...

=; Rest on your oars Pete, your journey's done... Another MOBI taken far too young... R.I.P. [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Vale Peter.

I replaced Peter as the Fleet Painting Instructor at FHQ in '82 when promoted to WOMTH. He had pioneered the position when it was upgraded by FOCAF (Hudson) and was absolutely ferocious and fearless when dealing with ships whose CO's/XO's were painting ship sides, repainting and repainting again just to look nice. Melbourne was the worst culprit, and I believe the additional weight in paint she carried on her topsides was over 60 tons.

He had an inexhaustible capacity for investigative and innovative work, and always wanted to run a motel in South Oz.

Fair skies and following seas, Peter. :yes:

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:51 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
I lived next to Pete and his then wife Marion in the married patch at Creswell in 1970 and then served with him on at least one ship after that. I ran into him again on Anzac Day in Tanunda when the 13th Intake were having our 50th reunion.

We had lots of great times together, his passing has brought tears to my eyes. Rest easy old mate. :tear:

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:11 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
State: Victoria
That has just floored me. I remember Peter on Sydney in 1971/ 72.
And then as Fleet Painter when I was on Melbourne.
Small in stature but mighty big in fortitude and commitment.
RIP
Peter

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, FMP-W, Stuart, Penguin/Ships Divers course, Stuart, Lonsdale, Melbourne, Kuttabul, Cerberus, Stuart, Swan, Nirimba/ Q course, Cerberus, CPSO-M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:20 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
https://nominal-rolls.dva.gov.au/vetera ... =VIETNAM#R

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, FMP-W, Stuart, Penguin/Ships Divers course, Stuart, Lonsdale, Melbourne, Kuttabul, Cerberus, Stuart, Swan, Nirimba/ Q course, Cerberus, CPSO-M

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:26 pm 
Sprog

City or Town: Queanbeyan
I was lucky to spend the first six months of occasionally difficult life at Nirimba with Pete occupying the next bed - he was one of those people who everyone instinctively and immediately knew as a terrifically good human being, decent and more in every way. Sad news.

Garry Miller, R42703

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:57 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
I remember Pete from Nirimba as quiet amiable and well respected. Someone you could really rely on and lookup to.
A really nice guy taken far too soon.
RIP Pete, and may you have fair winds and following seas.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:51 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
Very sad to hear. Worked with Peter at ASC on the COLLINS Class project in the ILS Dept. Nice guy and a good sense of humour.

Caught up with him not that long ago for coffee with a number of other ex-ASC guys, and he was pretty upbeat about his cancer and seemed to be on top of it. Another one taken too soon. Smooth seas and fair winds on your final journey mate… :tear:

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 9 posts ]