Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
=; And speaking of Bells, (below) to kick off our weekend, starting with the 'Basin Trials' :tchin: in Bells Hotel, Woolloomooloo, Friday afternoon (joined shortly afterwards by Dave Maxwell,) are (L-R)...
Pete (Red) Williamson, Helen Williamson, Ellen Kelly, Rick (Hippy Chippy) Pengilly, Col Kelson, Denise Cocks, Polly Shepherd, John (Chippy Ned) Kelly, Steve (Shep) Shepherd, Brian (Charlie) Staples...

:-k I'm sure there'll be a number of candid pics sent to me for posting, but in the meantime, to add to our gallery, the traditional Harbour View Hotel 'family shot' under Sydney Harbour Bridge's famed arches...

As expected, due mainly to Covid sign a somewhat smaller (but still happy,) group of 13 this year, :3some: :3some: :hello2: :3some: :3some: we have (L to R:) Col (Pussasan) Kelson, Pete (Red) Williamson, John (Ned)
Kelly
, Helen Williamson, Polly Shepherd, Denise Cocks, Steve (Shep) Shepherd, Dave Maxwell, Rick (Tricky) Pengilly, Mark (Mobes) Mobley, Ellen Kelly, Brian (Stroppy) Mackenzie, Brian (Charlie) Staples...

Now, if something caught your eye in the 'family pic' above, :laughing3: it might be that a number of participants are wearing the same clobber... :omg1: Yes, at great effort and expense (and not just a little persuasion,)
:pirate: "The Pirates of the Central Coast" :pirate: arrived for Saturday's 18th Annual RAN Skilled Hands Sydney Rocks Xmas Pub Crawl Smokey, resplendent in their matching Pirate shirts,
imported all the way from Hong Kong, specifically for the occasion...!!! :yess: After overcoming initial resistance, all five of us were delighted with the barrage of response we all received :yess: as we wove our
way through the gathered throngs at The Rocks, with offers to buy the shirts off our backs, and being repeatedly recognised and acknowledged by various groups of people as we move from pub to pub...! \:D/
Not only a great success :shithot: but a lot of fun, setting a new benchmark/ challenge for others (Southerners ? :mex: Mexicans ? :mex1: Westerners :bat 6: maybe ?) :dontknow: for the next run...! :woohoo:

:pirate: "The Pirates of the Central Coast", :pirate: awaiting lunch at "The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel" comprised the following: (L to R) "The Budgewoi Buccaneers" :pirate: Helen and Pete Williamson,
...................."The Buxom Barbary of Buttaba" :pirate: Denise Cocks, "The Lake Munmorah Marauder" :pirate: Rick Pengilly and "The Rathmines Renegade" :pirate: Charlie Staples...

=; I reckon, from the number of admiring comments said to us from passers-by, the masses assumed there were :pirate: at least 30 of us :pirate: roaming The Rocks on the day...!!! :yea: :finga: :badgrin: :lol1: :badgrin: :happy2:
At $25.00 apiece, incl. shipping from HK... Image ...I've gotta say, the shirts were a HUGE hit... :yess:
............................................................ ...in particular I love the attention to detail where :laughing3: the printed images overlap the button area...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

:-$ After raiding Ellen's and Polly's Facebook pages, :hiding: I've collected another 20+ candid snaps :happy3: I'll post later this afternoon... :yess:

=; BTW, we were supposed to be wearing the Pirate :pirate: shirt below, :down: and I ordered one 'on spec', but the back print was the same as the front (if you scroll back up, :laughing3: I actually wore it to Bells,)
and as they couldn't guarantee the rest would be any different, :bugger: I got a credit on the one I bought and swapped to the ones we all wore on the day... :pirate: (Maybe I can get 'em for next year...!) :yess:

Image :yess:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:32 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Waikiki
State: WA
Nice work Rick.....yes I am just a teensy bit envious.

Jan'65 Leeuwin Intake (10th) - Jan'66 Nirimba Intake (20th)
Jan'65 to Mar '88
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Stalwart, Samarai, Lae, Penguin, Curlew, Buccaneer, Navy Office, Barbette, Cairns, RANTTU (based in Port Moresby), Stirling, Bunbury.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

:happy: There's always next year, Smiley, I'm hopeful of seeing a couple of 'Westerners' :bat 6: from over your way... :yess:

=; Meanwhile, sorry 'bout the delay, the events of the weekend caught up with me... :sleep: ...but here's the pics :happy3: from Ellen Kelly and Polly Shepherd I promised yesterday... :evil3:

Here's a trio :3some: Ellen and John Kelly, along with Steve Shepherd 'flipping the finger' :upy: outside the old Finger Wharf, on their arrival for Friday's 'Basin Trials' :tchin: at Bells Hotel, directly opposite...

:-k Well at least Ned and Shep seem happy to be there... Col, maybe notso much... :snap:

Here's Polly Shepherd's 'family pic' :happy3: of the Basin Trials participants, :down:
L-R: Pete and Helen Williamson, Ellen Kelly, Rick Pengilly, Col Kelson, Denise Cocks, John Kelly, Polly and Steve Shepherd... [-( Charlie Staples and Dave Maxwell temporarily missing in action... :obey: :obey:

And so, to the 'Main Event', arriving by train, bus, ferry and cab at Circular Quay :3some: :3some: :hello2: :3some: :3some: for the start of The 18th Annual RAN Skilled Hands Sydney Rocks Xmas Pub Crawl Smokey...

...commencing with a hearty breakfast :drink eat: at the City Edge 24/7 Restaurant at Circular Quay... :scran:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

...And on to Pub #1, the "Fortune of War", claiming to be Sydney's oldest, and the first thing we notice is that George St. has narrowed to a single lane, allowing pubs to erect 'beer gardens' out front... :yess:

As this Google Earth screen dump shows... :omg1:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

=; For subsequent Rocks Pubs en-route, refer to this updated Annual RAN Skilled Hands Sydney Rocks Xmas Pub Crawl Smokey 3D Mud Map... :evil3:
:-k It reflects a few venue updates/ venue name changes, such as the City :drink eat: Extra starting point, (it was Jackson's on George,) the optional Argyle, and a name change
to the Munich Bauhaus (formally the Lowenbrau Keller). I may make further enhancements and artistic tweaks, but the route is now firmed up... :drink 42: Enjoy... :ouzo:

:evil3: P.S. We're told venue #3, "The Observer" was closed down before the first :20on20: round of Covid sign restrictions kicked in, so nobody's expecting it to re-open any time soon... :dontknow:

After "The Merchantile" we arrive at the "Harbour View Hotel" where on each of our previous Annual RAN Skilled Hands Sydney Rocks Xmas Pub Crawl Smokeys we have traditionally posed for the 'family pic'
of our participants... (Sadly, only 13 this year.) :3some: :3some: :hello2: :3some: :3some: This pic :happy3: was snapped on Polly Shepherd's camera... :happy:

=; You probably know who's who by now, but one last time, (L to R:) Col (Pussasan) Kelson, Pete (Red) Williamson, John (Ned) Kelly, Helen Williamson, Polly Shepherd, Denise Cocks, Steve (Shep) Shepherd,
Dave Maxwell, Rick (Tricky) Pengilly, Mark (Mobes) Mobley, Ellen Kelly, Brian (Stroppy) Mackenzie, Brian (Charlie) Staples...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

...Then it was on to the legendary "Hero of Waterloo"... Image ...a Pub of special significance to some... :roll:

...eventually arriving at "The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel", where Shep adheres to the regulation to wear masks to order from every bar, after firstly proving your Covid sign status on your mobile... :sheeesh:

Lunch at "The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel" I'm reminded that this historic Rocks landmark is up for sale, and Manger of 46 years, :omg1: Martin 'Marty' Longhurst reckons when the pub goes, he'll go too...! :obey:

There's few venues better suited to accommodating 20-plus MOBIs, Muppets and Missus on one table, and Marty has always steered my booking past Sonya the Food and Function Ogre over the last 18 years...

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

It was then on to "The Palisade", updated a few years ago after languishing abandoned for quite a few years, now offering great views over Barangaroo and The Rocks from its laid-back rooftop beer garden...

:-k I think Ellen can hear Sydney Harbour Bridge calling...!!! :yess:

Here's the pic I took of Barangaroo Saturday, taken from "The Palisade"... Image

On departing "The Palisade", in rapid succession was the "Captain Cook", then the "Australian Hotel"... Image
...followed by the "Glenmore", the "Munich Bauhaus" and the "Orient", but by then, be it exhaustion or whatever, nobody was taking any more pics...! :happy3: We actually returned to City Extra for dinner... :drink eat:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

=; Whilst, Pete and Helen Williamson, Denise Cocks and myself were happy having a relaxed Sunday breakfast :drink eat: at Cremorne Point Manor...

Image ...then a leisurely drive :driving: back to the NSW Central Coast...

...a quartet of raving lunatics :3some: :hello2: tried to prove they're 19 and bullet-proof, opting to follow up their Saturday 13-pub Rocks Pub Crawl with a leisurely stroll atop Sydney Harbour Bridge...! :pharque:

:faaaarrk: :idjit: S, all four of youse...! #-o All I could do was gape at the pics :happy3: in awe and wonderment :omg1: and :prayer: new-found respect :notworthy: as I recalled the sticker on my fridge which reads: :evil3:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
There's something to be said for a lack of hair, isn't there?

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> Reunions, Smokeys, Banyans and Get Togethers  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next