Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:05 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
State: NSW
From George Hicks photos you could tell it was a family day (extra liferaft containers on the flightdeck).

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
=; You may be familiar with George's work Brian, :happy3: he's a prolific photographer of :salute1: all things NAVY/ Dockyards, etc., :captain: he certainly makes my job easier...! :yess:

:prayer: Sorry I didn't get around to my debrief today, :evil3: tomorrow for sure... :notworthy: In the meantime, enjoy this :type: 12 second contribution to the day by three RAAF Hawks... :omg1: :yess:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:24 pm 
Div. Officer

George has been a shining light in maintaining and offering Dockyard history. Was it my imagination or was the bridge on the AWD much smaller (narrower?) than previous ships?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

George sure gets around, Brian, I don't know if you spotted this pic :happy3: of HMAS Brisbane (II) posted on the
HMAS Nirimba RANATE Facebook page, by Rod Martin, 5 days ago, from an original post by Gary Perrin...
:evil3:

Philippines. March-April 1969. At the US Naval Base Subic Bay, crew of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) guided
missile destroyer HMAS Brisbane (D41) line the deck of the ship as it relieves HMAS Perth (D38) for duty in
Vietnamese waters. The Brisbane will be serving with the US Seventh Fleet on the gunline... Photo by Naval
Airman Photographer (NAPHOT) George Hicks RAN.
[AWM NAVYM0290/11] (George took that 52 years ago...!) :omg1:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:47 am 
Div. Officer

Excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

ATTENTION FORMER STEEL CAT :cat1: CREW IN BRISBANE/ QUEENSLAND/ GOLD COAST, ETC...

From: navy-stokers@googlegroups.com <navy-stokers@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of KK
Sent: Tuesday, 8 June 2021 8:38 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: NAVY-STOKERS Custodians of the Golden Rivet:[21209] Visit to Brisbane by DDG41

G'day All,

HMAS BRISBANE will be visiting the Port of Brisbane on 25/26/27/ & Monday 28 of June.

The ship is opening it's gangway on Monday 28th to former crew of the STEELCAT for a visit, this visit is for former crew only.

I know it is short notice but I need the names of those who would like to avail themselves of this invitation, & I need them by tomorrow night 9/6/2021 6PM

Regards
Kerry Kerr
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "NAVY STOKERS."
To post to this group, send email to navy-stokers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
navy-stokers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Australian War Memorial Request - DDG Associations

Good morning Gents,

I contacted you some months back regarding the Australian War Memorial redevelopment of the HMAS Brisbane Bridge exhibition. If you recall my name is Andy Schroder, I served as an OOW in Perth (SBLT 1991 undertraining) and Brisbane (LEUT 1997-98). Today I am ‘out’ but am undertaking a Navy Reserve Role with the Sea Power Centre-Australia as the Australian War Memorial Navy Fellow. I am seconded to the AWM for the $498M Development Project....part of which is upgrading the existing HMAS Brisbane Bridge exhibit with the intention of including more information about all three DDGs, the personnel who sailed in them and the operations they undertook.
The purpose of this message is to provide some background information and also to ask you to reach out to your members/association seeking volunteers to be part of the new exhibition.

Right now, the HMAS Brisbane exhibit mostly tells the story of Brisbane on the Gunline in Vietnam as well as on planeguard duty during the First Gulf War. That story is important and will continue to be included but I have been at pains to have the Gallery Development Teams understand that the three ships did much more than deploying to these two conflicts. I have managed to convince the Gallery Development folks that a valuable second part to the display should be the stories of all those personnel who make the ship function on a daily basis (the stokers, stewards, cooks, medics, storbies, greenies, dibbies, chippies, OOW, boxpackers, RPs, ROs, UWs, Coxns, bunting tossers etc). The idea is to paint the picture that the ship is a community and that it is not just the bridge and ops room teams that contribute to fighting the ship.....it takes all 330-odd personnel to achieve the end game.

To achieve this the AWM is planning on presenting a ‘cut-away’ line-drawing (much like those from the Damage Control Board) of the ship on a large interactive screen (approx. 5m x 3m) so that it is possible to see all (most) of the compartments within the ship. People visiting the exhibit would be invited to ‘touch’ a compartment on the screen and an image of a person who worked/lived there would pop up and then start into a brief interview with that person. The interview would describe what the sailor/officer did in the ship on a daily basis...they may also want to include an interesting anecdote (perhaps a recollection of something that happened that was amusing, a port visit, ops with other ships, a highlight of their career in DDGs etc etc etc).Clearly, such anecdotes would need to be suitable for a conservative audience!

Obviously, AWM will need to source a bunch of DDG personnel who are willing to be interviewed and who would be comfortable in front of a camera briefly explaining their role on board etc. It would also be excellent if the volunteers had a picture of themselves, preferably in uniform, onboard whichever DDG they served…..that may be the picture that ‘Pops-up’ on the interactive screen within the exhibit (and they would be immortalised within the AWM)!

Once AWM has a list of volunteers, across as many different ranks and categories as possible, we will look at making an initial contact with them to discuss with each person what we have in mind to enable them to shape the types of information they would like to share. We would then make arrangements to conduct a recorded interview; this may be a team visiting the individual and recording an interview or it may be a 'zoom' online type interview (much like what we often see on TV during the nightly news). The exact method of conducting the interview has not been determined just yet but will most likely be advised when AWM makes contact with the volunteers.

May I ask you to reach out to your members/association seeking volunteers to be part of the new exhibition. We are looking for all ranks and all rates from the life of all three DDGs commission. For those who would like to be interviewed they can express their interest by emailing or phoning me on the following:

Email: :type: Andrew.schroder@awm.gov.au
Mob: :mobile: 0400 801 824
Should you need additional information before approaching your members please feel free to contact me using the same details.
We are hoping to have a sizeable list of volunteers by the end of November 2021.

I look forward to working with you to ensure all three DDGs are well represented in this section of the AWM's redevelopment of the HMAS Brisbane Bridge Exhibition which will tell the human story of these ships.

Aye

Andy

Andy Schroder
Commander RAN
Australian War Memorial Navy Fellow | Military History Section
:type: Andrew.schroder@awm.gov.au| t 02 6206 9828 | m 0400 801 824
Australian War Memorial | GPO Box 345 Canberra ACT 2601 | :type: http://www.awm.gov.au
Please Note: I am in the office Monday thru Thursday

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30