Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
:-k With all the uncertainty w.r.t. Covid sign and it's numerous variants, I was in a quandary at to what to do about this year's 2022 Annual RAN Skilled Hands Sydney Rocks Xmas Pub Crawl Smokey... :dontknow:

[-( When the State/ Federal Governments decided it was all too hard/ too expensive :roll: to keep track of infections, it was left to some sort of vague 'honour system' for individuals to report their own cases...
...which has obviously let the whole :shit: show get out of control, leading to reckless individuals not reporting their cases and certainly not quarantining, nor wearing masks or social distancing, resulting
in the public only having hospital beds/ ICU stats to assess the extent of Omicron and it's variants as to whether they should restrict their own work/ social activities...

Added to that, the plethora of information/ mis-information regarding the transmissibility and the severity of the various variants, whether cases are in decline/ increase, are there more waves/ variants to
come, and if so, when..? Here's a link to the latest from the NSW Health Dept. re: :type: COVID-19 in NSW - up to 4:00PM 13th August (yesterday) for you to consider... :-k
Now that it's been determined that having caught Covid sign before offers no assurance that you won't catch it again, let alone pass it on to others, and that double vaccinated/ double boosted won't prevent
you from catching it/ passing it on, along with the fact that most of us fit into the 'danger zone' for prognosis, and that so-called 'long Covid' should be avoided if at all possible, I am left to ponder just how
responsible it would be of me/ us to proceed with the Pub Crawl..? :dontknow:

I'm guessing there'll be a huge surge of cases following events like 'Splendour In The Grass' and yesterday's 'Sydney to Surf' Fun (?) Run, etc., should I add to it by putting all of us at risk in November..? :dontknow:

Following the first enquiry I received from Dave Warren, (below) I started a small survey among some of our 'regulars' to see how others felt before I made a final decision and either deferred the 2022 Rocks
Run for 12 months, or went ahead with gathering numbers to reach a 'quorum' :3some: :3some: :hello2: :3some: :3some: whereby the Run may still be viable... :-k

The following are some of the e-mail exchanges I've had, prompting the POLL :laughing3: above... (I don't think there's anything too private in the e-mails, but I'll :prayer: apologise in advance :notworthy: if there is...) :givein:

--------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, 8 August 2022 2:27 PM
To: Rick Pengilly
Subject: Rocks Run 2022

Hi Rick,
Just had a look at the website and there seems to be no mention of a Rocks Run this November. Is one anticipated?
Cheers,
Dave W.

Sent: Tuesday, 9 August 2022 12:04 AM
To: 'D & D Warren'
Cc: Brian Staples; Chris O'Keefe; John Kelly; Mike Moore; Pete Williamson; Robin King; Steve Shepherd
Subject: RE: Rocks Run 2022

Thanks for asking, Dave, with all the under-reported Covid-19 variants running rife, being double-vaccinated/ double-boosted, even
having caught it before, doesn’t prevent acquiring it, nor passing it on to others, and that our bunch of septuagenarians are arguably
the most at risk, (who needs 'long Covid' when you can settle for dementia..?) I was about to suggest that we put it off for a year, but
before I announce it, what are your thoughts…?

Sent: Tuesday, 9 August 2022 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: Rocks Run 2022

Hi Rick,
I fully understand your, and indeed everyone’s reluctance to venture out still. I’m happy to give it a go so long as things keep improving.
Maybe have a quick survey of the regulars to get a consensus to see if there’s enough interest and make a decision after that.
I’m going to the Frisco Friday arvo/ night as my old boss and a fellow worker at Garden Is. are retiring. My first outing for over a year.
Cheers,
Dave W.

Sent: Tuesday, 9 August 2022 11:42 AM
Subject: RE: Rocks Run 2022

Hi Rick,

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now principally because of my wife's health which is ok, but her immune resistance is
compromised. I am still cautious and continue to wear a mask where space is compromised and am careful to maintain use of
sanitisers etc. Consequently although I will be traveling to Sydney and Port Macquarie at that time we will be able to maintain a
reasonably controlled environment without unduly increasing our risk exposure levels, but I am concerned that the exposure risk on the
run will be higher with an environment that will increase that risk, either consciously or subconsciously.

With all that in mind, I am afraid, that I must now consider myself an unlikely starter unless things change significantly.

Cheers

Mike

Sent: Saturday, 13 August 2022 1:10 PM
To: 'Rick Pengilly'
Subject: 2022 Pub Crawl

Ricky is there to be a 2022 Pub Crawl or is it cancelled due to extreme age?

Rgds

H

Henry Schubert

=; SO IN SUMMARY... If the results/ consensus of the POLL :laughing3: ABOVE determines that we should defer it for 12 months, so be it... :happy:

=; HOWEVER, if there are sufficient Members/ Partners (let's say, 10 starters,) :3some: :hello2: :3some: :3some: I'm willing to proceed with accommodation and restaurant bookings for those willing to put their
names on the list as attendees... :evil3:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:57 am 
Site Admin

I note that we already have a few who have ticked the "I would be happy to attend the 2022 ARANSHSRXPCS if it were to be held..." option, and as one of them was me, I'll kick off the Attendees List... :evil3:

..................................................... :evil3: Confirmed Attendees:

.......................................................... :happy: Rick 'Hippy Chippy' Pengilly
.......................................................... :happy: Henry 'Schubes' Schubert
.......................................................... :happy: Brian 'Charlie' Staples
.......................................................... :happy: Dave 'Rabbitoh' Warren
.......................................................... :happy: Col 'Pussasan' Kelson

..................................................... :evil3: Unable to Participate: (this time...)

.......................................................... [-( Graeme 'Smiley' Rhodes
.......................................................... [-( John 'Chippy Ned' Kelly*
.......................................................... [-( Ellen 'Mrs Chippy Ned' Kelly*

* Whilst Ned and Ellen had planned to attend, they advise, as they're flying to the Middle East the following day, they couldn't risk contracting Covid sign and getting stranded in isolation :drunken: in Egypt... :dark:

After you select one of the options in the POLL :laughing3: above, =; please post your intentions below :down: either intending Attendee, or Non-Participant and I'll add you to the Lists :evil3: above... :up:
...remember, we only need 10 or more and it's a GOER...!!! :3some: :hello2: :3some: :3some: :tchin: :ouzo: :drink 29: :drinkers: :wine: :occasion5: :cocktail: :drink 42: :partyman: :drink eat:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:41 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Waikiki
State: WA
Just can not get there this year anyway but would be and is on my radar for 2023.

Jan'65 Leeuwin Intake (10th) - Jan'66 Nirimba Intake (20th)
Jan'65 to Mar '88
Leeuwin, Nirimba, Stalwart, Samarai, Lae, Penguin, Curlew, Buccaneer, Navy Office, Barbette, Cairns, RANTTU (based in Port Moresby), Stirling, Bunbury.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:27 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tura Beach
I'm in :cock:

17th MOBI Intake
July 64 - July 85
Nirimba x 2, Sydney, Lonsdale x 3, Tarangau, Melbourne, Coonawarra, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Jervis Bay, Penguin, Tonga Defence Cooperation, Cerberus Hobart, Harman.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

:-k I know you'll get back over here eventually, Smiley... :yess: And I'll be delighted to catch up with you again Henry...! :shithot: :woohoo: I've added you both to the respective lists :evil3: above... :laughing3:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

=; Brian 'Charlie' Staples just told me it's in his diary, :yess: I've added Charlie to our List... :evil3: Based on his e-mail reply in my initial post above, :laughing3: I've added Dave 'Rabbitoh' Warren to the list as well... :evil3:

=; Assuming that we'll get to our 'quorum' of 10 starters, the usual arrangements :evil3: will apply, i.e., first Saturday (5th) in November, kicking off with breakfast at 0930 at City Extra, Circular Quay... :drink eat:

:bob dark: :bob dark: :bob dark: :bob dark: Image :bob dark: :bob dark: :bob dark: :bob dark:

=; O.K., I know it's 2022 and technically, if we go ahead, it'll be the 19th :laughing3: Annual RAN Skilled Hands Sydney Rocks Xmas Pub Crawl Smokey, and The Observer's still closed, but you get the picture... :yess:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:50 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: St Marys
I have booked a room for the 4 and 5 November, so I guess I'm in eh?

17th MOBI intake (3 July 1964)
July'64 to July'76
Nirimba, Vampire, Vendetta, Stalwart (FMU), Kuttabul (FMP), Torrens, Melbourne (Carrier)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

:happy: Excellent Col, :shithot: I've added you to the 'Confirmed' :evil3: List... :laughing3: Look forward to catching up again... :3some:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:48 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Sheidow Park
State: SA
Rhonda and I have just contracted the dreaded COVID, so in isolation for the week. Luckily anti-virals are helping me cope.

Hopefully none of you old farts get it as a result of your partying, but if you do, make sure you’ve arranged to get anti-virals ASAP to minimise the impact on your frail, ancient bodies… :cat1: :omg: :finga: :finga:

Enjoy the run… :kenoath: :supz: :supz:

25th MOBI Intake
July 68 - June 88
Nirimba, Waratah (Dam Neck), Brisbane, Waratah (Mare Is & LBNSY), Harman (CDSC), Waratah (Mare Is), Brisbane, Harman (Navy Office & CDSC), Waratah (Dam Neck & Mare Is), Harman (CDSC)

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes age comes alone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:48 pm 
Div. Captain

City or Town:
State:
Hi Rick et al,
I've heard from Midge (Warren Midgely) that he, Pedro Lomas and Pedro's wife Vivien are interested in attending the RR this year. He is galavanting around the countryside at the moment and unable to log on to 'Skilled Hands'. When he can he will confirm. IF Vivien goes Denyse (Warren) MAY also attend for at least Lunch (and maybe more). That's another 4 'possibles' at the moment.
Will keep you posted if Midge can't contact direct

:mex: :love1: :yea: :cocktail: :love5: :drink 42:

14th MOBI Intake
Jan 1963 to Jan 1983
NIRIMBA, (63-66) CERBERUS, STUART, DUCHESS, CERBERUS, (67) CARPENTARIA, CERBERUS, (68-69) SWAN, (70-72) CERBERUS, (72-74) SWAN, TORRENS, (74-76) CERBERUS (77-79), TORRENS, (80-81) KUTTABUL, WATSON (82) [ROUGHLY]

Opportunity Knocks, Bunnies Bang!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> Reunions, Smokeys, Banyans and Get Togethers  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next