Links
Main Photo Gallery
Intake Photo Gallery
RAN SH Library

Who's Online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Google Search
Google

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: News of the day.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:02 am 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Schofields
State: NSW
Labor and the Greens will not entertain nuclear but Bangladesh and Bulgaria are happy to move to it https://world-nuclear.org/.../countries ... adesh.aspx
https://www.euractiv.com/.../bulgarias- ... uclear.../

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:10 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Lake Munmorah
=; Sadly, Brian, neither of those links :laughing3: load for me, [-( I'm getting a [-X "Page Not Found" #-o and a [-X "403 Forbidden" #-o respectively... :dontknow: :bugger:

However, searches on both subjects yielded the following YouTube clip plus an alternative info video for me... :tv:

:type: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOIhbBJxd38 ....................... ...and this: :type: https://www.ebrd.com/news/video/plasma- ... garia.html

Then there are these :evil3: pages/ articles from Wikipedia...

:type: List of Nuclear Power Stations as well as: :type: List of Commercial Nuclear Reactors ...and finally, for Australia to get a mention: :type: List of Nuclear Research Reactors
And for the full story on Australia's sad and sorry history on nuclear energy, read: :type: Nuclear Power in Australia...which brings me to my old home town of Radium Hill in S.A., :yess:
where: :type: Uranium Mining in Australia first began... :sleep1:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

:shit: It's St. Patrick's Day... Image ...for the benefit of 2 of our Webmasters :hi: :hi: who share this 'common' (as spuds) heritage... :irish:

.......................... [-X Don't look at me, [-( my heritage is :happy1: Cornish (as :licking: pasties)...!!! :yess: :yea: :finga: :badgrin: :lol1: :badgrin: :happy2: :haha:

:-k I did find it thought provoking when gazing out over vast/ spacious/ empty fields of green :glasses7: in a recent travelogue on the 'Emerald Isle', that if you add up all those claiming Irish heritage in USA,
Oz and other such beckoning/ irresistible 'lands of milk and honey', what Ireland would look like today if they'd all just stayed home and let the spud :licking: famine run it's natural course :confused: instead...! :happy2:

:happy: Here's to the Irish diaspora who survived around the world today... :type: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBG4wXpkJe4 :irish:

...................................................................................

Not everything out of Ireland was bad, remember this from 30 :omg1: years ago... :type: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAtkcHpSHCw :jig: Riverdance was introduced at Eurovision 1994...

...................................................................................

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74
HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Melbourne - HMAS Cerberus - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Lonsdale - HMAS Tarangau - HMAS Nirimba - HMAS Brisbane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:05 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:09 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
It's sad that an Aussie Aid worker has lost her life in Gaza conflict. These volunteers know what the risks are when going into the areas. There can be no guarantees for safety.

The same as war correspondents, doctors etc.

There was no uproar when civilians were killed when aid worker food/medical air drops went wrong!

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

BC wrote:
It's sad that an Aussie Aid worker has lost her life in Gaza conflict. These volunteers know what the risks are when going into the areas. There can be no guarantees for safety.

The same as war correspondents, doctors etc.

There was no uproar when civilians were killed when aid worker food/medical air drops went wrong!

:evil3: These are the latest (unverified) stats so far (since 7th October 2023): :type: Hostilities in the Gaza Strip :burkab: :thwhite: :burkaw: :thblack: and Israel - reported impact | Day #175 :sniper: :obey:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:33 am 
Site Admin

City or Town: Cairns
State: QLD
Well, no correct place to put this, so this topic seemed as good as any. :dontknow:

Now successfully back from the 'Around the world in 30 days' trip and all is well. As you may remember we planned to do a 'hop, stay and hop' trip by doing shorter flights to get to Scotland rather than a long-haul via any arab state & return the same way. So we did - and just as well as our return would have been via Dubai which had a huge flush put through it (sadly, the smelly bit remains).

So it was QANTAS to Sydney (almost a foreign city these days anyway), then Qantas to Honolulu.

Summary is: QANTAS ain't what it used to be and in our opinion (and many others) it hovers around Jetstar status. The A 330 is the noisiest plane I've ever travelled in other than a DC3 flight in 1962.

Honolulu and Oahu are still worth visiting, but with some of the charm of the 60's & 70's gone. In fact since 2015 it's also lost a bit of gloss, but seems to be trying to improve. We stayed again at Ohana East Waikiki and it's being revamped - as are quite a few others. Problem was, being in one of the revamped rooms the aircon unit sounded like it was being run up to speed by a possum on a hamster wheel.

Honolulu to San Francisco by United - which is a sorta okay airline. SF is great when staying down by Fisherman's Wharf, lots of stuff nearby, but it has the usual hands out for extra money all the time. Alcatraz tour might sound chintzy but it's worth every minute - especially the old folk's bus from bottom to top and back. And the Cablecar ride is a must but be prepared for the queues.

SF to Boston by United, same service in the air (meaning very little and we avoided the coffee). Boston and it's history is a Number 1 destination and should not be missed, and we were especially spoilt by having Fred & Anne join us for a couple of days and squiring us around, over, under and out of the place to the surrounding countryside and all it's attendant revolutionary war historic sites and their home in Shrewsbury. Thanks Guys! :yess: :grin:

Boston to Dublin by Aer Lingus (leave it alone, Tafmo). As an airline, meh..! Food.... meh. They were on time, seats hard, and lots of young adults aboard. The seats had touch screens in the headrests, yet the 'young adult' behind be couldn't work that out, and even after some instruction she continued to try and drive her finger into the screen. Felt like I had a feckin' woodpecker behind me.

Dublin - yes, yes, yes, and yes! Do it again at the drop of a hat. Baycoz t'ere's t'ousands n t'ousands o hastory thurr for shurr! Just go, enjoy, and be happy. Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle, County Clare (origin of my lot), Limerick and back on a day trip not to be missed. Spoke to a guide at Moher and when he asked my name and he told me that the name O'Keef was well known around there. I asked if it was good or bad he just said 'Welll..." and gave the old 50/50 sign with his hands and we both had a great laugh. (As an aside, in my Ancestry search recently I found that my paternal grandfather was a well-known horse thief around the Longreach area). :yess: :happy2:

Whilst there we had to get Jan another coat as the brand new one she had bought 2 months back just started to literally fall apart. So we visited a department store that had a big runout sale and got a good name (DK something) one for 70% discount. When talking to the young bloke at the checkout he asked if we were Australian I said yes, he said he thought so, but was going to say Kiwis. I said that the Kiwis had a greater affinity for sheep that we did. He then asked if we were going to Wales so I asked if it was like Ireland. He answered that no, the welsh had a greater affinity for sheep than the Irish. Just brilliant and all around us had a great time laughing. Just go!

Dublin to Edinburgh by Emerald Air. A twin turboprop aircraft with two great cabin attendants named Liz and Lisa and they made the journey with their taking the piss and swapping insults with me and a few others. Liz even called me handsome so I knew she was taking the piss so I offered her my glasses and she cracked up. Great trip.

Picked up at Ed by Mick and Moira Thompson and they took us on a tour of the north west Scotland and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Just go, you won't regret. I spoke to one chap in Fort William and said one of the great parts of the trip was hearing all the great accents like his. His answer was: "What accent?" Again, cracked up.

It was great being with my old mate again, and it was just like we'd spoken the day before. Mobis, eh?

Edinburgh for 4 days, up & down the Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, and a day trip to see Rosslyn Chapel (Da Vinci code, etc.), and one off my bucket list - Hadrian's Wall over the border in England. I got to the entry building and paid my fee and they directed me to the wall nearby but said the top section was - strangely enough - at the top of the hill. So I slid and slipped my way over thick wet grass to the top, climbed onto the summit of Hadrian's Wall and survived.

Then when trying to get down, stepped into a gopher hole and that section collapsed along with me, and I face planted into the ground/mud/grass and got lots of England all over me. End result was 2 black eyes and an amount of blood plus plenty of pain. Further result was that for several days people gave me a wide berth....

Edinburgh again for a couple of days, then onto the train to London. If you're thinking of doing this, don't.

More later....

Ex WO Chippy
19th MOBI Intake
July 65 to July 85
HMAS Nirimba X 4 -Penguin-Sydney-Queenborough - Creswell - Moreton - Stalwart - Platypus - Coonawarra Reconstruction Team 76 - Platypus - Hobart - Cerberus - FHQ - Coonawarra.

Anyone can be ordinary. Shipwrights choose to be extraordinary!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

:happy: Great report, :evil3: SeeJay, looking forward to Episode II... :read1:

Ex-CPOMTH3
R42630
13th MOBI Intake
July'62 to July'74

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Warragul
State: Victoria
Yep, great read Chris!

16th MOBI intake
Jan 64 - Jul 88.
Anzac, Nirimba, Stalwart, Moresby, Creswell, Waterhen, Penguin, Vampire, GMGID (PJP), Coonawarra, Attack, Ardent, Cook, Kuttabull, Cerberus.

May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 pm 
Div. Officer

City or Town: Tinonee
Ditto, a good laugh to finish off the day. :ok:

22nd Mobi Intake
Jan 67 - Jan 89
RANATE, Sydney, Swan, Creswell, Stalwart (FMU), Cerberus, Derwent, Nirimba, Parramatta, Nirimba, FHQ (FMMO).

Post new topic Reply to topic    www.RAN-SkilledHands.org Forum Index -> General Discussion  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next