Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scams, etc..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:15 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Melbourne
State: Victoria
not quite an internet scam but a monitoring/spying warning.

For the last 18 months Megan has had a court case against her sister about their fathers' estate and the imbalance in the will. I wont bore you with all the details
Needless to say Megans' sister is a scupper of the first order,

After medition on a 7 hour Zoom meting the decision agreed to was that Megan would revceive an increased % of the estate and a fair division of her Mums' jewellery.
The opposing lawyers sent us a word document with photos of the jewellery and a spreadsheet we were asked to fill in as to what items Megan would like to have.

Decisions made and I'm filling in the spreadsheet for Megan and I notice that while I'm typing information some of the other parameters and information is changing and I'm not typing anything at the time! WTF

I notice a couple of icons in the top corner, move the mouse to them 3 are anynomous and one it turns out is my scummy nephew.

Seems he has set this spreadsheet up for his mother. Sent it to the lawyers who forwarded it on to us to complete. It was set up as a live google document and he was able to watch, monitor, spy on us in our input into this document. We were of the understanding that this was private document between us and our lawyers.

I would have thought what he was doing by monitoring what we are doing would be in breach of the privacy act? But just proved that Megans' sister and her son arseholes of the first order.

So beware.

18th JR Intake
23rd MOBI Intake
Jan 67 to July 91
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, FMP-W, Stuart, Penguin/Ships Divers course, Stuart, Lonsdale, Melbourne, Kuttabul, Cerberus, Stuart, Swan, Nirimba/ Q course, Cerberus, CPSO-M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
:omg: Wow...! :omg1:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:14 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
I think it is a breach of the Telecommunications Act!

I would follow this up with lawyers, and take her and him for all they are worth.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:37 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
Had one of those "usual" Telstra calls from "George" regarding our internet connection (calling from "Melbourne"), I asked him what his original nationality was considering the accent. He repeated (three times) that he is in Australia (Melbourne) and I repeated the question, for the fourth time on his original nationality. He stumbled and said "India". Then I asked what his Indian name was (at least twice) and he ultimately stumbled and said "Rikash" (not sure of the spelling). Then I said "So Rikash, what is the problem with my internet" and he waffled on with their organised speil. I asked him to repeat the issue, three times, each time using the Indian name he gave. I thanked him for the call and told him that, as I do not touch the mechanics of the computer (having a technician wallah to do that), I would pass on the issue to my technician wallah to fix it. I then hung up whilst he was still on the line..............

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

:mobile: Phone Hackers :axe: don't appear to be getting any smarter, :crazy: not only are they sending their 'intentionally corrupted' text messages :puter: (see below) to multiple phones... :phone 2: :mobile: :phone: :phone1:
............but as you can see from this message I got... :arrow: Image ...now they're even including the other phone numbers :omg1: they're sending it to...! #-o

:roll: Yes, my phone number is in the mix, #-o but as near as I can tell, [-( none of the other numbers are from any of my phone lists... :evil3: Above all, of course, [-X NEVER CLICK ON THE LINKS...!!! :snap:

....................................... :-k Makes one look back with nostalgia, longing for those simpler, earlier days of the very first Smart-phones... :roll:

...................................................... :phone 2: Image :happy3:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:41 am 
Site Admin

The New Road Toll Scam :car2: :iroc: :ferrari: :hummer: :grey nomads: :police: (just in time for Easter...!)

=; Here in NSW, for our various toll roads, :iroc: we use fully automated windscreen-mounted toll readers (as I assume do most other states as well,) serviced and controlled by a single central body
(even though our toll roads have various owners/ operators.) i.e., Transport NSW E-Toll (NSW Government) and most people have a threshold for automatic top-up, the balance of which is indicated in a
monthly mailed out :gotmail: (or e-mailed) statement... :evil3: Mine is currently sitting in credit to the tune of $112.78. ($50.00 of which was a deposit for the Tag.)

:-k Then this morning at 0226 (2:26 AM) I received the following text message :evil3: on my mobile... :mobile:

"Hi, It's Linkt here. We would like to remind you that your toll bill of
$6.95 (incl GST) will expire on 08/04/2023
(so of course that's tomorrow, just to instil a sense of dire urgency,) :roll:
You can pat on travebill-au.link. Already paid? Please ignore. Thanks."

Now the only way that E-Toll would need to send out ANY notification of a similar nature to the above, is if the battery had died in my tag and I'd gone through a road toll and it hadn't beeped, resulting
in a notification/ demand for payment, along with (if I wanted/ needed/ requested,) photographic evidence that MY car indeed owed for a missed toll.

However this is clearly a SCAM, as not only is my tag beeping, but I'd just received my monthly statement, providing Transport NSW/ E-Toll with every opportunity to advise of any problems with my tag,
or my account... They didn't... [-(

Secondly, I'd never heard of Linkt, my toll statements all come from Transport NSW E-Toll.

Thirdly, my nominated/ preferred mode of contact is via e-mail, or phone call if there's an issue, not a text final demand for payment..!

Fourthly, was the way it was worded, the punctuation and spelling mistakes (in red.)

Finally, (whilst the penny didn't drop at the time,) my neighbour casually mentioned in conversation this afternoon, that a mutual friend had encountered all sorts of problems with her bank, trying to sort
out an E-Toll issue she'd had paying Linkt for a missed toll... :omg1:
It's only just dawned on me that she'd received the same :mobile: SCAM :evil3: ...but had paid it... #-o :bugger: [-X Too late to call her at this hour, :phone: but I'll be in touch with her first thing tomorrow... :sun:

[-( Goes to show, :roll: that pressed for urgent payment, right before Easter, how easily one could get sucked in by this clever (?) SCAM... =; BEWARE... :snap:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:27 am 
Div. Vice Captain

City or Town: Trafalgar
Been going around in Vic for several weeks now. I just log onto my provider and check my account, easy. I have auto top up when it reaches $20 which helps. Not too much money but I never get caught out.

22nd MOBI intake
Jan 67 to Nov 88
RANATE, Sydney, Melbourne, Waterhen, Watson, Carpentaria (UK), Melbourne,Orion, Otama, Onslow, Platypus, Kuttabul(CODOCK)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:44 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Geraldton
State: WA
Had the same scam email two days ago saying my Toll account was overdue

So much for that as in WA we do not have Road tolls

Bloody scammers

:cat1: :stupid:

Ex-LME(D) LSMTP2
17th Intake JR's, 23rd MOBI Intake .
Oct 66 - Nov 74
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Cerberus, Stalwart, Cerberus, Waterhen, Penguin, Carpentaria, Dolphin, Penguin, Sydney, Albatross, Leeuwin, Acute, Leeuwin, Cerberus, Stalwart, Waterhen, Attack, Leeuwin, DEE.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:53 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
This nearly got me the other day. While being half asleep in early morning and preoccupied on a phone call.

PAYPAL, Your account logged-in Device: IOS Mac Air, Location: California U.S.A, on 2023/o4/o3 at 8:56:49am, IF NOT YOU? Call +611800958307 lmmediateIy.

I rang the number and they send me a code to reset my password they wanted me to give them the reset code so they could put the code in, which I unfortunately gave them.

I was confused to start with as to why PayPal were using SMS rather than email, but this quickly woke me up as a few other things clicked.

While the scammer was talking to me I logged into by bank account on my pc and blocked the card that was linked to my PayPal account.
I then managed to reset my password on the PayPal account and then changed it again, and again. Rang PayPal cofirmed all was ok and then cancelled my debit card. The card and paypal account always has a zero balance when in use and I transfer money to it when specificaly needed for a transaction. It then returns to a zero balance.

Meanwhile the scammer dropped off the line.

Lesson here is not to react when half asleep.

The methodology they use to get you to provide the reset code is a a giveaway, but so is the SMS message with mistakes in the date, and a non corporate PayPal logo.

They rely on pressuring you "because it is happening in now". I was caught off guard while preoccupied and just waking up, it seemed odd to start with but I reacted the way they want you too but fortunately I switched on to avert any other issues. The debit account has always had a zero balance and also has specific restriction on use overseas and in store etc. I only use it to pay entry fees to photographic competitions overseas and in Australia as they all require PayPal payment.

Lessons learned.

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

DirtyDiesel wrote:
Had the same scam email two days ago saying my Toll account was overdue

So much for that as in WA we do not have Road tolls

Bloody scammers

:cat1: :stupid:

:happy1: :laughing3: Has, ha, :finga: love it Chuckles...!! :yess: :yea: :finga: :badgrin: :lol1: :badgrin: :happy2: :haha:

So clearly, this particular :iroc: scam is not all that new, just took a while to get to me...! :obey:

BTW, yet another reason to determine it's a shonk, :happy1: no where, nor when [-( said offence/ mis-demeanour occurred... :dontknow:

Hmmm... :-k Another strange SMS message :evil3: I got a week or so ago, which I haven't responded to as yet, reads:

"ATO:- System-upgrade on privacy protocol requires deactivation of your MYgov ID, visit h t t p s : // deck itrite. live / mygov / mygov-login . htm to Reactivate."
(I've added quite a few extra :happy1: 'spaces' to that URL :laughing3: to deactivate :axe: the hyperlink.)

BTW, the myGov government website uses 'myGov' in all it's correspondence and listings, not 'MYgov' or 'mygov' but as I couldn't get a reasonable response from
the myGov auto-bot assistant I've given up and will look elsewhere for a solution assuming it to be shonky... [-(
I received it a week or so after my 5th Covid sign jab (booster) and as my Covid sign certificae is linked to Medicare/ Centrelink/ myGov etc., (and then to my
:mobile: app,)
I thought it could be related to that, but as I wasn't in a hurry to update the certificate on my phone, I let it pass, planning to address it 'in due course'... :roll:
:-k On reflection, and with the benefit of hindsight, why would the :happy1: ATO be involved/ concerned about my Covid sign shots..? :dontknow: I'll assume it's a scam...! #-o

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next