Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: The Vietnam Era
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:27 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
This topic is not just to elicit discussion about the war itself - although that will no doubt be the main thread running through the topic - but to get stories from everyone of the trips there & back, what was happening in Oz at the time (both good and bad), and maybe even get some good advice to some about claims to DVA, and so forth.

Remember back to 1962, when our first servicemen went over there. Both Army and Navy were there, with at least two RAN ships visiting Saigon.

Hipster shorts were being worn by the 'in boys' in my neighbourhood, The Beatles were fresh on the scene, surfing was fast becoming the cool pastime, and The Stomp was being danced at every dance hall that would allow 'that sort' of dance. And the world seemed to be so very simple, and innocent.

Then flash forward to 1973, when Australia finally withdrew the last of her troops, sailors, airmen and nurses. Drugs were in widespread use - though not as widespread or diverse as today - and most music had undergone an unbelievable transformation.

It was an era when the war - not a police action, not a conflict, but a war - affected every part of the nation's lives.

What are your memories of this era, both good and bad?

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject: The roaring 60's
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:22 am 
Reg. Chief

City or Town:
State:
how about those 60's, when the boys were boys and girls would tease us.
The girl who sat next to me in High School class flashed me with her,VERY ample boobs and I was gob-smacked.

The sight of the a mini skirted woman was enough to sent a poor lads blood pressure soaring.

I can remember taking my squaries at the time to see "The age of Consent" where there was the slightest hint of bum cheek shown on the screen. Oh be still my pounding blood pressure.

No conversation after, of the meaning of the film or the artistic value,Oh no, try and find a quiet spot and try the same moves.
The only thing we had to worry about was the Social Diseases. Not HIV or whatever. Well maybe getting the girl in the pudding club.

The 60's was an exciting decade and to look back and smile about the good times is good, but reflect in what price the nation paid for those ten years of social upheavel. Would i do it again "S#@T yes" only hard and faster.
:butthead: :supz: :supz: :supz: :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :finga:

23rd Intake JRTE
1968 to 1982

Death with dignity is better than life in humiilation.

IF YOU DON'T LOVE AUSTRALIA. GET THE F#@@
OUT OF HERE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Damn right, Lou! Without even thinking it over.

And mini skirts! Who could ever pass up the chance to check one of those out as she passed by? I've even changed direction to follow an 'extra special' version.

And who could forget when the bras got burned? I remember driving along George Street when a liberated young lady crossed the road in front of me. For a bloke from the era of the straightjacket bra, it certainly was an uplifting experience.

Cheers

CJ

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Post subject: The Vietnam Era
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:17 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Callala Bay
State: NSW
Not to forget the joys of having a beer in the Quarterdeck Bar up the Cross. Situated below ground level with windows looking straight up at the street!
There was a laundromat right across the road and many a load of dhobying went horribly amiss while the owner was over at the Quarterdeck Bar gazing skyward up those delightful mini skirts passing by on the street above!

18th MOBI Intake
Jan 65 to Jan 78
Nirimba,Sydney,Vampire,Tarangau,Albatross, Stalwart,Creswell.

Post subject: 60's live on
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:08 am 
Reg. Chief

City or Town:
State:
Quarter deck bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: [-X

How many sailors had stood with there face glued to that window?

You would think that window would have been preserved at Spectle Island with the other Naval artifacts. It was an icon.

Who can remember the old TEXAS TAVERN, TT's. Remeber when the yanks had R&R no Australians were allowed in. But I don remember some very weird sounding Amercians in there.

What was the name of the Band that played there?

Was it Nev Nichols?

Someone help me out there.

23rd Intake JRTE
1968 to 1982

OUT OF HERE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

There was a band at TT's?? By the time I rolled into the place I couldn't see 3 feet in front of me, but I do remember music of a sort in there.

On a different tack, I always associate Ford Mustangs with Vietnam, mainly for the years they were first released and became a motoring icon straight away. After 1972, the style sorta got a bit blowsy. Funny that, eh?

I have an army mate up here who associates rain with Vietnam, and the wet season really p***es him off.

Cheers

CJ

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85

Post subject: Vietnam Era
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:00 pm 
Reg. Chief

City or Town:
State:
Yes I can relate to the Mustang Icon. I remember seeing my first Soft top Mustang in Perth in the mid 60's. I also remember seeing Elvis' Gold caddy, when it toured Australia.

What about the difference between states over the legal age to consumer beer in a hotel? :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :butthead:

In 1970 the age was lowered in WA, but didn't lower in NT until after 1971.

I guess the other big thing from the 60's was the Space Race.

Something bigger than a Mustang, with about the same fuel comsumption.

Does anyone remember the old Radion and Television licences?

My mother would not put up an outside aerial because she didn't want to pay the license. So we had markd on the lounge room wall position for the best pick up off the desire channel.

My mothers attitude wasTV was free to air and she wasn't paying the PMG anything. :butthead:

:drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :supz: :supz: :supz:

23rd Intake JRTE
1968 to 1982

OUT OF HERE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:39 am 

Speaking of marks on the wall ... did anyone have "flying ducks"?

Now I was a little young when Vietnam broke out in the Sixties and at that stage, my family had decided to move to Canada only to turn around and come back to the Land of Oz (best ever), 2.5 years later ... realising their mistake!!! As kids, we just had to follow suite.

At any rate, remember well when we came back to Oz, the first house we moved into and our neighbours who had twin daughters. One married a soldier who was shipped off to Vietnam the day after their honeymoon (at least they got that). First day he landed in Vietnam, the poor bugger was shot in the head. She was an instant widow. We were all devastated.

I too used to wear the old mini skirts. In my first job they were so short, I don't know why I even bothered!!! Should have just worn the top (when I look back on the pics now). Well it was fashion, and I am also guilty of wearing platform shoes. The higher, the better. Halter tops, flares and all the other wonderful (?) 60's/70's stuff. My prized possession was a pair of flares from Just Jeans (when they first started to open). They laced up at the back and had a bib in front which buttoned up on either side, like old sailors pants and were appropriately called "Sea Legs".

I never burned my bra ... but I left it in the cupboard quite often (when I could get away with it (o)(o) ).

GTK, Bellbird, Division 4, Matlock, No.69, A Clockwork Orange ... JC Superstar. Well, thats some of my memories. An interesting topic Seejay.

Cheers,
Bobcat :cat:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:54 am 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
bobcat wrote:
Speaking of marks on the wall ... did anyone have "flying ducks"?

Have them - it was part of woodworking at school to make one - of course we had them!!

Used a spokeshave, a shit tins of sandpaper and a heap of varnish (still looked crap!)

Kittbagg (yes I have butchered wood!)

28 June 85 - 05 Jul 2005
Nirimba, Kuttabul, Hobart, Waratah, Perth, Kuttabul, Waratah, Perth, Hobart, Cerberus, Arunta, Ballarat, Watson, Kuttabul (FIMA)

If you got the meaning of my post the spelling was close enough!

I may own a Ute, but don't expect me to help you move.

Kittbagg on Redbubble

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:57 am 
Div. Vice Captain

City or Town: Tweed Heads
State: NSW
Sorry guys. Born in December 1967. Too young to enjoy the miniskirt generation. Although the younger girls these days are going along way towards wearing very little. Too young before, too old now.(for the young ones)

GE58 HMAS Cerberus
July 1989- July 1995
HMAS Watson, HMAS Brisbane, HMAS Kuttabul(FIMA-SH), HMAS Watson

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57  Next