Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:48 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
State: NSW
My thoughts exactly (I am lucky to exist), but did you see the Royal Navy fire truck?

Tricky's Footnote: You mean in the background at 2:15 and at 2:43...? For more on the accident itself : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHZN2HLkWGU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:01 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
I did! :captain:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:19 pm 
Div. Officer

Continuing to labour on the timber frame for the truck (bit by bit). As it is not intended as a complete restoration but an austere fix, there is no intent to remain entirely faithful to the former product use but, I thought that I might replace the former steel screws in parts of the frame with ones of greater longevity (a hint of sarcasm noting the truck was built in 1953, I was born in 1955 and this work is being done in 2022). So, the choice was passivated steel, galvanised or 304 stainless steel (price variation was amazingly very little). Whilst standing in the hardware shop with the picked 304 S/S screws in hand, a brainfart ensued:
Way off topic: I remembered that the staunchions and guardrails on the FFGs (all above maindeck) had 304 stainless bolts and they had an issue after more than 20 years in service :omg1: . Then I remembered that, at the time, the naval architects considered the lamebrain idea to change all of those bolts to 316 stainless steel :banghead: (product determination, process to prove change of material, approval, change to every drawing associated with, etc). If they had gone ahead with it there were only two FFGs left by the time all approvals and processes would have been completed.
Back on topic, 304 stainless steel it is.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:24 pm 
Div. Officer

I thought a yearly update:

I thought it time to update on the progress on the truck (not that a great has occurred but it is still not on that scrap pile).
Unfortunately we have not had a great deal of opportunity to go down to our place so work on the truck (on site) has been limited (though it is still safely undercover in its new shed).

I am still trying to completely dismantle the rear brake cylinders at home (I have got them apart but there is a multi manufactured piston that has to be taken apart and this continues to be problematic). As I offered earlier there are no replacement parts for this design anywhere in the world (contacts in the UK have overhaul kits but no complete cylinders) so I have no choice but to not give up.

Replacing the rotten timber continues and I am starting on the bottoms of the rear door frames (this will be added to when I start making the new rear posts). I have made some fitted timber bits around the guard in the area of the front doors. When bolted onto the guard I should be able to attach the front doors (still very little remaining timber around the roof line).

Having reattached the gauge panel I attempted to turn the engine over but the only visual indicator was smoke coming from the gauge panel (I believe it involved a dead short on the main supply from the starter to the starter button so, just another glitch to overcome). The guy down in Victoria who has one of the Albatross units (only a cab chassis) sent me some film work of his successful effort to start his truck (his description was that he cleaned the plugs and points, replaced the old fuel and battery and started the truck). We have the complete truck, he has the one that easily starts (how strange that the Nirimba unit could not be started at the time of the Wardroom fire in 1966 - and only 80 metres away)….

I have relocated all the steel cupboards doors to home. One has been refurbished and returned to the truck, the rest are in my shed at home waiting their turn. As the slam latches used on the cupboard doors are also impossible to source, I am going to have to rebuild them as well. To date I have rebuilt two of the slam latches, one with an entirely different spring system (but it works).

Nothing else to report....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
:hi: Hi Brian, well done, please feel free to send me some photos :happy3: of your progress if you wish and I'll upload them to your post... :type: :evil3:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:17 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
Yeh, there's nothing better than seeing the "Before & After" shots of rusted/busted parts, and the corrected results of all that hard work.

Keep chipping away. :whip :ok:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13