Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:35 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
TALES FROM THE 2ND GET-TOGETHER

One of the things that stand out on the weekend was the Tricky Chippy's sympathy for others less fortunate. His wish to help various tourists (young/blonde/female) taking group photos was commendable.

As was his wish to invite a lonely old yank veteran over to our table for a drink. The fact that he was wearing a RED & WHITE COWBOY SHIRT on the MARDI GRAS WEEKEND escaped Tricky's warning radar.

Luckily, fate stepped in and the poor old chap's very effeminate companion minced back into the room and re-united with him.

Close call there, old mate..........

Cheers

CJ 8)

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:03 am 
Reg. Chief

City or Town:
State:
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I think why am I still toiling away doing nightshifts and missing out on cultural exchange events that have been planned down to the absolute last detail.

I really do appologise for missing out catching up with all you fine individual champions. Unfortunately when 0700 hours finaly arrived I am afraid all I was good for was the short drive home and collaps into bed.

When the next cultural Exchange event is organised I am taking leave! I am not goint to miss out again. Once again Rick, as Maxwell said " Sorry about that Chief!" :oops:

Charlie

23rd MOBI Intake
Jul 67 to 76
Nirimba, Sydney, Torrens, Paramatta, Kuttabul
Merchant- MV Howard Smith, MV SilverHawk
Vales Point Power Station, Eraring Power Station, Retired ill health.
Now???? Living it up in retirement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:38 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
O.K., O.K., very remiss of me not to put this report together earlier, but I’ve been putting out a few bushfires at work… :?

As SeeJay has reported, it was a great weekend, which for me, started on Friday night when I caught up with SeeJay and Shep at The Brooklyn and The Merchantile(Scroll back 7 posts if you want to revisit that one…!!!) :wink:

The only down side of the Smokey was the weather that SeeJay brought with him from Cairns, hot, humid, and at times torrential… :roll: Still those hardy souls who made it weren’t going to let a bit of moisture dampen their enthusiasm…! :D

We’ve actually re-named the day as The Inaugural RAN Skilled Hands Chippies Get-Together, because when we finally got around to sorting out the ‘players from the stayers’, ALL of the participants, as it turned out were from that ancient, respected and time honoured profession… Chippies…!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why are we consistently the social backbone of such events, you may well ask…? I would have thought it was obvious…
...we’re charming, gracious, reliable, entertaining, sociable, full of good humour and DAMN good looking…!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

L-R: Hippy Chippy, Roger F, Bobcat, SeeJay, Shep and Quickie...

Of course we now realise that all the Tiffies, Gazundas, Greenies, and other less prominent trade callings,
were all tied up with their prior commitments with the Gay Mardi Gras...! :roll: :evil: :roll: :evil: :roll: :evil: :roll:

SeeJay, of course was our ‘guest of honour’ who’d flown down specifically from Cairns for the event, Shep who’d come up from Nowra, Roger Fidler, who motored up from Goulburn, accompanied by ‘Bobcat’ (made an ‘honourary Chippy’ some time ago,) who’d driven from Canberra to connect up with Roger for the drive up to Sydney, Quickie from Balgowlah Heights (later joined by his wife Maxine, and two visiting Japanese students,) and of course myself, the Hippy Chippy, from Neutral Bay in Sydney… :D CHIPPIES ALL…!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
(Well…? Maxine’s married to a Chippy, and the Japanese students got stuck into a huge bowl of Chippies… not too long a bow to draw, is it…?) :roll:

With such a demonstration of commitment, to travel from parts of Australia as far as Cairns, EVEN TO FLY FROM JAPAN…! What can I say… it stood to reason we’d have a great time…! :D :D :D

Those on my side of the table got the bulk of the ‘eye-candy’, :shock: culminating with two beautiful blondes from Holland (with boyfriends, luckily,) elevated atop barstools directly behind SeeJay(who can now add a neck strain to the other ailments he’s still recovering from…!) :roll:

Bobcat stole the day, not only for her ‘surprise arrival’ with Roger, but by engaging the blondes and conversing in fluent Dutch…!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I obliged the Dutch group, by taking their photo for them, and they returned the favour by taking the group shot you see in the Main Photo Gallery under 2nd RAN Skilled Hands Sydney Smokey which you can access by clicking on this link:
http://www.ran-skilledhands.org/photoga ... p?album=23 8)

In summary, a GREAT venue, a GREAT meal, GREAT service, GREAT conversation and GREAT FRIENDS…! :P :P :P

Sunday was another Chippy event, when Chippy Ned joined SeeJay, Shep and myself, from Nowra, (via the wedding in Katoomba,) at ‘The Rockers’ (The Wooloomooloo Bay Hotel for you young blokes,) for yet another few hours of fun and frivolity, until we drove SeeJay to the airport to connect up with his flight back to ‘God’s own country’:P

With such an effort, made by so few, from so far away, were encouraged to persevere with our ‘schedule of smokeys’, in the belief that EVENTUALLY the local Members closer to Sydney will come to realize what a buzz it is to catch up with compatriots who, as SeeJay so aptly put it, ‘speak the same language, and despite differences in age or distance, have so much in common’… :D :D :D

Also, as my new job role demands, I’ll be provided with the opportunity to travel to other states for work from time to time, so I hope that we can organize to host a few more RAN Skilled Hands Smokeys in a few other states, albeit on short notice…!!! :P

Already, Ned and I are thinking that the next one should be in Canberra in a few months time…! :roll:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:51 pm 
Div. Chief

City or Town:
State:
Good to see Quickie has not changed in all the years since we last met.

SeeJay though, reminds me of the the karate master out of Karate Kid.....

July 1969 - July 1994
Nirimba, Penguin, Hobart, Stalwart, Kuttabul, Coonawarra (Reconstruction Team 76), Derwent, Cerberus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:02 pm 

:twisted: Ja ... ik kan Nederlands !!! Talk about your tall, blonde Dutch treats. I wonder where I missed out??? :? Must have been standing behind the door when they were handing out all those assets ... :cry: :cry: :cry: Pity they were heading back to Bali Rick ... you may have been "in" .... MAY that is .... :wink: :wink: :P :lol:

At any rate, it was a great day and nice to catch up with "old" faces and some new ones (Seejay), who I must say, was a lot quieter than I thought he would be, but that marked wit was definitely there. It was great to meet you and others I hadn't yet met.

Thanks to RogerF for bringing me along from Goulburn which was a rather "racey" trip at times and had me in white knuckle territory until my mind was eased (a bit), when he infoed me that he had done an advanced driving course. Perhaps you were practicing for the Grand Prix Roger?? :shock: :shock: Also thanks for "keeping mum" so we could surprise everyone. Your company and kindnesss was appreciated ... one of nature's gentlemen.

I note that Canberra seems to have been nominated as the next venue. Well Rick and Ned, I shall get the ball rolling and see what we can come up with in perhaps May, before the winter well and truly sets in (brrrrrr).

Congrats on your promo Rick and you will no doubt enjoy jetting around to various places and catching up with old faces.

Once again, an enjoyable (albeit short) day. I await my certificate.

Cheers!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Bobcat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:39 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
Great to see you all had a good time. I wish I could have been there but I'm not going to go into detail about the weekend I had. I couldn't even get away on Sunday for the recovery smokey. Sorry I didn't get to meet you Chris - I was looking forward to that.

If I'd known what the weekend had in store for me I wouldn't have bothered going through all the angst I did and would have just come out with you guys. There are some people who really make me question why I bother - I'm sure you've all expereinced this.

Anyway here's hoping I can make Canberra.

- Richard M Nixon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds grim, Paul. There will be a 'next time' though. By then I'll be able to drink much more that I could this time........

Cheers

CJ

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:43 am 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
Great reading about the reunion and so pleased you could make it Liz....what a surprise that must have been for the rest of them.

Rick, agree about the locals, seems the out of towners don't mind travelling the distance, noticed that at a few reunions I have been to.

Gee CJ, you quiet......are they sure that it was you there and not some double :lol: :lol: :lol: Must admit though guys, he was pretty quiet when he was in hospital too.....the pain to laugh was just a bit much :cry: :cry:
Glad you had a good time CJ.

Hey I want to know who the guy is on the RH side behind you guy up at the bar the one with the black shirt on.....was he with the Dutch girls???? :lol:

See you have already got plans for the next one.

Cheers

Jude

Cerberus, Harman (Navy Office 62/63-64), Penguin (Rushcutter Recruiting), Penguin (Kuttabul Navy News)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:09 am 
Site Admin

I just read Stretch's post (dunno how I missed it before). You'll get yours, sunshine!

Mr. Miyagi indeed!

And Jude, just like a fickle femme to overlook the chocolate cake and go for the cherry on top....

Cheers

CJ

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 am 
Div. Chief

City or Town:
State:
Ah, Chris,

Twas a complement!!

Mr Miyagi was a great teacher and warrior. Remember, he could walk on rice paper without leaving footprint!

Cheers,

July 1969 - July 1994
Nirimba, Penguin, Hobart, Stalwart, Kuttabul, Coonawarra (Reconstruction Team 76), Derwent, Cerberus

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> Reunions, Smokeys, Banyans and Get Togethers  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next