Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
 Post subject: Re: The Vietnam Era
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:07 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Herne Hill
State: W.A.
Stroppy Chippie wrote:
Actually, there is mention in the movie of the choice of M16 over the FN, especially the lack of stopping power of the 5.56 round over the 7.62 of the FN. When they show the aerial resupply of ammunition, they also show everyone reloading magazines after the drop. I have little doubt that the directors ensured that the movie mirrored what occurred and, in the movie they also refer to ensuring that those with the M16 got the M16 bullets and those with the FNs got the FN bullets. I wonder if todays soldier is resupplied (in the field) with packed magazines rather than "bulk bullets"?

On a few occasions i represented Navy at SAS Mess dinners . In the sergeants mess there is modified FN rifle which the SAS shortened the stock and the barrel and made the rifle a lot more usable in the thick undergrowth. They also stated that Lithgo said it cant be done. They also turned them into rapid fire. Military Ingenuity proved them wrong
The last couple of years I have been to the SAS barracks for fund raisers They have a cocktail party in their museum now that is something to talk about , There is also a SAS decorations room with photos of the soldiers and the decorations they have received . The general public never hear about
Viv

ME(D)-DENS-WOMTH4
1966 to 1986
Cerberus,Duchess,Waterhen,Hawk,Nirimba, Melbourne,Torrens,Perth, Leeuwin,Stalwart,Stirling,Kutabul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
In recognition of 'Long Tan Day', quite aside from the newly released movie,
'Danger Close' the video below was the definitive documentary of the events of
Thursday, August 18th, 1966, :type: The Battle of Long Tan... :sniper:

:type: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gUSq7pxux4

=; I know that having watched the documentary above :up: it will give
me a better appreciation of 'Danger Close' when I see it on the big screen...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:35 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
Rick,

I'm confused/curious regarding your "reminder" for Vietnam Veterans Day.

My understanding of Vietnam Veterans Day evolved from the Long Tan Day anniversary. Many VV's questioned why Long Tan should get so much attention when many other battles were as significant or more significant, and should be acknowedged also.

Subsequently, in recent years, Long Tan Day became Vietnam Veterans Day and become more inclusive toward other battles and branches of service. That date is th 18th August each year.

As to when troops became active on Vietnam soil, that started in July 1962 with the insurgance ot the AATTV0. Official Australian political support for South Vetnam started some time in 1960.

So, am I missing some other significant detail that became an anniversary today? :-k

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

:omg1: :oopssign: :shit: :bugger: :prayer: My profound apologies, BC, (and all other :salute1: VVs generally,) VV Day date now corrected... :oopsy:

...it was due to omitting of a single digit in date setting on the countdown ticker, typing in 2020/08/1 instead of 2020/08/18...!!! #-o

:evil3: Reminder to self, :happy1: type once, check twice...
............................... ...type once, check twice...
................................ ...type once, check twice...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:59 pm 
Div. Officer

I thought you must have found some highly unusual bit of trivia! :bugger:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

:-k Had I been a :salute1: VV myself, BC, :roll: I might have noticed the error earlier... :obey: Sorry all... #-o

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:41 pm 
Div. Officer

This might trigger some memories fron the 60's & 70's.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

29 March 2023 Joint Media Release
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese & Minister Veterans’ Affairs Matt Keogh

Commemorative medallion to mark 50 years since the end of Australia's involvement in the Vietnam War :medal:

The medallion is a small but meaningful way to honour the service of Vietnam veterans and to recognise the sacrifice of those who never returned home and that of their families.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the end of Australia’s involvement in the Vietnam War. Some 60,000 Australians served in the Vietnam War, more than 3,000 were wounded and 523 tragically
lost their lives. We must honour those who served and the families that support them.

The medallions are available for every veteran, and can be applied for by Vietnam War veterans, widows of veterans and other family members of veterans.

The launch of the medallions continues the Australian Government’s recognition of this significant anniversary throughout 2023, culminating in a national commemorative service on Vietnam Veterans’
Day, 18 August 2023.

For more details on the commemorative medallion, including how to apply, or for more information about the other commemorative events planned,
visit the DVA website: :type: http://www.dva.gov.au/vietnam50

Quotes attributable to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese:

“This year, as we mark 50 years since the role of Australian troops in the hostilities in Vietnam came to a close, let us acknowledge your service and sacrifice.”

“Your experiences during and after the war are a powerful reminder of the sacrifices made by those who have served our country and the debt of gratitude we owe each and every one of you.”

“These medallions are a small but meaningful way to honour your service - to recognise the sacrifice of those who never returned home, and of those who did, and endure the scars of service.”

Quotes attributable to Minister for Veterans’ Affairs Matt Keogh:

“This was a war that was at times contentious at home, and for some veterans their service not recognised as it should have been.

“To each and every one of our Vietnam veterans: We honour you. We thank you.

Webmasters' Footnote: Here's the :type: RAN version going for $45.00: Image (Available from numerous Military shops...)

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:25 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Geraldton
State: WA
And this is what they think of us ex Navy Types

Dear Mr Britt

Thank you for your email regarding the ship depicted in the 50th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam War medallion.

The logo and medallion have three depictions on them. A helicopter representing Royal Australian Air Force service, a soldier representing Army service and a ship representing Royal Australian Navy service. You are correct in identifying the ship silhouette was taken from the HMAS Sydney (III), also known as the ‘Vung Tau Ferry’. As you noted, the super structure on the silhouette of the ship was moved. This was to accommodate all images clearly as the aim of the design was to be inclusive of the three services, rather than provide a completely accurate illustration of the ship, the helicopter or the soldier. The design was developed with the assistance of a consultative committee of stakeholders from across various veteran groups who represent and support Vietnam veterans and their families. It commemorates those who fought in the war and returned home, and those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

I hope this assists in your understanding of the design image. Thank you for again for your enquiry.

Kind regards
Rory

Rory Walker | Assistant Director
Commemorations Section | Commemorations Branch
Commemorations Division
Department of Veterans’ Affairs
Ph: 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372)
www.dva.gov.au

For what they have done, this we will do.

Ex-LME(D) LSMTP2
17th Intake JR's, 23rd MOBI Intake .
Oct 66 - Nov 74
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Cerberus, Stalwart, Cerberus, Waterhen, Penguin, Carpentaria, Dolphin, Penguin, Sydney, Albatross, Leeuwin, Acute, Leeuwin, Cerberus, Stalwart, Waterhen, Attack, Leeuwin, DEE.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:38 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
Surprised that "it is only a boat" was not offered as part of the reply.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57