Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: St Georges Basin
State: NSW
I have started this topic to provide information to Skilled Hands members, regarding the ongoing efforts of a guy called John Graham, to have serving and ex-serving members of the defence forces kept up to date with matters that affect / have affected their superannuation entitlements.

He has started a website that enables you to register and receive updates about the strategies and methods being suggested to get politicians on side, with a view to changing legislation to benefit all superannuants.

I joined the website and as a member, received the message below.

His website address is: http://www.militarysuperannuation.for-o ... /index.php

Dear friends and ESO/ Association Leaders,

I feel we have to reorganize the manner in which we have to tackle politicians on all matters of concern, but particularly on our concerns with superannuation matters. Writing letters and logically argued papers has not worked. Politicians have no shame. Our fight cannot be won in a court of law; the government has broken no law.
The various governments , since 1973, have been guilty of deceit, lack of transparency and a lack of an ethical backbone. This battle is a political one, not legal.

We have been told for many years that indexation above CPI cannot be afforded. Is it not strange that money , much more than needed for our indexation, has been found for the introduction of parental leave to be introduced in 2011? A smart move to capture the womens' vote.

The Enemy Within
There is great apathy in the ex-service community. Really the majority want others to act for them without any personal contribution from themselves, as individuals. What can we do to get the everyday ex-servicemen more involved?

The New Brooms
We have a new team in the Defence portfolios and Superannuation. Warren Snowden did nothing in his 18 months. He was ineffective, uninterested and lazy; we are well rid of him. I also think it was a good thing for us that superannuation was taken away from Nick Sherry. He does not like servicemen/ex-servicemen.

We have to educate the new people and convince them that our causes are just; that we are not after advantage, but equity with the community.Both parties need to be convinced that we are a credible voting block that can make a difference at the next election.

The new team is deeply involved in distracting political matters at present, so we are not likely to get any reaction at the moment. Greg Combet's principle job at the moment is to assist Penny Wong get the carbon emissions control legislation through.

When I contact Greg Combet I will be appealing to him to act as he would have for the unions in his ACTU position. He would have never agreed for his union members being treated on superannuation as the various governments have treated servicemen/women. I think we have a very impressive argument for him in the matter of reversion , more so than indexation. I believe that indexation is our most important consideration, but think reversion is the matter that will strike home with him if he has any conscience. You might feel I am being naive in this approach, but I feel we should allow the man to show his colours.

A Petition
I have started to move on preparing a paper petition on the matter of indexation. I am intending that it is done in accordance with parliamentary rules. The intent is really to show the support we have; to force the two parties to take us seriously. To succeed we have to have at least a minimum of 500,000 signatures. With the help of ESOs and Associations this should not be difficult eg, if an association with 8000 members such as DFWA managed to have each member obtain ten signatures of family and sympathetic friends it would put in a contribution of 80,00 signatures. If the RSL were to co-operate we would achieve very great numbers through their extensive network of sub-branches and clubs. If we were to convince members of all campaigns since , and including WW2, Reserve members, current servicemen/women and sympathetic associate members, the numbers would be very large indeed.

About six weeks ago I wrote to all State Branch secretaries explaining the idea and requesting their blessing for me to contact their sub-branches direct. The details of all sub-branch Office Holders and contact details are already in the public arena; they are all listed on the National RSL website. My letters to State Branches were an exercise in good manners and to win support. I feel I have gone the right way in contacting them on the basis of a recent statement that the RSL is a federation.

I have had no response from Qld, Victoria or Tasmania. The responses from WA, SA and NSW are attached. I have responded to each of them, and hope to receive more positive responses. I have undertaken to carry out this task myself as the paperwork has to be directed to an address where it can be collated for presentation. I will be asking for a volunteer to take over the task should some untoward event prevent me from completing the task. I would particularly hear responses on this action. Should not good support be forthcoming I would not carry on with this very large task.

Sympathetic Politicians

I have written to every politician, in the year or so before the last federal election, explaining our concerns in an Executive Summary manner. In most cases getting a ' brush off ' letter. From the Howard Government it was Bruce Billson's standard letter, which you are all familiar with.

I seem to have Senator Barnaby Joyce on side; he has undertaken to ask questions in the Senate on our behalf. I must remind him of this undertaking as I have not heard him speak on our behalf yet.

I feel that Alan Griffin is the politician in Parliament with the greatest knowledge of our problems and sympathy for us. Unfortunately he is not responsible for Military Superannuation; the useless Warren was.
Alan Griffin still has the ear of the PM, as he oversees the PMAC and new forums on all matters of concern to the service community and communicates the deliberations of these forums to the PM. I suggest we continue to propose matters of our concern to these forums as well as the appropriate Minister.

The shadow minister for Veteran's Affairs seems to be onside. She recently made a speech in the Reps that was very supportive of us. I'm not so sure of the support we will get from Bob Baldwin. I have seen nothing from him. so far.

A welcome development is the establishment of a supportive web-site by Senator Kate Lundy. I am adding a link to her site on my Military Superannuation website. Senator Lundy's site URL is:

http://www.katelundy.com.au/2009/06/04/ ... -pensions/

For those who are not aware of my Military website, it is:

http://www.militarysuperannuation.for-o ... /index.php

I think we have to get a couple of politicians like Senators Xenaphon and Fielding to act as our champions. I am not at all fond of Fielding, but he and Senator Xenaphon have great influence over the government and opposition and I feel we should take advantage of their vanity. Perhaps we should even try Senator Bob Brown, though his party probably has an aversion to the Defence community.

Advice and Publicity

We have been unsuccessful in obtaining in getting national radio/ TV and newspapers to speak on our behalf. I believe that we have to find national figures who command the attention of the media to comment on our behalf. I am going to give this a try with Dick Smith. He is very loyal to all things Australian,and proud of veterans and the ADF. If he will see me I think we could be on a winner. Perhaps you could think of others. We need mentors who have influence with political commentators

Lack of Support from Two Star Retired Officers

Not one retired two star retired officer has publicly expressed any support for their former charges in the superannuation matters of concern.. I exclude those who are running ESOs from this statement There are some good commanders amongst them. What is stopping them returning some loyalty to their troops who were so loyal to them? Is it a matter of an 'I'm all right Jack' attitude. Is it that they just used their former troops to climb the greasy pole to the top, and just forgot after they passed the rank of LTCOL , or equivalent?

I think their lack of action is shameful. I feel it is time that associations put pressure on them to support their members and former charges.

We have only two one star people, other than those playing a prominent part in ESOs, putting their hands up in a very public manner in support of their former diggers'. These two are Brigadiers George Mansford and Neil Weekes, MC.

Conclusion.

Maybe some of the things I have suggested will seem radical to some and too conventional to others, but we can't afford to continue with our past lack of success. I hope this 'thinking aloud' will result in discourse between us leading to a combined approach. I would appreciate your comments and other ideas.

This email is going separately to the registered readers of the Military Superannuation website.

Please do not copy this email or your responses to any politician. That would be most unhelpful.

Regards,

John Graham

“…the first responsibility of government is the security of the nation. And it follows therefore that government has a particular responsibility towards those who have worn the nation's uniform. Because there is in my view no higher calling than to wear the uniform of Australia.”
Kevin Rudd 8th Sept 2008

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone,

I received the following e-mail regarding the "piss weak" indexing of DFRDB pensions, every little bit of effort by us helps to get the politicans to changs their minds.

Apparently people were having trouble downloading the letter to send to their MP's, so I have included a copy at the end of this post so you can copy and paste it into a word document on your computer and send it off to your local MP if you wish.

From: maryann martinek AUSTRALIAN SERVICES AND PERSONNEL \(mmASAP\)
Date: 10/01/2010 4:28:11 PM

Subject: New announcement: For the widest dissemination to DFRDB recipients

TO VIEW THE ATTACHMENTS YOU MUST VISIT THE FORUM AND DOWNLOAD THEM. (many thanks mmASAP)

----- Original Message -----
To: Ray Payne
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2010 12:50 PM
Subject: DFRDB Indexation (

For the widest dissemination to DFRDB recipients

The DFRDB issue is something I know little about, mainly because I’m not a recipient.

As you are all aware I do not use the Veteranweb network to push any barrows, I simply provide information. Unfortunately, a great deal of the comment that comes to me in the form of copies of emailed letters or statements to Members of Parliament on DFRDB Indexation, contain valueless rhetoric that for the most part is insulting or illogical. I know how I would react to these emails … I’d simply delete them and brand the writer as a dill.

MPs are only interested in hearing from and responding to their constituents. The best way to address the issue of DFRDB Indexation is to have a letter writing campaign by all of the recipients, that includes the widows of former ADF members. Letter writing, particularly to politicians, requires a special skill, something that most are not familiar with or confident in doing. The content must be … to the point, factual, firm but respectful.

I have attached a message from Brigadier Neil Weekes, AM, MC, (Rtd). Also attached are two form letters he provided … one for recipients of DFRDB and one for widows to send to their local Federal MP.

Some say form letters don’t work … believe me form letters to your local MP do work, because all letters must be logged and MPs do take notice of a large number of letters on a particular issue, they count up the votes and in marginal seats this is even more so.

Federal Parliament sits again for the Autumn session from the 2nd February 2010, the aim is to have a huge number of letters in the hands of local MPs prior to that date.

Open the form letter applicable to you and save it. Then delete the red type and insert the necessary information. Print and post to the office of your local Federal Member. DO NOT email the letter, spend 55c on your future and post it.. If you have a mate without a computer, maybe you could help him out by typing his details for him so that all he has to do is sign it.

The ball is now in your court, only you can work for a positive result … if you do nothing your mates probably will too and your situation will not improve.

Ray Payne OAM
Veteranweb Network
raypayne@veteranweb.asn.au

To unsubscribe from these announcements, login to the forum and uncheck "Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email." in your profile.

You can view the full announcement by following this link:

http://www..peeonastick.net.au/index.php?topic=320.0

Regards,
The maryann martinek AUSTRALIAN SERVICES AND PERSONNEL (mmASAP) Team.

The sample letter follows, Cheers Ned.

(Your Name & Address)

Date

(Address of your Federal Member----------------
--------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

Dear -----------------,

As you are aware, the ALP Government has recently endorsed the four recommendations of the Matthews Review into the indexation of Military and other Commonwealth Superannuation. This means that those on Military Superannuation pensions will remain disadvantaged by continuing to have their superannuation pensions indexed by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) - whereas Welfare and Age Pensions are indexed at a higher rate (the greater of CPI or Pensioner and Beneficiary Living Cost Index (PBLCI) or Male Total Average Weekly Earnings (MTAWE)) and pre-2004 MPs and High Court Judges pensions are wage-based indexed to the salaries of serving backbench MPs.

In the period 1989 to 2008 military superannuation pensions rose by 68%,
Age Pensions rose by 110% and those of retired MP’s rose by 131%!

The purpose of pension indexation is to maintain the purchasing power of our pension. Until 1997 CPI was considered the relevant index but the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) concluded that “the tight nexus between movements in the CPI and wage and salary adjustments no longer exists.” In 2001 ABS said that “…CPI is not a measure of the cost of living.”

In 1997 the Government acted to maintain the purchasing power of Age and other Welfare pensions by changing indexation to CPI or MTAWE whichever was the greater. More recently it included another index factor, the New Pensioner and Beneficiary Living Cost Index (PBLCI).

Nothing however has been done for Military Superannuants, even though a number of Senate inquiries have recommended a form of wage-based indexation be introduced. Unfortunately these recommendations were rejected by previous Coalition Governments. The Matthews Review recommended that the CPI should remain the basis of indexation for military superannuation pensions and Commonwealth Public Servants’ pensions. Not surprisingly the Government accepted this recommendation, with Minister Tanner stating, words to the effect that it would cost the Australian taxpayers too much to implement a higher indexation. The Chair of the recent ‘Senate Inquiry on the Effect of Cost of Living Increases on older Australians said that: “It is hard to explain to Commonwealth superannuants why their pensions, to which they contributed during their working life, should fall behind the pension increases of those who have generally not made provision for their retirement.” This includes DFDB/DFRDB superannuants.

Military retirement and disability pensions now stand out as being more harshly treated than almost every other long-term Commonwealth payment that is subject to regular indexing to maintain its value. The same formula used for Age/Service pensions should be adopted for all components of Military retirement pensions (DFRB/DFRDB/MSBS).
Table 7 of the Department of Finance and Deregulation’s (DOFD) submission to the Matthews Review of Indexation Arrangements in Australian Government Civilian and Military Superannuation Schemes indicates the gross budgetary costs before “claw back” (estimated to be in the range of 37– 58% by the National Centre for Economic and Social Modelling) due to consequent increased tax revenue and reduction of support payments to be as follows:

YEAR AMOUNT
2009-10 $1M
2010-11 $16M
2011-12 $36M
2012-14 $59M
2019-20 $255M

This “claw back” will be substantial as many military superannuants also receive the Service Pension. As their superannuation increases, the amount of Service Pension decreases. In addition many military superannuants will have passed on by 2019. Unfortunately Treasury has not extrapolated these figures but it is considered that the figure of $255 Million in 2019 – 2020 could be grossly exaggerated when these two factors are taken into account (claw back from Service Pensions and the decreasing number of recipients of superannuation [and Service Pension]). In any event it is a decreasing liability each year.

To me it appears incongruous that the Federal Government is reportedly spending some $680million, annually, on welfare payments to refugees and yet the Government seems immutable on the subject of improving the quality of life of its veterans and ex-ADF members, many of whom have served our Nation for 20 years or more! This amount is exponentially greater than the projected costs for introducing a higher indexation for military superannuants, as outlined above. This is morally and ethically wrong particularly as there are military superannuants who are living on an income that is below the Henderson Poverty Line.

I must emphasise that, while I have a great deal of empathy with Commonwealth Public Service pensioners and I would support any similar claim proposed by them, I believe that military superannuation must be considered separately from the Commonwealth Public Servants pensioners. Service in the ADF is unique and it must be treated that way. It is the military who use every firepower resource available to kill or capture the enemy. The military endure the greatest hardships and it is the military who give up their personal freedoms to carry out the Government’s orders. We must not contaminate the uniqueness of military service by including other non-military members or organisations. If the DFRDB superannuants are treated separately funds could be available to provide a higher benchmark for indexation.

My questions to you, -----------------, are as follows:

1. Are you aware of the Matthews Report and its recommendations?
2. What is your personal position on the Matthews’ recommendations which will see the further erosion of the purchasing power of military superannuation pensions? Do you agree, disagree or have no opinion on them?
3. Will you raise the indexation of military superannuation pensions in your party room and on the floor of the House of Representatives?
4. Do you support the proposal to introduce a higher benchmark for the indexation of DFDB/DFRDB superannuation?

I would appreciate your written responses to these questions.

I look forward to receiving your reply.

Yours sincerely,

(Sign your name)

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83
Nirimba x3 - Rushcutter - Sydney x2 (Carrier) - Melbourne (Carrier) - Penguin - Kuttabul - Creswell x3 - Stalwart x2 - Brisbane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:57 pm 

Everyone getting a DFRB/DFRDB pension MUST do this.......and get your families/friends to send of a letter as well. Just change the letter a little to reflect their position.

DO IT!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:22 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
Maybe it should read "what is your advisors personal position on..........." because I believe that MPs are not intelligent enough to have "personal opinions".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Further to my last post here is a link if you wish to sign an online petition, regarding the indexation of military superannuation.

http://www.gopetition.com/online/32989.html

John Kelly (WEBMASTER)
R42620
Ex-WOMTH
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'83

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:55 am 
Sprog

City or Town: Sussex
with indexation the main topic although I am not a DFRB/DRFDB recipient at ESO level we are asked questions re the effects of commutation and reduced pension etc. mainly these questions relate to blokes who have more than paid back the value of their commutation and want further info. i.e. can they redraw/reuse their commutation????? To talk to COMSUPER you have to have a member ID number or its just don't want to know you., and most sites like those referred to here are tottally focused on "indexation" issue.

any advice/leads etc would be appreciated

14TH MOBI Intake
1963-1975
NIRIMBA / MELBOURNE / SYDNEY / WATSON / DUCHESS / VENDETTA / CIVVY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
Sent: Thursday, 13 May 2010 1:50 PM
To: National Office
Subject: An Important Note to ESOs

DFWA Branches, other Ex Service Organizations and Others

(DFWA Branches please pass this to all members; All others please distribute widely)

On Monday night 17 May the ABC TV program Q & A will have Lindsay Tanner (Minister for Finance) and Joe Hockey (Opposition) forming the panel.

It provides us with the opportunity to put a question to the two heavies in both political parties about our Indexation issue. This is especially important with the election on the horizon.

It would therefore be useful to have as many people:

- post questions on the Q & A website :type: www.abc.net.au/qanda
- post questions by SMS
- “tweetâ€

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:06 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
Tony Jones and the ABC staff totally ignored all the proposed questions on military pensions. :x :x

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:22 am 

It is becoming apparent to me that the ABC is obeying its political masters and deliberately ignoring this vexed question.
On the Q & A website, most of the questions submitted were about DFRB/DFRDB super.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:13 pm 
Hut Senior

City or Town:
State:
Last night's Q&A program was advertised as being a budget special so it should come as no surprise that questions about military superannuation were ignored. I spent a bit of time formulating and submitting questions but didn't really expect to get any of them asked. My hope is that if enough questions were asked that the ABC might get interested enough to do something on the subject at some time in the future.

18th MOBI Intake
Jan 65 to Dec 79 and Aug 82 to Dec 89
Nirimba, Sydney, Perth, Stalwart, Melville, Cerberus (several times), Derwent, Torrens, Jervis Bay, Kuttabul, Stirling, Waterhen

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next