Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:20 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
I am absolutely stunned to be writing this.

It is with great sadness that I advise that Geoffrey Jameson, known as Jamo to all, and one of my classmates in the 19th Intake of Chippies, passed away early yesterday morning.

I do not know the details of his passing or his funeral as yet, but I'll post them as soon as they come to hand.

Jamo and I shared a cabin for some time at Nirimba, as well as a few postings. He was well into the Navy Rugby scene, and certainly had the scars to prove it. Never backed away from a challenge or a blue, and I never met a bloke who was more dependable in tough circumstances. If he said he'd be there for you, he was.

Jamo lived in Brisbane last I heard, and was running oil drilling rigs in outback Queensland. He kept a fair bit to himself as some retired sailors do, and developed a liking for holidaying in France. There was a whole lot more to Jamo than what most people saw.

Vale Brother, may you have happiness, fair skies and following seas whereso'ere you journey.

And the occasional game of Rugby.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:23 am 

Aaah Cripes, CJ.......I remember Jamo well. A bit of a rogue, but a MOBI nonetheless. Bloody sad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town:
State:
Shocked to hear of young Jemo's passing.

Jemo was a larger than life character with a friendly nature. I spent many a day at Nirimba on "chooks" with him which didn't slow him down one bit. I ran into him at Carindale Shopping Centre (Brisbane) in the late 90's and had a coffee with him (must have been early in the day). He was then working on Oil and Gas rigs. My view then was that he hadn't changed, he was the same character we knew at Nirimba.

Sad to see one of us taken so young.

RIP Jemo

18th Mobi Intake Jan 65
10th Jan 65 to Jan 77
Nirimba, Sydney, Vendetta, Melbourne, Waterhen, Cairns, Stalwart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
My most vivid memories of Jamo were also of him is in a tin hat and brown webbing at Bonehead College,
but I remember him as a fun guy, a stirer full of tricks, with a healthy sense of humour... :lol:

I know we served together later, out in the fleet, because I remember getting on the turps with him,
I'm thinking it was at Tarangau... :-k

A thoroughly likeable rogue, definitely taken too young... [-(

Rest on your oars Jamo, your journey's done... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:39 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tura Beach
State: NSW
Jamo, Was a great guy shared many a glass with him. He will be sadly missed. loved his rugby just can't beleive it.

17th MOBI Intake
July 64 - July 85
Nirimba x 2, Sydney, Lonsdale x 3, Tarangau, Melbourne, Coonawarra, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Jervis Bay, Penguin, Tonga Defence Cooperation, Cerberus Hobart, Harman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

You're right, Rick, Jamo spent at least one year in Tarangau, possibly two. Loved a cold beer on a hot day - and vice versa, and we spent more than a few crazy evenings jumping the Nirimba fence and bringing back various refreshments to the liberty-deprived still on board.

Henry, I'm still coming to grips with the news as well. Of all the blokes in my class, I honestly thought that Jamo would be the last of us to cross the bar - as opposed to the first.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:55 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Herne Hill
State: W.A.
Served on Stalwart with Jamo and Tug Wilson what a pair..! Lt Tubby Henessy was their prime target. I often wonder how they never sent him around the bend. Jamo's mimic of Tubby was so good, one time its been told that Tubby thought he was talking to himself and all it was Jamo was taking the piss...

Sorry to see you go, keep up your sense of humor in your new resting place, you will not be forgotten down here...

Viv

ME(D)-DENS-WOMTH4
1966 to 1986
Cerberus,Duchess,Waterhen,Hawk,Nirimba, Melbourne,Torrens,Perth, Leeuwin,Stalwart,Stirling,Kutabul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

Funny the things that pop into your mind.........

When Jamo and I shared a cabin in Hut 106, just for a stir one night we took a spin around the airstrip in a borrowed old 4-door MG of about 1948 vintage.

As you know, that was frowned upon by the Nazis up the hill but it didn't matter because the car's lights didn't work! :shock:

No problems says we, so he drove while I stood up through the sliding sunroof with a torch and navigated the way....... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

There was a young 2nd termer in the back by the name of Frank Wagner who had to warn us if he saw any car headlights. Frankie spent most of the time huddled on the seat praying we didn't end our days that night. :D :D

We chased rabbits, scared the crap out of the plovers that nested out there, and lots of questions were raised next day by the gardeners about all the tyre tracks all over the grass. :D :D :D

And apparently the greenies were also cranky about all the 'agitated' plovers who attacked them on their way to class over the other side of the airstrip! :wink:

Now you know why! :D :D :D :D :D

Onya Jamo! We had some great laughs old mate.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:30 am 
Site Admin

More memories from Mick Thompson...........

Chris,

Read your last story of your and Geoffery's games at Nirimba and wondered where I was as I do when others relay their stories.

Here is one you can use.

Sunday morning, Bligh Division, Hut 103.

Geoffery asks me to snap the padlock on his cabin door as I go to Church Service. Duty Chief, Phil Cross, newly appointed NS1 spends half an hour rapping on Geoffery's door. Open up Geoffery I know you are in there.

Everything returns to normal and Geoffery goes over the fence and attends Penrith home ground to watch the game of the day. TV coverage camera pans the crowd and front and centre GPC.

Phil has completed his tour of duty and sits back to watch the match of the day, televised after the evening news in those days, front and centre GPC, Philp slams his newly appointed Chiefs Cap on his head and storms the blocks.

Gottcha now Geoffery, ......... What do you mean Chief?

Geoffery is sitting the middle of his cabin with a Newtons Warship Construction Manual in front of him.

No video replay in those days.

Second Story:

After a heavy night,, JC Craig, Freddie Care and others Geoffery is to ill to work. Between him and I he kips in the coat locker in 2FA, a tomb about three square and five feet long, agreement is I check every hour to ensure he has enough air.

He survives the day and is going ashore about 1700 and Swannie is there waiting for him. I knew you were onboard and I am running you in for being absent from place of duty.
Fair cop Sir, I've been working part of ship all day.

Swannie, That must be why I have missed you.

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:03 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
This is getting close to home.

Shared many an ale with Jamo on many runs both at Nirimba and on Stalwart. Great memories a very likeable larrikin who loved his rugby and from what I remember lived his life with the way he played, full on"!

Taken far too young.

Fair winds and calm seas where ever you may be Jamo, (but I am sure you will manage to stir up a little turbulence and fun as you pass).

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next