Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
:director: AHOY THERE…! :hi: Do you regularly post :type: links/ URLs to articles of interest :evil3: on RAN Skilled Hands…? Then this is for you… :ok:

Over time, it has become apparent that sharing externally sourced articles/ information is one of the more popular forms of posting on RAN Skilled Hands, yet until now, we’ve not
imposed any protocols for doing so. Some of our more prolific ‘naked URL’ posters, due to the sheer volume, (not unlike the ‘boy who cried wolf’,) risk readers dismissing/ ignoring
their links, thereby not having their posted contribution read at all, :puter: prompting reactions/ feedback like this: :evil3:

“I ignore most of the links, I feel it’s just lazy. On saying that, I don't particularly object, every now and again I find one interesting. Posters should give a brief summary of the link
though, or not post it at all. Maybe posters could be requested not to post links unless they briefly explain them.”

[-X Now we don’t want to discourage sharing those articles, but the point is not lost on us… =; What if we could ensure a greater readership along with clarity for our Members…? :-k

Posting a link/ URL to the article, accompanied with some basic info, (headline, author, source and a few sentences,) as opposed to posting a ‘naked URL’, or a partial ‘cut and paste’,
still saves space, yet it offers some protection from copyright/ plagiarism laws, and if the article headline, author, source and a relevant sentence, or two, are included, this not only
acknowledges the author/ source, it also gives the reader an opportunity to decide if it’s worth his/ her further attention.

If the article headline, author, source and the first sentence are included it enables a very effective Google search :type: in case the link is broken, or a PayWall :banghead: is encountered
and you want to search for a secondary (free) source for the article. :brick-wall:

The following :down: are the (newly) suggested protocols for sharing URLs…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example #1 (basic, using URL):

ANALYSIS - N.Korea's bark may be worse than bite in threat to shoot down U.S. bombers
MSN News/ Reuters
Christine Kim and David Brunnstrom
28th September 2017

North Korea has threatened to shoot down U.S. bombers flying near the Korean peninsula, but it would have difficulty
matching its words with action given aging air defense systems mostly dating to the Cold War, military experts said.
:type: http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/ana ... id=ieslice
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example #2 (advanced, using Hyperlink):

:type: ANALYSIS - N.Korea's bark may be worse than bite in threat to shoot down U.S. bombers
MSN News/ Reuters
Christine Kim and David Brunnstrom
28th September 2017

North Korea has threatened to shoot down U.S. bombers flying near the Korean peninsula, but it would have difficulty
matching its words with action given aging air defense systems mostly dating to the Cold War, military experts said.

=; And finally, if you’re in the habit of re-posting entire articles, including pictures/ videos, etc., because you already know it’s behind a PayWall, :banghead: we don’t necessarily wish to
discourage this practice, only PLEASE REMEMBER TO ADD THE FULL SOURCE DETAILS, AUTHOR, DATE, ETC., as well… :type: Happy posting…! :puter:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Perth
State: WA
Question for the Admins.

Do you think it may be time to delete the Nirimba 50th Section from the Main Page as it was 11 years ago :omg: and there hasn't been a post on it since 2006?
I mean I'm all for nostalgia, but that's taking it a little too far.... :roll: :roll:

Just Saying!!

31st MOBI Intake
July 71 to July 81
Nirimba, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, Parramatta, WRE, Yarra, Stalwart, Derwent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

It was left there more for historic purposes, Steve, but we'll review it in light of your observation... :3some:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Steve's suggestion has merit. :ok:

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
I agree, I have been contemplating its removal for a while.

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:52 pm 
Div. Officer

Gents,
Can we have a quick recap on posting a photo into an entry?
I recall having seen stuff in the past, but can't seem to find it now. :glasses8:

31st MOBI Intake
July 71 to July 81
Nirimba, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, WRE, Kuttabul, Parramatta, WRE, Yarra, Stalwart, Derwent.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

It was on the website, Steve, and I'm happy to put something together again, but not before the weekend, I've got a house inspection on which I must prioritise...

In the interim, if you have a photo or two that you want to add to a post, email it to me, (I've PM'd you with my e-mail address,) nominating which post you want it to appear in and I'll add it for you...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:11 pm 
Div. Officer

Thanks Rick!
(Got Captain's rounds coming??)

31st MOBI Intake
July 71 to July 81

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

:salute1: Ah yes, the joys of renting...! :sheeesh:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Re: Our Temporary Outage... :bash:
=; Our apologies, Guys, to those of you who tried to log in at some stage over the past 24 hours, only to find a message stating that we'd exceeded our bandwidth... :bugger:
(...bit too much traffic leading up to Christmas, I guess..!)

I put a call into the technicians (currently all on leave,) and left a message to see if we could bump it over the line, knowing that the worst case scenario, it was due to reset
itself automatically on the 1st (tomorrow) anyway... :-k

In case it didn't come back on line before then, I'd left a message for you all on the HMAS Nirimba Facebook page from 'The "A" Team' of RAN Skilled Hands, wishing everyone
a HAPPY NEW YEAR and to say that we were look forward to chatting again on the other side...

...but then... BINGO...! Our lovely 'Techno-Geeks' got must have got my message and have generously allowed us to 'reset' our bandwidth quota a day early :yess: and so we're
back on line again... :woohoo:

:thumbright: To our bandwidth providers... :prayer: THANKS GUYS, :notworthy: love your work, :bob light: HAPPY NEW YEAR...! :bob light:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> Announcements from the Administrators (Check this Forum each time you log in...!)  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next