Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
State: NSW
I was advised via a forwarded e-mail yesterday, that CMDR Tony Hughes - 8th MOBI Intake, January, 1960 was in paliative care in hospital...

This was the e-mail I received yesterday...
:evil3:

Dear All,

It is with a sad heart that I must report on our member Tony Hughes, WEEO, raconteur and all round good guy.

Tony is currently in Murdoch St John of God’s Hospital in Murdoch Western Australia.

He is suffering from acute emphysema, has slipped into an unconscious state and is not expected to survive past the next 24 hours.

I was in the town of Denmark, about 60kms from Albany, when I heard of his hospitalisation.

A short email to Dennis Gilmore, Bill Ritchie and Jeff Wake saw each of them visit Tony as best they could.

Jeff Wake is supporting Anna, Tony’s wife, to guide her through the DVA and Legacy processes.

I managed to return from Denmark today and visited Tony early this evening.

Anna and many of Tony’s extended family were present.

Whilst they all understand the gravity of Tony’s situation each holds out hope of some form of recovery.

I will continue to visit Tony as long as possible and to maintain support to Anna when and where ever it is needed and I know that many of the NOC WA members will be doing likewise.

I will also keep the lines of communication open for as long as is necessary.

Sadly, Yours aye

Bob Mummery (8th MOBI Intake)

Seeking clarification, I received the following this morning, from Bob Dunlop (13th MOBI Intake):

Hi Rick,

Tony was a 1960 entry, same year as Bob Mummery. I have just been informed he passed away at 0610 this morning Monday 25th February 2013.

I met up with Tony via Stirling and camping, spent some great evenings with him and his wife Anna in Cape Range National Park.

We also used to meet up with Tony for lunch with other West Aussies from Stirling, really nice bloke and will be missed.

Most of the guys who commissioned would know Tony, he spent some time on subs, he was a WEEO.

Fred Butcher and the other submariners should be informed, you have the lists. I will get back to you when I know funeral details.

Robert and Paulette Dunlop

Our sincere sympathy to Tony's wife, Anna and family... Rest on your oars, Tony your journey is done... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:25 pm 

Yes.....another good guy. So sad. Knew him from my days with Transfield Shipbuilding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:23 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
Always sad to hear about loosing another member of our MOBI clan.

RIP Tony.

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:15 am 
Div. P.O.

City or Town: Redland Bay
State: Queensland
How very sad to learn of Tony's passing. He was the WEEO in Vampire circa 1979/80 and the best WEEO I have ever worked for. He convinced me to try for SD and raised my papers. He used to always say to me "I'm an ex-OA you know, I don't understand that squiggly amp stuff you "C" Rates play with". He never fooled me for a minute. He was a lot smarter than he let on and he along with Ted Powell ran a great Department. A thorough gentleman.
Only the good die young. He was taken far too early.

RIP Tony.

26th MOBI intake
Jan 1969 to Feb 1989
Melbourne, Stalwart, Torrens, Vendetta, Vampire, Cook.
Estabs: Nirimba, Cerberus, Harman x 2, Coonawarra x 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:36 pm 
Div. P.O.

City or Town: Hervey Bay
State: QLD
Vale Tony, one of the best WEEO's in pussers along with the late Max Schaeffer, both ex OAs.

Fond memories at Stirling just after commisioning, one of the good guys taken too soon.

Condolences to his family.

18th MOBI Intake
Jan 65 to Jan 86
HMAS Nirimba (4yrs), HMAS Hobart (5yrs), RANTAU (2yrs), HMAS Stalwart (2yrs), HMAS Perth (2yrs), HMAS Stirling (2yrs), Navy Office (3yrs), HMAS Stirling (1yr). Civilian Engineering and construction (24yrs), Pensioner since 2010.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Clippings on Tony's funeral... :evil3:
ImageImage

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

#-o Ooooops...! :oopssign: :bugger:

:-k So if I understand correctly, it's not the [-( 8th MOBI Intake Tony Hughes who joined with Bob Mummery, et al, in January 1960,
but 5th MOBI Intake Tony Hughes, who joined with Mick Brain, et al, in July 1958...! #-o (I hope I've got it right this time, Kip...!) :oops:

:roll: Our profound apologies :notworthy: to Tony (the former) for any inconvenience this misunderstanding may have caused, our sympathies
to the family of Tony (the latter) on his sad passing... [-o<

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:40 pm 
Sprog

City or Town: Creswick
State: VIC
Just to clear this up, the Hughes who joined with us in Jan 60 was Tom Hughes.

Ex - LEUT SDEN(WE)
Jan 60 to Jan 81
Nirimba, Duchess, Perth, Yarra, Parramatta, Melbourne, Stalwart, Swan, Waterhen, Tarangau, Kuttabul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for clearing that up Alan, :oops: miscommunication all around... #-o Our apologies to Tom... #-o

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> A Farewell to those with whom we served...  [ 9 posts ]