Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:47 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
State: NSW
I have a confession to make. I "rescued" the 1950s ex-HMAS Nirimba Thornycroft Nubian airport fire tender from ending up in a scrap yard. Please note that this is not a thread requesting anything but (it has been suggested), some might be generally interested in reading about whatever progress occurs.

At this time it is a “rescue”, nothing more but with the vision stretching to restoration AND, if that is successful, then maybe, donating the vehicle to the Albatross Aviation Museum.

So sit back and relax...............

The story so far:

When I was instructing at HMAS Nirimba (1988 to 1993) there were two naval firefighters manning the fire station (operating a Mercedes tanker and a Toyota Landcruiser). These two firefighters had found out about the old Nirimba unit (it was in country NSW at a town called Ladysmith).

The naval firefighters approached the owner to see if would be willing to sell it. Their plan was to have it floated back to HMAS Nirimba (by the Army) and have the various training workshops at HMAS Nirimba assist with restoring it back to roadworthy condition. They were looking to put it in the Bourke to Birdsville Charity Bash on behalf of the RAN but, unfortunately (I believe) the owner upped the price and they had to scrap the plan.

The next I heard of the Nirimba unit was January 2013 when a young bloke was asking of the vehicles history on an internet site run by ex Nirimba apprentices. He was saying that his father (William Wray) had been at HMAS Nirimba in the 60s and remembered this unit (after leaving the Navy his father was a NSW firefighter for 30 years). William Wray purchased the vehicle with the intent to restore it.
At the time the young bloke offered this “the old girl is actually in good condition. It’s all aluminium so it’s only the paint that’s falling off. When we moved it a week ago the rubber on the tyres went as did the rubber on the fire hoses. Dad does intend getting it running (he's retired) and we have mechanics and panel beaters in the family”.

Regrettably his father passed away in 2017 and his mum approached the Coolamon Fire Museum to see if they wanted it. At the time the Coolamon Mens Shed said that they would be happy to assist in the restoration of the vehicle (on the basis of it being a fire truck) so the manager of the museum organised for the unit to be moved from its location at Junee (not too far from Wagga Wagga). When the vehicle arrived both the manager of the museum and those from the Mens Shed realised that this was a project a little (lot) beyond their expectations and abilities. The manager of the museum approached the Nirimba Naval Association to see if there was another ex-Nirimba member who might be willing to take on the project as its next location would be a scrap yard. I had not intended to get involved with a restoration project but could not bear to see this vehicle end up in a scrap yard. I offered to “rescue” the vehicle with the possibility of undertaking some form of austere restoration. The widow of the former owner was quite happy for the vehicle to be passed onto me with the stipulation that she be given the opportunity for a ride in it (if and when it was driveable).

To think, I never considered (in 1989) that the approach from the two RAN firefighters at Nirimba (who had found this unit and intended to purchase and restore to complete the Bourke to Birdsville Bash) would lead to me ending up with it in 2018..........

I had the vehicle moved up to a little property we have in the Southern Highlands and am now planning its austere restoration. I am certainly not of the expectation that it will be an easy job and do not share the belief that the vehicles condition is “good”.
To date I have stripped off all the rotten flooring in the cupboards, taken the remains of the two front doors off the vehicle and relocated them to our home in Sydney. I have started replacing most of the wood kit on the front doors. I would have thought that the benefit of using both doors to work out their build (mirror image) would help however, I am finding two separate built doors (varying timber thicknesses, etc).

Sad to say but I have been only able to find one (possible) reference to it whilst at HMAS Nirimba. In a precise from the Naval Historical Society covering HMAS Nirimba from its formation in 1956 to 1969 there is a reference to apprentices having to show their firefighting skills, waiting on the arrival of the foam tender (being very slow) and the driver managing to spray foam over the reviewing officer.

Condition:
The vehicle has been parked outside since (at least 1988 though, most likely, well before).
Condition of the prime mover (4 cylinder) and V8 pump engine is yet to be determined.
All the wiring loom has deteriorated (rubber perished).
There is corrosion in at least three locker doors, most of the steel angle supporting the wooden floors and at least two holes in the water/foam tank. Effectively the entire wood kit for the cabin must be replaced (but the aluminium skin is in good condition).

To date one of my biggest frustrations has been trying to find information on the model.

I have been in contact with The Thornycroft Register in the UK to find out if they had more information on the class build. At first they described it as a common unit with an eight cylinder Rolls Royce engine. When I told them it had a four cylinder prime mover and a Ford side valve V8 pump engine they were a little mystified. From investigation I have found that as a 5.1 litre four cylinder only a small build program as it was found to be underpowered (so they went to the eight cylinder engine). It appears that the Ford V8 engine (pump prime mover) may have been built between 1932 and 1938 (21 stud heads).

The RAF Firefighting Museum that was at RAF Scampton has a similar looking model but there are doored cupboards on the back whilst this unit has metal roller doors. With luck I may get the opportunity to see this unit when next we visit the UK.

On another site was an image of an ex- RCAF unit (again with solid doors at the back rather than roller doors).

Post subject: Re: HMAS NIRIMBA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:25 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
............................................................................................Image
:omg: Well :pharque: me, Brian, you are a dark horse, :horse: aren't you...! :omg1: Congratulations on your acquisition, I sincerely wish you well in your endeavours to restore the old girl... :finga:

I presume this is the beastie in question; she's been the subject of a number of discussions :down: on various social media over the years, with most consigning her to the 'too hard basket'... [-(

:right: Image :left: :right: Image :left: :right: Image :left:

:-k I really wish I could get more excited for you, Brian, but I guess The MOBI Yacht 'Nirimba' sucked every last skerrick of enthusiasm for such projects out of me, :money 3: not to mention... :money 2:

=; However, I am more than happy to assist with posting your photographic progress for you, or alternatively, :finga: school you on the use of photo-hosting websites, so you can do it yourself... :yea:

:book: As a resource, Brian, I take it you're aware of the Museum of Fire in Penrith..? :type: https://www.facebook.com/pg/MuseumOfFir ... e_internal Fine collection of vintage Fire Engines/ Tenders etc...

................................................................. :bob dark: :bob dark:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:27 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
I remember that beast. Even a mob of MOBI's at the slow shuffle could out run it!

Good luck Stroppy. :yes: :supz:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:55 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
It was my suggestion for Brian to post his project on here as it is of interest to many of our members, and especially me as I have a long history in restoration projects - that continue to this day.

I spotted the two wooden doors in a pic that Brian had sent me of his workshop in comparison to mine. It was along the lines of I had room to swing a cat but he only had half the room, thence half a cat (an idea that appeals..... :badgrin: ). I'll post it sometime today.

The idea of posting the project is to gain information and recommendations from our band of very knowledgable members - not funding assistance. What parts may be required; where available; methodologies to be used; books, drawings, diagrams; best places to look for bits; best people to ask about it all; historical data and all that may assist Brian in this very interesting task he has set himself.

My first suggestion Brian, would be to grab a couple of containers of Nulon engine treatment. Dump the crankcase oils from both engines and refill with the correct grade. Then add one container of Nulon to each of the engines while they're being turned over (not started, just turned over). I have used this methodology a couple of times with past vehicles with great success. Worth a try.

I wouldn't presume to tell you anything about the woodwork... :haha: !

I guess the flathead V8 is petrol, what about the main engine?

Good luck with it! :grin: :ok:

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:46 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Holbrook
What a great outcome to date , there was another unit rumoured to be around Ladysmith near Wagga but I could not locate it , Will keep looking though.

28th MOBI Intake
Jan 70 to Jan 82
Nirimba x 2 , Cerberus , Derwent , Stalwart , Yarra , Platypus , Watson , Vampire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:05 pm 
Div. Officer

sully11 wrote:
What a great outcome to date , there was another unit rumoured to be around Ladysmith near Wagga but I could not locate it , Will keep looking though.

This is that one. It went from Ladysmith to Junee, Junee to Coolamon, Coolamon to Bevendale.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
Seejay wrote:
It was my suggestion for Brian to post his project on here as it is of interest to many of our members, and especially me as I have a long history in restoration projects - that continue to this day. :ok:

:yea: I too am delighted that Brian is sharing his project with us, SeeJay, :yess: I think he should also share it on the Nirimba Facebook pages, as we seem to appeal/
cater to slightly different RANATE demographics, and don’t get me wrong, =; Brian and SeeJay, Brian’s genuine attachment for all-things-Nirimba has always, at the
very least, proven to be equal to, if not as deeply felt than that of any of us MOBIs, Muppets, Phasies, or DETs...

:thumbright: I admire Brian for his guts and determination in taking on such a mammoth project, :omg1: one that, as it progresses towards a successful outcome, I'm sure will engender
a ‘warm ‘n’ fuzzy’ feeling in all of us, and I will be the first to applaud its success, but it’s just that I worry for Brian :-k that a project that appears to have beaten several
previous owners was perhaps a challenge too far, particularly if embarked upon by one man on his own... :icare:

Having said that, as Brian has now secured ‘the beast’... :right: Image ...all else is now a moot point... :dontknow:
...................................... ...so, Stroppy, for what it’s worth, (if anything,) :roll: you have my full moral support... :yess: Good luck, my friend... :notworthy:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:33 pm 
Div. Officer

Hopefully not an omen to the future endeavour. I spent more than a little time penning a response to a number of the posts only to have it disappear into the ether when I hit the submit button. Second attempt (shortened version):
It is supposed to be a B series AC4 Rolls Royce 5.1 litre four cylinder petrol engine. Austin did make a large number of these engines under licence but (I believe) they have a five digit engine number whilst this has a four digit number.
I have put the new engine oil/Nulon engine conditioner product on the suggestion list. I have to admit that I was looking at attempting to hand turning the engines with the current oil - now an alternative.

BC - What period were you at Nirimba? Would give me a date range that confirms part of the time it was there.

Rick - Firstly understood. Thanks for the reminder of the Penrith Fire Museum. I did not consider them as they are more aligned to the NSW Fire Brigade and the NSW Rural Fire Service equipment but (no doubt) would make an excellent source for information on some of the equipment that the unit would have carried. Unlike the prior attempts on this vehicle I have recognised that this could go to crap if I let it consume me. I intend to stay entirely rational about what can be done and, at the end of the day, whether it gets finished. I do have the benefit of a mate who owns a vintage car restoration business about a half an hour from where the vehicle is stored (and access to his workshop tooling). For much of the work I will be maintaining a little distance so as not to damage the friendship too much.

I appreciate the offer of posting images from time to time and I will not burden this site with endless minor dribble and will take up your suggestion and inform the Nirimba Facebook site of the rescue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:45 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
I was there 67 - 70, then in 80 for a short period and again at the MEDB 85 - 87'ish.

It would have been the earlier period that the beast was still there. :-k

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:20 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
A thought just surfaced...... :-k

When the wardroom burned down I was one of the lucky unfortunates that had to help fight the fire. I can remember lots of yelling and screaming by the 'responsible officers' in charge with little effect. After all, "get boundary cooling on that f***ing roof" when the interior is a furnace was of no effect at all other than to cause the (hot asbestos) roof to explode..... :omg1:

That said, I seem to remember the fire tender at the blaze prior to the bushfire firefighters attending with their tankers. I'll have to track down the actual date it happened to see whether it can give another reference point for a search..... :-k

....and it seens the Geddington Volunteer Fire Brigade has one: http://gvfb.org

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next